What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Body Harvest HD texture pack WIP

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi guys,

With the anticipation of PJ64 1.7 coming out some day I was inspired to do a little work on Body Harvest.

This is the texture pack I always knew I wanted to make. It was my first idea even before Castlevania LOD! Now that CLOD is (almost done) and I have all of that experience I decided to do a little experiment today.

This game is not very stable on any current emulator and has clipping issues but I made it this far!!! (With cheats, I warped to Java)

Of coarse it's very WIP!

Java: 31 textures make up the ground textures you see in these first pics.

Well, check it out and let me know what you think!

Download v0.1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36DL2X02

The primary purpose of this is to get the issues fixed with the emulation and promote further work on Rice Video.

But, it is also for your enjoyment. "default" save state is a little treat for those who like to get their asses handed to them. Remember to change your weapon.

I have included files and instructions for both PJ64 1.6 and PJ64 1.7. Four save states for each and a controller profile for both.

Please read the Read Me and post your comments and pics here. I can't do all the promoting you know...^_^

Enjoy:

25iwzrp.jpg

20zczv6.jpg

huey2r.jpg

2nk1etz.jpg

sos6r5.jpg

2mzl0zp.jpg

azjmg1.jpg

29nzcew.jpg

Last edited:

cerebus5

The original game was only let down by the muddy graphics, so a texture pack would be a great way to give it some new life.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I knew it from the first picture, without looking at the user name that these great texture are done by you gitech!
You have a very unique and great style and I'm always looking forward to every texture pack you are doing.
You should try to start this one with glide from the beginning.
Totally OT: what happened with HH?

Datadayne

Wow, I always remembered you talking about retexturing this game gitech. Im glad you are making it happen, I hope to see this pack progress. I never played body harvest, but I plan on playing the game when you release your first wip textures.

MasterPhW: HH Domain recently expired and Safari al just renewed it. HH will be back shortly, but until then, here is a temporary link: http://leto.lunarmania.com/~homeb23/portal.php?sid=4133ade98585055c788f327b5d7579cf

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
You should work on the grass some more. It's waaaay too dark.

Maybe search for pictures that represent these areas and use them as reference for ow to go about making them.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Ok, I will revisit the textures. I still have them all open in PS. It does make for some good lighting effects when things like explosions happen. I will lighten it while retaining the dynamic.

Hey, check out this video made by JimLad800. I hope all this inspires someone to fix the emulation bugs and clipping issues for Body Harvest! ;)

Video:
PS: Can this YouTube video show on this page? How do I make it happen? I got it to work over at HH.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Sorry for ignoring your comments MasterPhW, Datadayne and cerebus5.

Thank you guys! :)

cerebus5,

Yep, the graphics were low detail. We're going to change that! ;) No one puts 2 and 2 together though that all 'GTA' type games made by DMA/Rockstar have always had 'bad' graphics for the system they were on. Hell, even GTA IV is no Gears of War! It's because DMA/Rockstar games are about content and gameplay. Always have been...always will be. It's crazy no one extends the same consideration to Body Harvest that has always been extended to the "GTA" series.

Xenobond,

I took your advice! Pics coming soon...:)

I have been continuing work on it and testing with PJ64 1.6, PJ64 1.7 (I donated), Rice 6.1.4, Glide64, and Jabo 1.7.0.56.

The clipping issue still exists in PJ64 1.7. One still cannot cross bridges or enter certain buildings. This has always been an issue with emulating this game. I am hoping to work with the PJ64 1.7 team to get these issues worked out.

I will be posting my retexture progress, issues with various plugins, and interesting info about this great game. I will be rewriting the first post to included pack progress, issue fix progress and "Interesting info".

Here's an example of Interesting info: This game is running on the first version of the same graphics engine used for GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas!

More to come...

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Ok, here's were I'm at now.

1. Re-did the brightness for the grass for the first 31 textures in the pics above (3 times). Original brightness boost factor was 59. Now, a brightness factor of 111. (This board makes things dark as it is raining, gloomy and foggy until you collect the three artifacts from the Earth, Fire and Water Elemental Temples and take them to the Great Elemental Temple to stop the rain.) Note: I have the fog turned 'off'.

2. I was doing the first 31 textures at 1024x1024. I am still creating the textures at 1024x1024 but am reducing the final size to 512x512. Minimal loss of detail and worth it as there are always so many different textures on screen at once.

3. Ground texture count for Java is now at 93 textures completed. This is the 'biggest skybox ever'. ;) I'd say the ground textures are about 75% complete.

4. I got to the Secret Airport and can now fly anywhere. This is making it easier now, but man was it hard to get there with the clipping issues! ;)

Pics:

1. New grass brightness - Lo-res.
2. New grass brightness - Hi-res.
3. Cool lighting effect with new textures.
4. Putting the Secret Airport together. Talk about a puzzle!
5. Secret Airport Lo-res.
6. Secret Airport Hi-res.

1y7dzt.jpg

2yvw6rr.jpg

3wrw1.jpg

smav7b.jpg

nlrktv.jpg

ws0nl.jpg

Last edited:

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Hrmm.. never actually played this game. Did some looking online because you mentioned this was developed by future Rockstar North. Going to have to try this game out then.

cerebus5

I bought this game at one time and played it for a while. The graphics kind of put me off. A reworking of the textures will make a big difference.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Here'ya go!

Download v0.1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36DL2X02

The primary purpose of this is to get the issues fixed with the emulation and promote further work on Rice Video.

But, it is also for your enjoyment. "default" save state is a little treat for those who like to get their asses handed to them. ;) :) Remember to change your weapon.

I have included files and instructions for both PJ64 1.6 and PJ64 1.7. Four save states for each and a controller profile for both.

Please read the Read Me and post your comments and pics here. I can't do all the promoting you know...^_^

Enjoy!

fslynx

Oh, this is a very very good work.Your work is AWESOME.I´m looking foward to your work.Thank you for the download link!!!
GOOD WORK!!!

cerebus5

I really like the way you have done the explosion animations. Also it seems like the ground textures have some kind of animation to them on that level with the scorpion boss, quite effective. And the water makes quite a difference.

It plays very much like a concept phase version of GTA3, like they were fleshing out their ideas for a much bigger design. It's a shame we can't do anything about the fog now, the field of vision is way too small.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Cool, thanks! I managed to fit 29 frames of the explosion animation into the 16 that make up the frames for that texture! I made the animation loop overlap more than 1 1/2 times. :)

The 'animation' for the ground is cool and this is the only game to do that including GTA's! The technology for this game is really amazing for the N64.

It plays very much like a concept phase version of GTA3, like they were fleshing out their ideas for a much bigger design.

That's the truth but would you be surprised to know that BH is bigger than...any GTA. Not in every way but in most ways! Try to identify all the things they made Adam do that you couldn't do again until San Andreas. With 5 complete maps, 5 time periods and more vehicles than any of it's children...it is a BIG DESIGN. It's a huge Adventure sand box game. I liken it to an open world Metroid for the N64. ;) GTA's are 'enter mission' sand box games but that's what makes them more accessible to...everyone. I love Rockstar and it all began for me with Body Harvest. Best investment of my time ever! A few years ago I beat Vice City with 100% completion...without cheats. DMA, (aka Rockstar North) games are always huge with lots of stuff to find!

Did you enjoy getting your ass kicked? ;) :) That was just a teaser. Play through America 1966.

It can be done without any emulation trouble as long as you: ...do not exit onto the roof of the hospital at the end of the first stage, kill the boss 'floating' over the hospital from the ally behind it with your long range riffle, and walk to the next stage from the ditches down below. Hints to get y'all started: You can go into the city sewers. The dump truck carries a lot weight. Look for a fast car. Everything is right with the world from then on. ;) Later, going faster with Nitro (spaceship fuel) makes your military vehicle 'heavier' and can knock down fences.

In Java, the fog is a part of the level. It clears up a little when you stop the rain. But it can not be done in emulation yet as the buildings you have to go in are inaccessible and using the cheat to get all the items doesn't fool the guy guarding the stone you have to plunge the knife into to stop it in the Great Elemental Temple. BTW, playing Java from my save states is not the way to actually experience the game. Most of the conflicts, events and missions have already been done, you have unlimited weapons and I give you means to just fly around making it not representative of the actual game experience. It's a survival adventure game...especially in this level.

