What's new

Downloading a copy of Windows XP Home SP2

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Hi,

I have a Dell system with WinXP Home SP2 preinstalled, and the system have a stick with my windows serial number and so (this green-blue stick that come with PCs that have Windows preinstalled). I HAVE PAID for my Windows license, but no Windows CD comes with the PC! I need a copy of Windows XP Home SP2 in case I want to reinstall the OS. Even no rescue disk ships with the PC.

My question is. Is there any way to LEGALLY have a copy of the Windows XP Home SP2 CD? (from Dell, Microsoft or so...).

Thanks in advance. I´ll call Dell if I don't get a workaround for this issue =]

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, contact Dell have tell them to send you a CD. You may have to pay for it, though. Otherwise there is no legal method.

revl8er

That Damn Good
There is no legal way to download it. The best way is to contact dell and have them send you another cd. Only other option is to buy another copy.

Toasty

Sony battery
Don't you hate it when manufacturers just include some cheesy "recovery CD" with their PCs and don't give you the software you pay for when you buy the PC? If anything that's actually serious goes wrong, or even if the user just wants to install multiple operating systems, there is no substitute for the authentic installation CD.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Toasty said:
Don't you hate it when manufacturers just include some cheesy "recovery CD" with their PCs and don't give you the software you pay for when you buy the PC?
Yes. God damn I hate that.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Yeah, Dell usually sends you recovery CD for Windows XP bundled with their stupid garbage-warez... thats why I bought the "Authentic Windows recovery CD' for $10 more on my new system.

Isn't it legal to aquire a Windows XP .iso (or whatever format you can d/l it as) if you have a license for its use?

Cid

Doesn't those recovery CD or DVD already have windows xp install inside them? I used to just format the computer and use the recovery disk to reinstall windows again. I'm not sure if this is still applicable anymore.

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
you know, this is why i build my own computers from scratch and have my own windows cd. pretty much, pre-built computers = shit imo, unless it's from alienware or other companies of the like. Wait, don't those pre built comps let you make recovery disks the first time you boot up with everything on it including the OS or something like that?

BlueFalcon7

OK, I have a Dell because at the time where I needed a new computer, my parents decided to give me their computer (the one I have now) for my birthday because they never used it, and I gave them the crappy one. The computer is from 2003 and it was actually purchased when I was still learning how to build computers. But beside the fact. My parents wont give me money to build a new computer, and they hire guys to mow our lawn, and they make me carry around a cell phone that I have to pay for when they do their 30 minute checkup. Go figure. At least I control the network :evil:

But I have a windows XP recovery CD with Dell. It is actually really nice, because it doesnt ask for a CD key. But if you did buy the computer from Dell or whatever, and something does happen, its morally OK to crack windows XP if it doesnt have a recovery CD with it. Theres no financial loss with Microsoft.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I own a Compaq Presario, it was one of those computers bought w/o any Windows cds. The recovery thing was on the hard drive, eating 10 GBs out of my 40 GBs HDD. So then i decided to use an utility that allows you to copy that partition in CDs (In DVDs too but I didn't have a DVD writer by then).
It took 7 blank CDs, then the moment came (I had to reinstall OS), I followed the recovery CDs and at the end it said: "Windows cannot run because setup isn't complete".
I was really pissed, so I had to get XP somewhere else...

No, there's no legal way to download that. Or maybe in Microsoft's website there's like some "Buy Windows XP" thing, they may have the option of downloading, wouldn't they?

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
It is illegal to download an iso of windows xp even if you have a legit key, that's software piracy. However, even if you did download an illegal iso, you still need a key for it, and if you buy one from microsoft that's just pointless because it costs just as much as buying a legit cd and key. Then, even if you use a cracked v.l.a. key, microsoft knows which ones are cracked and that means your using a void key, and while you can still use windows, you can't use windows update or download most downloads at the microsoft website. If you have a legit key already though, using an iso if you don't have a cd would work as long as it's the same windows version as what you had before(as in home not pro or vice versa) and hasn't been tampered with. While being slightly unethical(who gives a crap anyways), that's the only way to get your xp back without paying money.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
There are ways around the pesky WGA.

Ridiculously easy and surprizingly short ways.

Edit: You used to be able to write a short piece of java (i think it was java) in a particular files "Target" box in order to curcumvent the WGA. I'm not sure if this is still applicable.

Last edited:

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
When you buy a pc there is windows you pay the most for, not the hardware itself. I know, because i have built a pc.

legend of zelda said:
Yeah, only because windows is so overpriced. I wonder how much vista is gonna cost, probably like $500 for ultimate.

500 dollars cost too much though. That's like buying a new processor or a good video card.
EDIT: BTW, I have an Acer (which is good) that came with XP Home SP2 CD

Last edited: