What's new

Failed to allocate memory

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Try running SQL server, IIS, Virtual PC, or VMWare at once. There are plenty of apps that allocate a gig or two of virtual memory. PJ might play games, but getting that done is no walk in the park. Anyway, I explained this in detail above, we realize that this causes people problems hopefully in the future we can come up with less memory usage. please don't degrade a complex issue like this, especially with all the swearing, it's unnecessary

Last edited:
Tagrineth said:
Jabo... it is a fuckup by a developer.

I have yet to see any other programme PERIOD give an error even similar to it.

PJ64 is wonderful, and works great... but 'failed to allocate memory' is an obvious fuckup. If it was up to general software or Windows, then WHY DOES NOTHING ELSE EXHIBIT THIS PROBLEM?
I think Jabo explained this very well, too bad you can't / don't want to understand this.
So stop bitching about it.

Geoz

De Master
RJARRRPCGP said:
Spyware may be the cause of the PC being low on memory. Make sure
you don't have any spyware.

The 'failed to allocate memory' error is more of a inconvience then anything else. It stops displaying the error after a while and its back to normal anyway :pj64:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Jabo said:
Try running SQL server, IIS, Virtual PC, or VMWare at once. There are plenty of apps that allocate a gig or two of virtual memory. PJ might play games, but getting that done is no walk in the park. Anyway, I explained this in detail above, we realize that this causes people problems hopefully in the future we can come up with less memory usage. please don't degrade a complex issue like this, especially with all the swearing, it's unnecessary

What the heck are you using so much memory for? Are you trying to imply that PJ64 1.5 pre-allocates a GIGABYTE or more before it can run?

You need at most 64MB to keep the ROM resident. Then you need at most ~8MB for the system's WRAM.

You probably need another 32MB (for a full size ROM, maybe larger, not sure how N64 emulation is run - this step doesn't even exist in SNES emulation) to store recompiled opcodes.

Then you need probably 8-16MB MAX for the emulated r4300i. 8-16MB MAX for the coprocessor.

That totals 64 + 8 + 32 + 16 + 16 = 136MB. And that's a rough guesstimate based on what I know of SNES and NES emulation.

Now let's say I'm missing a whole crapload of things. Let's say you need TWICE as much as my guesstimate - so around 272MB. How can I, for one, not allocate that much memory?

And finally... why does PJ64 1.5 Final (and SP1) exhibit this issue while no previous version of PJ64, nor any version of 1964, nor any other N64 emulator for that matter?

I respect what you've accomplished, Jabo, really I do, but this really is a silly problem AFAICS.

RJARRRPCGP said:
Spyware may be the cause of the PC being low on memory. Make sure
you don't have any spyware.

Never have, never will. And EVERYTHING ELSE I HAVE runs fine... including a full Photoshop 7. =)

Geoz said:
The 'failed to allocate memory' error is more of a inconvience then anything else. It stops displaying the error after a while and its back to normal anyway

BZZT! Wrong!

I've never been able to load PJ64 1.5 Final or 1.5 SP1. Always the Failed to Allocate Memory dialogue. Tried it within a few days of release, and what the hell, I'll try it again RIGHT NOW... yup, same problem. How can it 'go back to normal' if it never worked in the first place?

Geoz

De Master
Tagrineth said:
BZZT! Wrong!

I've never been able to load PJ64 1.5 Final or 1.5 SP1. Always the Failed to Allocate Memory dialogue. Tried it within a few days of release, and what the hell, I'll try it again RIGHT NOW... yup, same problem. How can it 'go back to normal' if it never worked in the first place?

Thats your problem, use freeram possibly that could solve the problem, i am sorry for calling it an inconvenience i didn't know that you could never/have never run/ran PJ64 final. The error does leave eventually (i know because The Skull with freeram XP like me maneged to remove it), i can only speak from experience. PJ64 is a great emu but seems to have a flaw in the code somewhere so you are just going have to ask the authors nicley to spend their free time to look back threw the SC and fix it for you.
Or write your own emu and then you might appreciate as to how hard it is.
Your not the only one who has had this error you know i have had it but manged to get around it. It's not a memory problem just a glitch, a hicup, bug whatever.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Geoz:

Tagrineth said:
I respect what you've accomplished, Jabo, really I do, but this really is a silly problem AFAICS.

I know it sounds hollow but I was short on time at the time. I *am* really impressed by everything the N64 emu authors have accomplished, and in fact the last PJ64 1.5 beta is my N64 emu of choice right now. I'd probably be madly in love with 1.5 Final if it wasn't broken. :flowers:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Tagrineth said:
Geoz:

I know it sounds hollow but I was short on time at the time. I *am* really impressed by everything the N64 emu authors have accomplished, and in fact the last PJ64 1.5 beta is my N64 emu of choice right now. I'd probably be madly in love with 1.5 Final if it wasn't broken. :flowers:

BTW, Project64 1.5 beta 1 is mostly based on Project64 1.4 and uses
Jabo's GFX 1.4, thus there will be problems, such as artifacts in Perfect Dark and/or some GFX messed up.

You should use Jabo's GFX 1.5.1 and use 1964.
1964 don't have the memory allocation problem that plagues Project64 1.5 final.

There's a high likelyhood Project64 1.5 beta 1 cannot use Jabo's GFX 1.5,
because of not recognising Jabo's GFX 1.5.

Also, with only a 800 mhz processor, 1964 would perform better, chiefly
with Goldeneye 007 and some other Rare games. Of course, your Pentium III PC system is different from others, your Pentium III motherboard supports RDRAM, thus the RAM should be faster which might enhance performance somewhat better, but I doubt in emulation.

AFAIK, most Pentium III systems only support PC133 SDRAM, because
with the exception of your Intel motherboard, Intel supports RDRAM
with Pentium 4s only.

AFAIK also, I saw an article stating that Athlons could support RDRAM,
but the major reason Athlon motherboards don't support RDRAM and only
support PC133 SDRAM or DDR SDRAM is the RDRAM architecture is patented by a company called Rambus, Inc.

Thus, RDRAM is *not* a open architecture, thus the DDR SDRAM people,
such as Corsair are trying to make faster DDR SDRAM modules, thus sometimes causing compatibility problems between motherboards, which
suck for us Athlon'ers :( .

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Heh, actually RDRAM + P3 sucks unless you have an obscenely expensive i840 mainboard.

Anyway, yeah, um... I don't even play that many games on N64 emulation, and I actually own most Rare N64 games anyway sooooo...=)

asura

I'd like to add that I am now getting this 'failed to allocate memory' preventing me from running project64 1.5, the UI never appears, there is no way to run the emu at all :(

this has occured out of the blue, as far as i am aware nothing has changed on the system.

i scan for viruses and trojans regulally but do not have automatic scanning enabled, no services running in the background for this, i use on demand only.

the system is a 2.2gig northwood P4 with a geforce4-ti4800se, and winXP.
i have 512mb of ram that tests fine with memtest86.
wndows has 290mb ram FREE as i try to run project 64, 512mb allocated swap drive space with a max of 1gb.

so lets not get into 'please run freemem' territory here, the app has been run MANY times with FAR fewer resources available.

anyone have any ideas on the real cause/solution for this yet?

Geoz

De Master
No, there is no patch or known fix for this problem, different people have done different things to fix it. I used FreeRAM XP and never had a problem again. Simple as that.

asura

Geoz said:
No, there is no patch or known fix for this problem, different people have done different things to fix it. I used FreeRAM XP and never had a problem again. Simple as that.

i have tried freeram jsut in case project64 is looking for a specific memory range (seems unlikely though) but it doesn't work.

I havn't seen anything else suggested?

it seems very strange this happens out of the blue, and completely uninstalling project64, and deleting it's directory entirely, and removing all registry entires and installing it again doesn't solve the problem.

it also doesn't explain why it can't run even the UI with 3 to 4 TIMES the ammount of resources free that it normally needs to actually run while emulating a game :(

Geoz

De Master
It happens to everyone out of the blue, for some it just never seems to boot at all. Other will run it till their HDD dies. It seems to be linked to the amount of tasks running... That about all i know, also it also effect XP systems...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
asura said:
i have tried freeram jsut in case project64 is looking for a specific memory range (seems unlikely though) but it doesn't work.

I havn't seen anything else suggested?

it seems very strange this happens out of the blue, and completely uninstalling project64, and deleting it's directory entirely, and removing all registry entires and installing it again doesn't solve the problem.

it also doesn't explain why it can't run even the UI with 3 to 4 TIMES the ammount of resources free that it normally needs to actually run while emulating a game :(
Try a search around the board. As said, it happens out of the blue. There's many people and many suggestions. Be sure to try them all.

asura

Doomulation said:
Try a search around the board. As said, it happens out of the blue. There's many people and many suggestions. Be sure to try them all.

nothing works except regressing

i've gone to usign the 1.5 BETA EXE, everything else is from the current release (1.5 final, +SP1) i jsut copied he old EXE over, and everything works.

it only uses 8mb ram to initialize project64, even with zelda loaded it's using jsut under 60mb total, leaving me with TWO HUNDRED MEG PHYSICAL RAM FREE, so i do wish the authors would stop saying it's not a bug and people just don't have enough free resources/ large enough swap file.

peace.

Last edited:

Clements

It's a bug that only affects a minority though, so is hard for the authors to fix when none of them experienced the bug themselves.

*Safe with 1024MB RAM*

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Old thread, but problem never solved. I get the exact same problems, PJ64 was working just 10 minutes ago... :crazy:
Tried restarting, going barebone with my processes, nothing seems to work.
My specs:
3Ghz P4
512MB DDR RAM
360GB HDD Space
WinXP Pro

My Pagefile is set with 766MB min and 4096 max
I've tried the solutions posted on every thread listed and the ones I searched for, but to no avail. I changed nothing, it just happened for no reason...

Geoz

De Master
And won't be fixed anytime soon. For now you are going to have to use 1964 and Jabo's Plugin. Cos that’s as close as you’re going to get to PJ64.

What I am feeling is that it's an XP thing. No 2k, 98 etc has had this problem. (As far as I know)

Just install 2k if your really want PJ, but 1964 is equally as good. Unless tehe programmers (who have never had the problem) or someone disassembles PJ and writes a patch then it looks like people will continue to have the problem.

SquareSoft0

Moogle
It's also weird that I change nothing, do nothing, yet the error still comes out of nowhere. I was just playing some games, closed it to go to the bathroom, came back and bam I got this error. It definitely seems like a pagefile / RAM fragmentation error. I've never heard of one, but is there a program that can defragment RAM?

revl8er

That Damn Good
This error can come up at any time. I don't see why it came up on my pc since I have a gig of ram. It only happened when I installed service pack 2 on my pc.