My brother is the only other person I know that has beaten this game and has loved it and GTA's ever since. I talked to him today and he is...coming over! He lives far away.

This game was lost but now it's found. ;) I have owned over 15 copies of this cartridge at one point. I gave them away at work and to friends and family along with a write up about all of it's qualities. I will find it and post it. I'll have a real interesting first post at some point.

Think about it for a moment...this was DMA/Rockstar North's first baby, and they took good care of it. How long overdue was the release...at least a year. It does soooo much for the old N64 when the action strikes. Which is often! That scorpion boss was nothing! ;) Hahahahahehehe...yep.

Oh! I converted about 75% of it over to Jabo Direct3D8 1.7.0.56 today for PJ64 1.7 for better performance and less getting stuck on geometry. Better than Rice! ;) I'll put that up tomorrow. It will also be geared toward the PJ64 dev team with screenshots and 'bug reports' to get the closest emulation of Body Harvest even closer to perfection. I hope to create some fans here. Who knows where this could go! :)

Hey did you know the first vehicle you jump onto in Greece is named "Nico's Supplies" ?What does that mean? It's fun to notice the many lost 'easter eggs'...and there is quite a few...it's Rockstar after all. The games so big I have never even found all of the artifacts. Never!

HS! A novel could be written about this game, but it's time for bed now >_<

Good night... :party:

Last edited:

cerebus5

where is Jabo 1.7.0.56? I can only find until .55.

Where GTA3 advanced far beyond Body Harvest was in creating a sandbox environment that felt like a living place rather than an artificial videogame realm. Body Harvest gives you a lot of toys to play with but no real sense of occupying lived in space. GTA3 was the first game that really did that. I think that was the reason GTA3 was smaller than BH, because it was much more tightly focused around inhabiting an authentic city. The most exceptional thing about BH though is the variety and the physical accuracy of the vehicles, GTA3 didn't do nearly as well in that area.

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hey, did you know the Scorpion Boss you just fought has the same name as you: Cerebus! A mythical creature of Greek mythology. A three headed dog with a snake for a tail. I just noticed ...so does this Scorpion boss - Cerebus! These guys have always been sooo creative!

...It's under Downloads - Beta Downloads. Right at the top.

Yep, I agree with everything you said.

They made it post-apocalyptic to cover up the fact there are not many people. Here the vehicles and enemies are the star of the show. You can destroy their homes and nearly any building and they will run out screaming with their hands up for you to snipe, grenade, rocket launch or just run over before they find more cover if you want to do the GTA thing too. ;) It is the same kind of fun and in this case the world ends when you have had enough fun. Dramatic!!! ;)

Fun pics:
1. Cheeky. Classic!
2. Vehicles! HS! And vehicles never disappear!
3. Something to look forward to!

n3vmus.jpg

bipezm.jpg

2wr11cl.jpg

cerebus5

Actually you're thinking of cerebRus. Cerebus is a comic book character:

CerebusGraphic.gif

No relation ;)

The text on that first picture made me laugh. classic Rockstar humour.

rocksndirt3

whoaho... man... talk about muddy graphics.
Even considering that the N64 ran at 320x240, these graphics must have looked HORRIBLE on any SD TV made back then.

God, I hope you seriously improve these graphics... especially the HUD.

Good luck to you.

cheers.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
That's the plan!!! And thanks. :)

The maps are going to be ridiculous to redo...to keep it easier I will probably retain the classic Rockstar "block" map style used for all 'these GTA' games. That (vehicle) map pic is of <1/4 of ONE of the FIVE world maps! I am more intimidated by the map screen than the game itself!

I will probably try to minimize the HUD while still providing the info you need. I like games with minimal HUD. Especially on a big screen.

PS: yeah, mud has more detail than the original graphics close up! :) Though the game was meant to be played from the 'far' camera view-point like in most of the pics. But, that is why I have wanted to retexture this game from the very first day I found out hi-res textures could be added to N64 games. ;)

Last edited: