What's new

Best controller?

Okay, I recently started using pj64 and i love it!!!

Right now, i am using a Wingman Rumblepad. It has one less button than I want so i was looking around. I found that most people suggested that i get the adaptoid. The only problem is, i don't have an n64 controller. I know this problem could be resolved easily, but for around the same price, i could get a different controller at a store with a different button setup.

I don't know which one to get. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks

CF2

Pretends to make sense
I got a Saitek P880. It's button layout is more like a PSX dual-shock controller, but it works fine, and it only cost $20.

ShadowFX

Guardian
And if you have some more money to spend, try a Saitek P3000. I bought that awhile ago, and it's just perfect for virtually every emulator out there.

OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
Those look really nice, but where do you put the Z button?

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention that i found this one a while ago
(Logitech WingMan Cordless Rumblepad)
It has a junkload of buttons and wireless. Only problem is that my wireless internet connection is also 2.4 ghz. Should i still get it?

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
The two precision analog sticks are also buttons. That makes it a total of 11 buttons for use + dpad.

OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
Read my previous post, do you suggest i get the wingman?
I have a lower model i got like 5 years ago and i have been very happy with their products.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i use a wingman cordless (for about an hour!), seems ok, three issues:

1) no button underneath for z trigger - i use L2, the lower button on the top left
2) the analogue sticks don't seem to be optical, they're not as accurate as the n64's, but they are smoother to move.
3) can't see rumble but probably just need to install drivers..

edit:

4) and 5) oh, it's huge, heavy and the d-pad sucks! but most n64 games don't use d-pad

btw i got mine for £6 each on eBay, 'cos i like logitech mice. i wouldn't be happy at full price. there is a wingman 2 out, smaller, 2 batteries instead of 4, i wonder of the d-pad is any better?, but its about £25.. edit: warning, the rumblepad 2, the replacement for the cordless rumblepad, is missing 2 face buttons (a,b,c,x,y,z ->a,b,x,y). good for snes, no good for n64. but you could perhaps use the right analogue stick (which is spare) for the c-buttons... can't be sure how that would play though.

as for interference with your net connection, i don't think so, they're digital, you can have several 2.4Ghz pads at once i know, try googling that to be sure

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
My P3000 is also wireless and works correctly within my wireless environment (wlan). About that Logitech, I don't know about that one since I never touched it. I can only say that Saitek has some good gamepads for you to use.

OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
Thanks for the help. I realized that all of my phones are 2.4 ghz as well, so i shouldn't have a problem.

I think i will get the wireless wingman. Before i do though, i'm gonna go over to Best Buy to check it out.

I can get a refurb on ebay for 20 bucks. Should i go for it?

ShadowWulf

If youre cheap like me, just use an XBOX controller. The just a simple USB device, with a USB hub inside it as well. I had a few laying around so all i had to do was cut the end off and splice it into a USB cord, and Viola! A perfectly functional USB controller with rumble support, dual analogs, AND it works amazingly well as as a stand in for a N64 controller when the buttons are remaped. (As of yet ive had NO problems with any emulator recognizing it also, from NES emulators to GC emulators)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the saitek p3000 seems to be over £30. joke, and does not rumble.

i do quite like the logitech despite the above.

i would get an n64 pad and adaptoid (ideally) or some cheaper converter (does the boom work properly?). even if you buy an adaptoid and 2nd hand n64 pad off ebay it should cost you less than many of these pc pads new...

we should write up this controller stuff 'cos its something most people would want to know. i might do it.

Last edited:
OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
I have decided to get the wingman wireless. I want to have a controller with a bunch of buttons so i can play games like GTA with a PS controller, and have enough buttons to play n64 games with.

Emu_Lover

Personally I find the Gravis Eliminator Aftershock controller to be a very nice choice for playing N64 games. It has more than enough buttons and 2 analog sticks and all you have to do for perfect analog control is set the threshold down to around 15% in the default controller plugin setup and voila. :D

Allnatural

Smiff said:
i would get an n64 pad and adaptoid (ideally) or some cheaper converter (does the boom work properly?). even if you buy an adaptoid and 2nd hand n64 pad off ebay it should cost you less than many of these pc pads new...
A genuine N64 pad is always the best choice imo. I've yet to use a PC controller I like.

The Boom adapter has its quirks, but they've always worked very well for me and those I've sold them to.

OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
Just to let you all know, Logitech did put out a new Wireless Wingman. The downside is that it is the same as a PSX controller. Two less buttons than the older version. I think they stopped selling the ones with 6 on top and 4 in back.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ah, The True PYRO, i just edited my post to warn about the same thing. grrr. well i have two original wingmen cordless pads, two adaptoids, two super smartjoys and smartjoy pluses and super dual boxes, but no psx controllers yet, haha. hurray for lik-sang. i also have two gravis gamepad pros which suck for everything and an xterminator which was alright with ultrahle but died.. i'm never buying gravis again. thats the limit of my pad knowledge. as Allnatural, i find PC pads are a compromise not ideal for anything. only real problem with the n64 pad is they made the stick so un-durable :(

back to the first question, i just saw this in the logitech software readme (i'm trying to get rumble to work on jabo's new plugin!)

This Logitech 2.4GHz products uses sophisticated channel- and
frequency-hopping technology to avoid interference with other cordless
devices. We have conducted extensive testing of this product with other
2.4GHz devices and rf- (radio frequency) emitting devices (cordless phones,
cordless headsets, wireless networks, cordless cameras, a/v sender/receivers,
etc.). In the majority of circumstances, users will not experience any rf
interference between this Logitech 2.4GHz product and those devices.
However, it is possible that in some cases interference may occur. This
interference could result in erratic behavior of the devices or complete
loss of signal. If you notice this behavior, or static, clicking, or
humming of other devices, then there are a few simple actions you can
take to reduce or eliminate the interference.

a. Increase the distance between the Logitech 2.4GHz receiver and
the other cordless devices/receivers.

b. Turn off other cordless devices that are in close proximity when
using the Logitech Cordless 2.4GHz Product.

c. To verify that your Logitech 2.4GHz Product is connected and working
properly, check it through the Game Controller Control Panel.

Last edited:
OP
The True PYRO

The True PYRO

BURN!!!
Thanks man. By the way, where did you find that information? I'm just wondering.

*EDIT*

I just realized you wrote where you found it. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Aks

I use a Saitek p2500 which has rumble[no wireless tho :(] but it has basically the exact layout as the n64 controller, but I mapped my Z button as R and I have R mapped to the analogue down, it works flawless, it's a little bit cheaper than the P3000 that was mentioned but is a great controller for any emulator. :note it has problems mapping Point of View "UP" with jabo's so I use N-Rage's and it maps it correctly :) goodluck I'm sure any controller you get will enhance your gaming experience.