What's new

Why has the dolphin emu progressed more than other console emulators?

dbzkicksass

Ive been looking at emu scene and been seeing emulators for other consoles like ps2, xbox and dreamcast, but none of these are as developed as the dolphon emu ( like nearly perfect graphics on a quite a few games and running ok). i know that the dreamast and ps2 emulators have been worked on longer than the gc emulators but dolphin has progressed more than them.
Has the dolphin emu progressed faster because of the great coding of the dolphin team or is it because of the simple graphics card the gamecube uses, or both?

Gladiac0190

dbzkicksass said:
Ive been looking at emu scene and been seeing emulators for other consoles like ps2, xbox and dreamcast, but none of these are as developed as the dolphon emu ( like nearly perfect graphics on a quite a few games and running ok). i know that the dreamast and ps2 emulators have been worked on longer than the gc emulators but dolphin has progressed more than them.
Has the dolphin emu progressed faster because of the great coding of the dolphin team or is it because of the simple graphics card the gamecube uses, or both?

harhar, "simple grafics gard" ;D
Do you know that the flipper is one of the complexest things in the gc? I would say, dolphin is developed that fast because the coders are very familiar to the architecture of the gc. There are good docs about the hardware in the gc and... schibo, one of the main coders of 1964, an N64 emu for windows, also worked on the dynarec.
All the facts together made development of dolphin so fast i think. (fast.... 8 or 9 months atm)

Eyedentity

Emu technician
Also , because of vegetable working on their nerves they get stress and they have to do something to get busy , thats why the fast progress :p.
Say big thx to vegetable !

OP
dbzkicksass

dbzkicksass

ive been reading that the gc has the easiest to work with gfx card and system out of the 3 current consoles ( ps2, gc and xbox). ps2 has a very hard cpu "Emotion Engine" and graphics card "Graphics Synthesizer". Nintendo learnt from there mistake with n64 (that was meant to have a hard to work with cpu and graphics card) so they developed a very simple system and gfx for the gc.

By the way thanks vegetable for getting on their nerves :p

Last edited:

Vegetable

Banned
If I was getting on their nerves that would more likely make them slow down.
I mean, it's not like I'm going over there, threatening to slit their throats if they don't work harder. I mean, I'm not a violent person, I'm a kind, mannerful, quiet little boy.

Sometimes....

Alright, never.

Strange

Xbox emu progressed well too... Maybe more than Dolphin... But make gc emu is more harder than xbox...

yamauchi

Retired Boss
I think the most important thing is their hard work.They paid more,so they will surely get more.Thx to their excellent work.

dosmaen

PCSX2 is coming along nicely, it's a hard console to emulate. The last two sega consoles have been hard to emulate, but soon, you'll be playing Dreamcast games on your pc, and you can already play most saturn games. XBOX won't be much of a problem at all, for Windows users anyways. Gamecube emulation has progressed as quickly as it has because they based some of the code on a powerpc emulator, which they should link to on the main site or something, and many of the people are experienced in emulation.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I think I know a little bit about this...

XBox, the current trend is to make a wrapper around Windows calls to run them natively. This is slow because of the amount of work required to learn the inner workings of Windows and the best way since it can run at a decent speed if all is well. Also notice the XBox emulator author (forgot his name) hasn't been working at it consistantly.

PS2, they have a complex mess of processors and interfaces going on. I believe this is a major challenge for PS2 Emulator authors. If you do not get the timing between the processors going well, you will not achieve the desired results... reminds me of SPC<->65816 timing on the SNES.

GC, one core processor to emulate it all. The GPU is not a standalone processor and can be simulated at a fairly high level. The GPU itself handles many graphics commands at a high level. It is a very powerful graphics chip and my favorite part of the Gamecube. The DSP is another story. At current, it is being simulated at best. No one knows much of anything about its internals. I am unsure anyone ever will, but if the calls to the DSP registers can be interpreted with some degree of accuracy, I don't see why this processor can't be skipped much like RSP on the N64.

Someone with more working knowledge on the emulation aspect want to pipe in? :)

dosmaen

Caustik has been working on CXBX, he's got turok working, as well as many homebrew games. In theory, other games should work soon in it as well, it's just that he has to get ahold of them. :p

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Mwahhahahahahhah, trust me Veg, I'd die rather than kissing ass :D
In fact I prefer having MY ass kissed :p
Evrain

Viper_Viper

dosmaen said:
Caustik has been working on CXBX, he's got turok working, as well as many homebrew games. In theory, other games should work soon in it as well, it's just that he has to get ahold of them. :p

HELL YA, i belive that gamecube has surpased both PS2 emulators and Xbox emulators, but if you look at CXBX, it can run turok at almost full speed with minor graphical errors. This is a major step in xbox, but I still belieave gamecube will win in the longrun.

Animeartist

Viper_Viper said:
HELL YA, i belive that gamecube has surpased both PS2 emulators and Xbox emulators, but if you look at CXBX, it can run turok at almost full speed with minor graphical errors. This is a major step in xbox, but I still belieave gamecube will win in the longrun.

Will win? I didnt realize there was a freakin race. Im pretty sure these emu authors arent "competing" with each other in a progression level with thier projects. Who cares if this emu is more far along then another, they are differnt consoles. The fact that groups of people such as these authors acctually take the time out of thier lives to code and program these emulators is admrible. I dont think its fair to label an emulators progression higher than another, at least not to show any negativity to one another.