What's new

Windows Media Player 10

smegforbrain

Well, Real Player and Quicktime *are* bloated pieces of software, so an alternative in ol' media player classic would be a nice option. :)

All in all, I've been using WMP more for avi's and such, and I upgraded from 9 to 10 and I don't really see much of a difference at all.

willljjj

Banned
euphoria said:
Amen to that. Best player available.

I love MPC, but I tend to get better vid in bsplayer, it seems to scale low resolutions up better, somehow. But yeah, real alternative and quicktime alternative are LIFE SAVERS. I would never install the real real on a machine of anyone I remotely liked.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
WMP10 is a deecent piece of software. Though it may be a little cpu requiring, practically no pc has troubles with it today.
I tend to use WMP mainly because it has everything I need, and saves me trouble from getting other software.

Why do you NEED winamp when WMP can play the mp3/ogg files? You just prefer it, you don't need to.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
WMP is almost useless for tv-out thats why you'd want winamp... you go full screen in WMP on second monitor, you click anywhere else what happens.. video comes out of it... if the res is higher than the second monitor the pictures only partially visible... for music wmp10 is nice but for video winamp is far better. (least in my opinion).

As for similar music compatibility.. thats no reason to like something more, just because its made by m$ doesn't make it a superior product, winamp's been around almost as long and still rocks.

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'll agree with Sayargh. WMP is totally useless for TV OUT, which is what i use a lot on my PC for my videos, so I stick with Winamp.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I have no reason to like wmp more because it's m$. It's just that it has everything necessary.
As for tv-out, it isn't that bad. On a single monitor for output to a tv, it works just as it should.

willljjj

Banned
Doomulation said:
I have no reason to like wmp more because it's m$. It's just that it has everything necessary.
As for tv-out, it isn't that bad. On a single monitor for output to a tv, it works just as it should.

Winamp looks better, sounds better and works better, it's been around longer, is more stable, and uses less cpu. It also has more 3rd party plugins, compatibility, skins, and a nicer design. So WMP comes preinstalled with windows? I think it's advantage (like most MS products) ends there.

I actually use winamp for alot of video because it's playlist organization > than any other program I've used, including bsplayer (sadly, as it seems to render video just that little bit nicer).

Try this: Download some music videos and put together a playlist for both winamp and WMP. Make a shortcut on the desktop for each, and then run those shortcuts. See what pops up faster, and looks better.