What's new

Blu-ray is going down!

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Boring Doom, I know you love anti-sony campaigns but who gives a F.

I prefer Blu-ray over HD-DVD anyways, as I will only be using it for the PC (as backup medium) whenever it comes out...

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I for one do. And I'm sure others want to know what's happening in the HD movies market as well. And who gives a rat about you?

I prefer Blu-ray over HD-DVD anyways, as I will only be using it for the PC (as backup medium) whenever it comes out...

That's practically all it will be good at. Until better solutions come. And they aren't far off.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
Sorry, Sony, you just screwed up again. Oh, and be sure to sign the petition for HD-DVD. We need only ONE standard.

That's sounds too personal, like Sony is actually a human being and you are talking to him.

I don't like the Blu-Ray format, and I know Sony is screwing up lately, but I don't consider Sony an enemy, because lots of their products are good quality. Sony is just another brand after all.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

But they sure have screwed up lately... anyway, it looks like their screwups may have doomed the blu-ray. Unfortunate for sony, but good for those who like HD-DVD. Maybe this war will come to a close soon.
EDIT: Yes, a standard pushed by Sony. Sony's format and Sony is the main backer. Companies are getting a little nervous of the BD format now...

Miretank

Lurking
The person who wrote that article is not being impartial. I hate that. Besides that, Blu-ray is not even much used yet. Too much early to say anything. Specially when related to PS3.

Doom buddy, you're getting too much obsessed with all this. :plain:

smegforbrain

This isn't Betamax vs VHS.

There are a lot more companies than just Sony supporting Blue Ray, it's just Sony is at the forefront because of the PS3.

This battle is far from over; anybody that's declaring it over already doesn't have a clue.

Oh, and how much of a surprise is this: MS wants you to use your XBox 360 as a HD-DVD player... just like Sony with the PS3. And after you tack on that extra $200 to do so, you're paying as much for a 360 as a PS3. Sticker shock, indeed.

Last edited:
OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

The person who wrote that article is not being impartial. I hate that. Besides that, Blu-ray is not even much used yet. Too much early to say anything. Specially when related to PS3.

Doom buddy, you're getting too much obsessed with all this. :plain:
Perhaps. Perhaps not. Still, the signs for blu-ray now isn't looking good. And from what I know, Sony is stealing all the blu-ray lasers for its PS3, so none other can manufacture (or will have trouble to) Blu-ray players.

This isn't Betamax vs VHS.
Déja vu?

There are a lot more companies than just Sony supporting Blue Ray, it's just Sony is at the forefront because of the PS3.
Sony is the main supporter. It's their format. If I'm not mistaken, Sony invented it. OF course they want to push their own format. Even if companies are lining up behind the formats doesn't mean they can't switch lines.

Oh, and how much of a surprise is this: MS wants you to use your XBox 360 as a HD-DVD player... just like Sony with the PS3. And after you tack on that extra $200 to do so, you're paying as much for a 360 as a PS3. Sticker shock, indeed.

Well, at least we don't HAVE to buy it with the console, unlike PS3. And I reckon there will be a price slash on the 360 soon, as the early adopters are getting fewer and fewer.
And hey, it's a very cheap player if you have a 360. Although if you buy a 360 solely for the purpose of playing HD-DVD movies, then yes, it's like the PS3...

smegforbrain

Déja vu?

No, and for the reason I stated: Sony isn't going alone at this. Other companies stand to lose as well.

In the end, we all lose because of this though: two formats is bad.

If I'm not mistaken, Sony invented it.

According to Wiki, they were part of the original Blue-Ray Disc Association, along with 8 other electronic companies, many of those others being big names in the electronic biz, such as Phillips, Hitachi, and Sharp. Wiki does not say if any one company actually got credit for creating Blue Ray.

But among the other companies that have since joined on: Apple, Dell, HP, TDK, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney, and Warner Bros.

There's a lot of money invested in these, even by the movie studios who are backing one format over another. It really is going to be a war of attrition.

Although if you buy a 360 solely for the purpose of playing HD-DVD movies, then yes, it's like the PS3...

Which is what MS, and Sony, are both pushing: use their hardware as a dual-purpose machine. Hell, use their machines to do everything. :)

In the end, it's a very logical move, all things considered. When I first got a PS2, I used it as a DVD player for awhile, because while it wasn't a great DVD player, I don't have a great tv anyways to worry about it. That, and it beat dropping extra cash for a real DVD player, since they still weren't cheap at that point. :)

I'm not saying that those predictions won't come to pass, but it's far too early to declare anything won or lost.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

No, and for the reason I stated: Sony isn't going alone at this. Other companies stand to lose as well.
Then it's a big Betamax vs VHS. Two formats battling each other. What else can it be?

