What's new

Windows XP vs Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/2000

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, ok, problem solved for both those problems, ok, TWEAK XP, and PROJECT EDEN was the only game i had problems with other than that...hehe, just cancelled out your little prob, check out tweak xp, you guys just haven't given it a chance because it has "microsoft" on it;) thats what i think anyway;)

Trotterwatch

Well said Josep.

Windows XP is an extremely stable OS, this was even after I installed over a 5 month old Win98 install!

After XP installs if you do an upgrade over a previous OS, it will even allow you to revert to your previous OS by a simple Uninstall procedure. As I didn't wish to do that I deleted all my uninstall files via a simple option.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
honestly.. i'm not an MS fan.. coz of the way the company is.. but if it wasn't for MS really.. this whole comunity and the internet would be VERY diferent.. i know alot of ppl really hate MS for being so damn agresive in the PC market and wanting to be everywhere.. but well they've donne a good job with XP.. yeah the first version.. even the ones that came out on release date kinda suckd.. had a bunch of buggs.. nothing serious really but still anoying to sertain ppl running sertain hardware.. so the views on this can be very diferent for everyone.. eather way.. XP is becoming more compatible every day.. and i'm guessing will take the lead on all Windows version.. i'm pretty sure we'll all be running XP someday.. and i've had troubles with my printer and my dig-camera myself.. but after a month the new drivers came out and now it works like a charm :D.. me happy with XP..

heh.. did that sound like an MS add?..

Josep said:
haha, xp is great, you guys are complete dorks if you think your the only one that can't get it to work. And yes winxp can crash allot, microsoft did a good job of hiding it and making it a really quick process, ever have you icons on your desktop or have your tool bar at the bottom dissappear and then come back seconds later, or sometimes minutes, well you just crashed, winxp just hides it and does a better job, thats one benefit thats already good about xp;)

i hope ur not suggesting its an updated ME, cos its definitely based on the beautiful NT kernel (hence the need for win2k drivers etc)... but some of the gui features do cause some nasty bugs agreed... dialing up is also a bit of a pain:plain:

Trotterwatch

bleh, i cant dial up in winxp when my isp's servers are busy, just line busy all the time

How is that WinXPs fault though? If you use BTsurftime or anytime then the past week the connections have been a little worse, so it's nothing to do with XP:)

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
XP :*(

I have had XP on & off my System so Danm Much,
It has earnt the pet name "YOYO"

My Creative SB Live Sound Card has so many driver updates, for so many different things, Only Accessible in other countries other then mine.
I have rewrote These danm Fixes & updates from scratch,
because the 1st crash took the lot.
The 2nd crash, the danm thing moved the folders around so well, that even i don't know where it put them.
So i was happy that i backed them up to D: that time. < always a good thing with XP.

so for me, XP = :*(

Not for the OS itself, the brief time My sweet "YOYO" spends with me,
they are good time's
(Until the flusy runs off again) :/
Its the danm Support from other Manufacturers,
who should get their act together.
(or was Bill to tight to free up with a copy for them to work with)
Hmmm. That just might be it.

Last edited:

Josep

eyerun4phun
sytaylor: nO hEAVENS no nothing to do with that winme crap, jeez! Please don't mention that crap EVER! nough said about that, and the gentlemen??

Its the danm Support from other Manufacturers,
who should get their act together.
(or was Bill to tight to free up with a copy for them to work with)
Hmmm. That just might be it.

I mean, yeah, i do admit that allot of support manufacturers are a little slow on the uptake with this new os, buT DUDE! i don't think it has anything to do with microsoft, i think it all comes in time

RatTrap

GODLIKE
i agree.. but also.. i'm 100% sure there's lots of things that won't have updates.. why?.. to make us buy new hardware.. sadly.. that is the trueth :/.. like i know some companies that aren't making new drivers for my printer.. nor for my gamepad.. nor my SCSI card.. i'm stuck with slow/hardly working w2k version.. they work.. just not that great.. but it was time for me to buy new crap anyways.. i hate it that the manufacturers do this to a produkt if it's to old though.. although my printer isn't that old.. it's donne to alot of other produkts.. and when the company releases a full new line of products at the same time that a new OS arrives.. they leave the old ones behind and only do new drivers for their new lineup.. so sad.. but so true :/..

Mayco

If you like a machine that crashes the whole time, i suggest using Windows 95/98/98SE/ME. If you like a stable, nice looking opperation system, i suggest using Windows XP.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
My WinME doesn't crash much... really.
And I don't wanna leave old fun games like Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Settlers 2. :D

Slougi

Yeah Settlers 2 must be one of the best games ever :)
That's why I have dual-boot ;)

Edit: Harteex update your sig!

Josep

eyerun4phun
Harteex said:
My WinME doesn't crash much... really.

Da?! are you insane?! if you have 512megs of ram maybe, OR you play games that don't eat up your ram, and EVEN SO with given both of those WINme STILL crashed like a mo-fo, When they made Winme it was like giving a deaf and blind man the control of an airplane! CRASH AND BURN!! Ridiculous and terrible product from microsoft, winme that is:)

Pheo

all i have heard of ME for is terrible bugs and loads of patches, XP has not held itself with stability either but sure has great speed. None of the two seem to be too great at running games, especially online for some reason, and unless some better drivers come out for it, i may uninstall it completely (considering i never use it anyway)

Josep

eyerun4phun
Winxp not stable?!? Ok, maybe if your trying to install a tape drive or a pci card in agp slot, then winxp might be funky and crash, i do multple tasks at once, tasks that winme would crash in seconds, Winxp might have trouble but it will catch it self so i don't lose anything, other than that xp is flawless. No such thing as a blue screen, no locking up, and manages my small amount of 128megs of ram great

RatTrap

GODLIKE
that's very true.. and get the latest version with all the newest updates.. (i got it and didn't even need to dl more than the java virtual machine update).. and it's been working great.. i have 500 MB ram though.. i'm not sure but i've noticed ppl with 256 MB or less having most problems.. might be that..