What's new

1.5 game pauses

Smiff

Emutalk Member
No he doesn't have a point there, it's irrelevant if he has a 1Ghz, 2Ghz or 5Ghz or 10Ghz Athlon because they all have fundamentally the same architecture, the same cache structure, the same AGP port, etc etc. and if the plugin design is not suited to that architecture (which we all share) then it's a matter of reconsidering how the plugin is using system resources… there are plenty of options on our side, but no guarantee of reaching a compromise that suits everyone, though we can try our best, so can we stop the bickering please (yes i'm being argumentative today, no it has nothing to do with anyone here - sorry, unfortunately i do want this problem resolved so i have to check this thread).

Please keep your experiences coming, i will read all posts and consider them even if i only reply to ones that piss me off :p

Last edited:

flow``

flow``
i noticed most people have amd athlon/athlonxp systems here..

any p4 users around? :)

i also noticed many people had nvidia gf's 2/3/4/'s.. any ati people on this board apart from Gents?

jollyrancher

quite frankly I was surprised...

It just ticks me off when people take the emulator and all the hard work and sacrifices for granted. You're surprised that it's not perfect? Anyway, I don't have anything against you, 64ultramaniac, just didn't care much for that comment. Or maybe you meant something else by it... it just seems condescending... are you so surprised and outraged by this one small glitch or surprised at the 5,432 improvements?

Last edited:
Now Smiff can you see what I meant?This guy called me bitch because I said the phrase "quite frankly I was surprised".He didn't like that phrase.And he's calling me bitch for that.So I'm asking this from you Smiff as a favour because you know me,can you tell to this lamer and useless piece of shit some words about me and how much I'm the guy that he describes in his post?
Now jolly I suggest you to hang yourself and give an end to your useless and lame life.
Oh my God this one today was something unique...

Last edited:

Zilla

夢を見られた

Do you think you have the pausing problem? [Yes]

Operating System:Windows XP Pro Service pack 1
CPU type and speed:AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (1.67Ghz)
Total system RAM:512mb PC 133
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64:290mb~310mb

Graphics card chipset: PNY Geforce 4 Ti4600
Graphics card total RAM:128mb DDR
Graphics card driver:23.11 and 30.82 Detonators

Approx. how often do the pauses occur?Varies,accumulative
Approx. how long do the pauses last?varies,5~20secs

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem:Banjo Tooie (Can result in freeze, impossible to close pj64 normally), Jet Force Gemeni, Starfox 64
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem:Mario, Both Zeldas,Diddy Kong Racing

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? [Yes, apart from B.T(Mostly white GFX?)]
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? [Yes, but problem reappears after about a minute]

:pj64:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok i played through a game of Mario Kart Mushroom Cup, got 3 or 4 pauses per map, each lasting about a second, in rapid succession usually on the 2nd lap... is this what we're talking about?

Then i tried v1.4 video and got no pauses (hmm guess it was), then i tried a modified v1.5 and didn't notice any pauses... i don't think we have too big a problem here... even in v1.5 release it wasn't nearly as bad as i was lead to believe (?) ... need to fiddle about some more.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
/me slaps RaverX around a bit with a large trout.

It would be pretty stupid to release a "fix" when we barely understand what's wrong, would it not... so you just carry on giving as much detailed information about what's wrong as possible and leave Project64 team to think about what to do about it... that method seems to have worked ok for the last year or so :) The main reason for this situation arising is we don't really play games... in retrospect probably a mistake...

Last edited:

RaverX

:pj64:

hey make sure that trout is fresh.

this sounds weird i dont know what would cause this but i went back and played mariocart 64 but i set the emu to protect memory and i dont get it to pause much at all it did it in lap 2 3 times and that was it...

RaverX

got it

here is how to play mariocart64 with jago's 1.5 plugin with no pauses..

set rom to protect memory
set def memory size from 4-8 megs.

self rendered textures on
emulate primary frame buffer
emulate clear
under the frame buffer options
emulate frame buffer
update less frequently
use low rez updates.

enjoy!!!!

oh ya sync game to audio

RaverX

ok trying this i have played
automobile lambergini using that no f-ups
mariocart64 runs like a champ

mario party 1,2,3 runs fine but u must disable emulate primary frame buffer or it runs like shit but still emulate frame buffer.

hope this helps....

oh ya guys F***N great emu man keep up the good work

Jumjalum

Do you think you have the pausing problem? Yes

Operating System: Win XP Home
CPU type and speed: Athlon XP +1700 (1.47 GHz)
Total system RAM: 512MB
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: 317MB

Graphics card chipset: Nvidia GF4 Ti200
Graphics card total RAM: 128 MB
Graphics card driver: Detonater 40 Beta

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? Once every 30 seconds or so, but only some of the time
Approx. how long do the pauses last? 1-2 seconds

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: Ridge Racer 64, Mario Golf
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Mario 64

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? [Yes/No]
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? [Yes/No]

I'll edit in the missing answers later on

TotenMaske

Operating System: Windows XP Pro Service pack 1
CPU type and speed: Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz 256k Cache
Total system RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DRR (266Mhz)
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: 800-780 MB

Graphics card chipset: ViperTek Geforce 4 Ti4600
Graphics card total RAM: 128mb DDR
Graphics card driver: 30.82 Detonators

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? Varies
Approx. how long do the pauses last? 5 sec to 1 min.

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye, Conker’s Bad Fur Day

State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Mario 64, Kirby 64, Wonder Project J2

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? Yes

Does loading from a state save solve the problem? Problem reappears.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I just thought CraigG should know, The Detenator 40.X drivers are rather bad. According to quite a few sources, they don't work so well. try a back-rev to 30.x series and you may see some improvement.

Last edited:

nudetothis

Well, I installed the Detonator 40.41beta and found the performance much improved, but it also caused input from my gamepad to be delayed by about 1/3 second or so. Weird, huh? Had to go back to 30.82. Hoping they have that fixed for the WHQL version.

Anyway, I've been putting this off but .....

Operating System: Windows XP Home (no SP1 yet)
CPU type and speed: Athlon XP1700+
Total system RAM: 512mb DDR PC2100
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: 300~315

Graphics card chipset: PNY Geforce 4 Ti4400
Graphics card total RAM: 128mb DDR
Graphics card driver: 30.82 Detonators

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? depends on game and place in game

Approx. how long do the pauses last? LT 1 sec (sometimes just a blip) to 7~8 seconds

State examples of games that DO have the problem: Mario Kart 64, Starfox, Conker's Bad Fur Day, RR64

State examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Mario 64, Monster Truck Madness, F-Zero X

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? Yes

Does loading from a state save solve the problem? Not for long.

jollyrancher

The main reason for this situation arising is we don't really play games... in retrospect probably a mistake...

Not much of a mistake considering the pausing problem is the only serious new bug introduced from the 1.4 version... and Jabo already has a modified 1.5 plugin that corrects this problem. Seems like the the new "gfx bugs" aren't really bugs, but just cases where certain older video cards aren't able to handle the emulation.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I've noticed something...
In CBFD, i've had one or two small pauses. However, only very small and not often at all.

I'm using the 30.x drivers. And my specs are below...I don't think this is the "pausing problem". Playing SSB before, i didn't get any pauses.

iq_132

Banned
To 64ultramaniac:
I don't know if you care or not, but I'm a little bit anal about detail, and your current avatar is a little annoying to me, the black background changes size as he runs (Might be IE6), but I thought you *might* like it tweaked a touch: if you don't, It won't hurt my feelings :)
(Check the attachment)

To everyone else.
As for the 1.5 revised plugin, It's not out, and It'll be great :)