What's new

1.5 game pauses

jombee

Does anyone have any information on how to avoid the random pauses with many games when using 1.5? Using Video plugin 1.4 seems to fix this issue, but many games have other gfx issues with 1.4, that were resolved with version 1.5. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

bositman

This pausing issue is now a known issue and is discussed at the v1.5 feedback thread. Until now,there is no way to prevent it than from changing back to 1.4

OP
J

jombee

I did try the two most recent Deadaus plugins, and they do eliminate the pausing, but they both have many gfx issues, even worse then vers. 1.4. What version do you reccomend?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it's not quite a "known issue", atm it's just "something some people have reported" - for a start i've never seen it afaik... could people with this problem post their specs and some details... you can't call something a known issue when not everyone agrees.

Last edited:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
iq_132 said:
Use one of the Daedalus Plugins :)

erm......

if you have a game with this heavy Pausing, Wait till it gets in Game & then F5 (Save) Now F7 (load) & :eek: Pausing Gone :colgate:

& Smiff this is what you would call a Users Known Issues, They did have a great thread showing some really good reports, & thats kind of erm... well... been moved out of sight.

Last edited:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i seem to get in a few games too. its definitely bug from what i can see. mario kart 64 should not pause like it does, as does goldeneye and a few other games, but not ALL games.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
OK could as many people as possible answer these questions (you can copy paste with your answers alongside):

Do you think you have the pausing problem? [Yes/No]

Operating System:
CPU type and speed:
Total system RAM:
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64:

Graphics card chipset:
Graphics card total RAM:
Graphics card driver:

Approx. how often do the pauses occur?
Approx. how long do the pauses last?

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem:
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem:

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? [Yes/No]
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? [Yes/No]

Update: I've added "Operating System:" and "Does loading from a state save solve the problem?" Sorry it's taken two weeks to engage on this lol.

Last edited:
Because I was the first one that found this problem I only want to say that this is real,it's not my imagination heh,I've done extensive tests in 2 machines and definately this is a specific 1.5 plugin problem...
I just wanted to say that cos with sadness I seen some people (ppl who I like) been sarcastic about this...
And my specs:
1st machine:Athlon2000XP -256MB Ram - GF4ti4200 - Driver:Any
2nd machine:Athlon700 - 256MB Ram - GF2MX - Driver:Any
Some games with the problem:Starfox64 - Mario Kart64 - ExtremeG
Pauses doesn't have the same duration ,Starfox is definately the worst I've seen so far.These are ingame pauses (not in menus) and using 1.4 plugin fixes the problem totally.So it's not a core issue but a 1.5 plugin issue.

Last edited:

Allnatural

I too have noticed the pauses.

Operating System: Win2000 SP2
CPU type and speed: Athlon T-Bird - 1.13 GHz
Total system RAM: 256 MB
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: ~155 MB

Graphics card chipset: Geforce 3
Graphics card total RAM: 64 MB
Graphics card driver: 30.82

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? ~every 5-20 sec.
Approx. how long do the pauses last? ~1-4 sec.

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: Extreme-G, Mario Kart 64, Winback
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Turok

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? Yes
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? temporarily, the issue does eventually return

Last edited:
OP
J

jombee

detailed info

CPU type and speed: P4 2.0 ghz Windows XP
Total system RAM: 512MB DDR
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: 400MB

Graphics card chipset: GeForce 4 Ti4200
Graphics card total RAM: 64MB DDR

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? random 5 - 30 secs
Approx. how long do the pauses last? 1 - 5 secs

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem:
Mario Kart 64, Crusin World, Extreme G (many others)

State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem:
F-Zero X, Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? Yes

Although v1.4 plugin solves the pausing problem, there are many graphics isssues/glitches in many games that are fixed in v1.5.

schibo

Emulator Developer
If i could chime in here, my "guess" would be the audio update thread. When we added a separate update thread in 1964, this happened...and this is why we retracted 083. Just trying to help, because any troubleshooting helps.

Calling AiUpdate(TRUE) in its own critical priority thread is a problem. Smiff, if you'd like to pass that on, feel free.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Gent and I last week discussed this for about an hour it seemed. Gent if you want to post what we talked about it might help, otherwise i can talk to smiff about it at some point when I am back at home

jollyrancher

CPU type and speed: P4 1.8 ghz
Total system RAM: 256
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: lots (no background apps)

Graphics card chipset: Nvidia geforce3 ti200
Graphics card total RAM: 64
Graphics card driver: 28.32

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? They start about a minute into the game and will keep repeating every 5-10 seconds or so at first.
Approx. how long do the pauses last? 1-2 seconds. Seems short, but if I'm in the middle of a trick in Tony Hawk 1, it messes everything up.

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: Mario Kart (really bad... try this one Smiff on the first level), ISS 98, Battletanx 2, Tony Hawk 1, All Star Tennis... those on Duncan's RDB, etc.
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Mario 64, Zelda OoT, other platformers, Wave Race, WWF No Mercy.
Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? Yes, 100% of the time.

flow``

flow``
Do you think you have the pausing problem? Yes
Operating System: Win2k w/ SP3
CPU type and speed: Athlon XP 1600 (1.4 ghz)
Total system RAM: 768
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64:

Graphics card chipset: Geforce 2 Ultra
Graphics card total RAM: 64 meg ddr

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? about a minute into the game? then just spontaneously every 30 seconds or so after that
Approx. how long do the pauses last? about 3 seconds

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: goldeneye, F-1 World Grand Prix, like, just about anything
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: this happens in most games.. maybe mario doesnt have it

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? yes

jollyrancher

I tried that F5, F7 trick once the game starts, and although it doesn't completely solve the problem, it does help delay the onset of the pauses... and in Mario Kart it might make them less severe.

Hitman

Do you think you have the pausing problem? [Yes] I know i have it !

Operating System: 98se
CPU type and speed: intel p3 700
Total system RAM: 460mb
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64: 390mb

Graphics card chipset: 3dfx
Graphics card total RAM: 64mb
Graphics card driver: latest

Approx. how often do the pauses occur? every few minutes
Approx. how long do the pauses last? 2-3 seconds

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: Tooie +
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem: Ridge Racer, FZeroX +

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? [Yes]
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? [Yes/No] Unsure

Are we seeing any patterns in specs yet ??

RaverX

Do you think you have the pausing problem? [Yes]

Operating System:Windows xp Pro SP1
CPU type and speed:AthlonXP 1600(1400mhz aprox)
Total system RAM:256mb DDR
Approx. RAM free before starting PJ64:150

Graphics card chipset:Quadro DCC (GF3 Hack)
Graphics card total RAM:64
Graphics card driver:23.11

Approx. how often do the pauses occur?Depends on the game
Approx. how long do the pauses last?1 seconds to 3 mins

State 3 examples of games that DO have the problem: mario party 1,2,3 ridge racer 64 on some tracks,mario cart using 1.5 plugin.
State 3 examples of games that do NOT have the problem:Mario 64,banjo kazooe,fzerox.

Does using the v1.4 video plugin solve the problem? [Yes in mario cart64.]
Does loading from a state save solve the problem? [No]