What's new

3D Now!

Reznor007

I don't know of any way to disable 3d now on the CPU.

Disabling it in the nVidia driver just makes the driver itself not use it.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Can you list me the stepsa to deactivate it in the drivers because I can´t find it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Matata said:
Can you list me the stepsa to deactivate it in the drivers because I can´t find it.

Well on the newer drivers you can only choose to do it on the OpenGL. Its listed as "Disable support for Enhanced CPU instruction sets". This will however disable more than just 3D Now, it will also disable any other instructions given to the video card by the CPU. For intel it disables MMX capabilities (with relation to the video, other MMX instructions will remain active)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Matata said:
Too see if I can fix a problem with eVoodoo.

i seriously doubt a CPU enhancement would effect compatibility with a emulator etc... else there would be options all over emulators/games =]

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
crap, I just can´t fix this problem, eVoodoo is slow as hell exept for vrsion 2.5

Stezo2k

S-2K
Matata said:
crap, I just can´t fix this problem, eVoodoo is slow as hell exept for vrsion 2.5

why not use version 2.5 then?

to be honest, your TNT2 is letting your computer down the most when it comes to gaming performence

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
because 2.5 has a lot of GFX errors ( a lot of things are black and so on)

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
one of the glide and evoodoo testers told me that the problem was that glide 0.5 didin´t had good compatibility with evoodoo.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Matata, Stezo is absolutely right. If you really want to improve your gaming experience, Gefore 4 MX cards are not expensive at all. Were talking $30 - $50 US. Believe me its a very good investment if your still using a TNT2.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
The problem is I live in Argentina and the computer related stuff it´s pretty expensive here because the money in my country is devaluated but I´ll see if I can spend some money in it, are TNT 2 really that bad???

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Well, not that bad, geographically speaking. Here in South America cards like the GeForce2 MX are still very respected (i'll even consider buying another one soon lol). You should compare prices, and if you can get your hands on a geforce4 mx, it will be a very good buy, (again, geographically speaking :) ).

Here in Chile, at least, Asus cards with geforce4 mx, tv out and 64mb ram have very good prices. I don't if the situation is the same at the other side mountain range.

You could also try with older versions of evoodo and glide64. I think glide64 3.x is has very good compatibility with evoodoo, uhm but i'm not sure....

Kaoss626

Cut and pasted from across the web, a TNT2 is _really_ that slow compaired to some of the newer cards out there. It was really good, but it really is a bit slow most modern 3d applicaions.

official specs on the final revision of nVidia’s Riva TNT2 are listed below:

* 125MHz – 150+MHz 128-bit 2D/3D core
* 2nd Generation 128-bit TwiN Texel architecture
* 300 Megapixels per second
* 9 Million Triangles per second peak processing power
* Resolution support up to 2046 x 1536
* PCI/AGP Support – AGP 2X/4X Texturing Support
* 16/32-bit 3D Rendering Support
* 32-bit Z/stencil Buffer
* 300MHz Integrated RAMDAC
* 16/32MB SDRAM
* 2048 x 2048
* Texture Support Optional NTSC/PAL Video Out
* Optional Digital Flat Panel Output
* Direct3D/OpenGL API Support
* OpenGL ICD for Windows 9x, NT 3.5x, NT 4.0, and Windows 2000

Geforce2

* nVidia GeForce-2 MX
* 32MB 128-bit SDRAM
* Integrated 350MHz RAMDAC
* Resolution up to 2048x1536, True Color @ 60Hz
* 175MHz core,166MHz SDRAM clock
* 2 Dual-Texturing Pipelines
* 4 Texels per Clock HyperTexel-Architecture
* 350 MegaPixel, 700-MegaTexel Fill Rate
* 20M Triangles/sec Hardware Transform and Lighting
* 4X AGP with Fast Writes/AGP 2x/1x compatible
* Hardware Acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 7.x, DirectX 8, and OpenGL 1.2 ICD
* DirectX Texture Compression Support
* NTSC/PAL TV-Output with flicker filter
* Digital TwinView Display Architecture for Simultaneous Dual Display

Geforce 4 MX

Specifications of the MX480
• MX440-8X (NV18) chipset
• AGP 8x
• Memory interface 64MB DDR
• Memory bus 128bit
• GPU clock speed 275 MHz
• Memory clock speed 512 MHz
• Memory Bandwidth 8.2 GB/sec
• Fill Rate (texel/sec) 1.1 billion

concentrate mainly on the 300 million texture pixles per second for the tnt2, 700 million for the geforce 2 and 1.1 billion for the geforce 4 MX. Figgure in also the fact that the triangles per second ramp up significantly as well and its easy to see that if you are rendering an image with lots of polygons, things slow down a lot compaired to modern hardware. For N64 emulation I really would be hard pressed to run a GPU slower than a Geforce 2 unless I was willing to live with stutteringly slow frame rates from time to time.

also what things don't say is that the geforce 4 is a 5th generation of the basic archetecture of the tnt while the tnt2 is second generation. if it runs on the tnt or tnt2 it will run way faster on the later cards

Last edited:

Knuckles

well, I had a TNT2 ( but a shitty Model64 one) emulators were running ok but evoodoo was slow as hell. Now, I got a GF4MX and everything's better and faster (MX are really better than I expected).And if you want a new card for low prices, you still can look on ebay

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
The one I have is a Model64 snif :( Seems like I need a new one. I´ll look at mercadolibre.com (Argentina´s eBay) and see if I can find one.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Let us know how that goes. The reason we mentioned this is in your hardware list, you have a nice processor, plenty of memory and a good hard drive, but your TNT2 is holding you back.