According to Wiki, they were part of the original Blue-Ray Disc Association, along with 8 other electronic companies, many of those others being big names in the electronic biz, such as Phillips, Hitachi, and Sharp. Wiki does not say if any one company actually got credit for creating Blue Ray.

But among the other companies that have since joined on: Apple, Dell, HP, TDK, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney, and Warner Bros.
Shrug on that. But I do think Sony is the one that is pushing it hardest. I think.
And I believe HP has gone to HD-DVD as well. Might have to look that up...

Which is what MS, and Sony, are both pushing: use their hardware as a dual-purpose machine. Hell, use their machines to do everything. :)

In the end, it's a very logical move, all things considered. When I first got a PS2, I used it as a DVD player for awhile, because while it wasn't a great DVD player, I don't have a great tv anyways to worry about it. That, and it beat dropping extra cash for a real DVD player, since they still weren't cheap at that point. :)
But in sense, Microsoft is less evil when they offer it as add-on. That means that you can get a very cheap, bad first-generation players for a low sum of money if you have a 360. With Sony, you have to buy their bad first-generation blu-ray player. No choice in the matter.

Actually, if the war keep going on, then I would eventually acquire a hybrid player to play both formats. Not a PS3 and not a HD-DVD add-on... but since you have to pay for the bad first-generation blu-ray player for the PS3... well, bad Sony. Bad.

I'm not saying that those predictions won't come to pass, but it's far too early to declare anything won or lost.
Aye, we'll see.

smegforbrain

Then it's a big Betamax vs VHS. Two formats battling each other. What else can it be?

In a sense, yes, it is. I was just saying it wasn't quite that simple, as it isn't Sony vs the World this time. :)

But I do think Sony is the one that is pushing it hardest. I think.

Yeah, and when you get down to it, MS is now officially pushing HD-DVD hardest for that side as well because of the add-on.

The writer of that article basically said that the HD-DVD add-on will make HD-DVD. I think we all here on this forum pretty much agreed: the next generation of DVD formats was not necessary at this point in time. So, how many XBox 360 owners are going to buy this add-on for HD-DVD movies? It's hard to say at this point. XBox isn't going to put out games on HD-DVD discs, and I'm not sure anybody is truly clamoring for movies on Blue Ray or HD-DVD.

Oh, and I think HP may be supporting both formats. Or something. Yeah... attrition. Ugh.

But in sense, Microsoft is less evil when they offer it as add-on. That means that you can get a very cheap, bad first-generation players for a low sum of money if you have a 360. With Sony, you have to buy their bad first-generation blu-ray player. No choice in the matter.

I'm not really sure that makes them less evil in the end. MS is still just plain evil. ;)

Actually, if the war keep going on, then I would eventually acquire a hybrid player to play both formats.

That seems to be the way to go. When it comes down to it, having your video game console as your primary DVD player (or blue-ray/hd player) is probably A Not So Great Idea.

But if somebody can put a good hybrid player out there, they'll have hit the jackpot, because I am not about to choose one format or the other for movies until I'm forced to (ie, they stop making DVD's).

5 years ago, who would've thought that within a few short years the video game industry would be deciding the next generation of digital media for *everybody*? :)

zaba_3

Question is who doesnt love those anti-sony campaigns? :p

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Boohoo. Blu-ray seems to be doing bad.
IGN: Blu-ray Sony's Downfall?
Tech Digest: Consumers favour HD DVD over Blu-ray due to negative perception of Sony
Blu-ray drowning in negative buzz: report
Gamers Love PS3, Hate Blu-Ray

And these, my favorite quotes!
"Sony, on the other hand, has a track record of starting format wars, and losing them too. Beta, mini-disc, umd, and atrac have all been huge flops, but they just don't seem to learn their lesson because they're too greedy." -- phishbook.com
The greedy part is my favorite :happy:

"There are other issues too; the sheer arrogance of Sony is incredible, and puts me off wanting to support them." -- avforums.com
How else to describe Sony? :p

"What if you don't give a damn about watching movies on your game console? What if you prefer to buy a separate HD player? That's the rub. Sony forces you to buy Blu-ray. MS doesn't force you to buy HD-DVD. It's about giving the consumer options. Bargain my arse, as a consumer I prefer options." -- forums.adventuregamers.com
Quote of the day!

Last edited:
B

Beaner(lui)

I'm too poor anyways,But i Have a Lot Of Free SH*T!
ALOT, So It doesn't Matter...