What's new

What's your favourite 16 bit-generation console?

What's your favourite 16-bit generation console?

• Genesis / Mega Drive

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Super Nintedo / Super Famicom

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Neogeo

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Some of those games you mentioned are indeed just copies of great games... the thing is that you can only do so many things with a sidescroller. Some weren't so much copying eachother as they were *trying* to improve on a already good thing.
Take Mario/Sonic. By the time the first sonic came out, I believe they already had at least 3 or 4 Mario games. Sonic was ment to be a more fast paced and harder game than the Mario series up to that point. Not much in common with Mario other than a sidescroller. Earthorm Jim as well. The only thing it has in common with the other sidescrollers (as all do) is powerups. That game is ment to be a funny and entertaining sidescoller. Not anything more than that, really. People, including reviewers in magazines, loved EwJ 1&2 on the genisis. And that one even spawned a good cartoon that lasted a couple years (as of course, did Mario and Sonic, haha).
Bubsy and Coolspot are good examples, however, of copying. They came out at the point when sidescollers were popular, and they weren't given much thought other than decent graphics for it's time.
My point is that not *all* (most yes, but not all sidescolling games) were crappy copies. You just chose a couple of gems that the only thing they really did have in common with other sidescolleres, is that they ARE sidescollers. You can only do so many things with sidescolling games.

P.S.
AlphaWolf, I understand you there somewhat. There are a few games that's easy to get into and keep playing for years (Halflife (PS2 & PC), Final Fantasy series to name a couple.), but most, do indeed get boring. But the conclusion I've come up with after thinking about it for a while is that, as we get older, our tastes get better, so it's harder for us to keep entertained with the smallest things that were so easy to get into when we were little. Quite a few NES games I used to love as a kid I don't really like anymore. But there are still more games than not that I like.

- Modem :)

Talas

Son of the Sky
Modem said:
Some of those games you mentioned are indeed just copies of great games... the thing is that you can only do so many things with a sidescroller. Some weren't so much copying eachother as they were *trying* to improve on a already good thing.
Take Mario/Sonic. By the time the first sonic came out, I believe they already had at least 3 or 4 Mario games. Sonic was ment to be a more fast paced and harder game than the Mario series up to that point. Not much in common with Mario other than a sidescroller. Earthorm Jim as well. The only thing it has in common with the other sidescrollers (as all do) is powerups. That game is ment to be a funny and entertaining sidescoller. Not anything more than that, really. People, including reviewers in magazines, loved EwJ 1&2 on the genisis. And that one even spawned a good cartoon that lasted a couple years (as of course, did Mario and Sonic, haha).
Bubsy and Coolspot are good examples, however, of copying. They came out at the point when sidescollers were popular, and they weren't given much thought other than decent graphics for it's time.
My point is that not *all* (most yes, but not all sidescolling games) were crappy copies. You just chose a couple of gems that the only thing they really did have in common with other sidescolleres, is that they ARE sidescollers. You can only do so many things with sidescolling games.

P.S.
AlphaWolf, I understand you there somewhat. There are a few games that's easy to get into and keep playing for years (Halflife (PS2 & PC), Final Fantasy series to name a couple.), but most, do indeed get boring. But the conclusion I've come up with after thinking about it for a while is that, as we get older, our tastes get better, so it's harder for us to keep entertained with the smallest things that were so easy to get into when we were little. Quite a few NES games I used to love as a kid I don't really like anymore. But there are still more games than not that I like.

- Modem :)

I agree with you on your last point. Hell, we dont really get excited anymore when there are three colored blocks and the games name tells us its "Lucky Luke" (Atari 2600). Back in the 80´ies that alone, and the fact that you could move those blocks with a controller were exciting enough. We aint no kids anymore.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I dunno, I still quite enjoy super metroid (just played it all the way through again a few months ago)...metroid prime isn't all that great though.

smegforbrain

AlphaWolf said:
Well, the point isn't that the games were 2D nor market share. The point is that games these days simply aren't nearly as original as they used to be. Back in the day, these games would last you at least a year or two (or three) before you quit playing it completely. Nowadays, it is extremely rare for me to find a game that I play for more than a month straight.

See, I rarely play a game for more than a month at a time. But I would never say it's due to lack of originality.

Alot of it is due to my general attitude toward gaming in general - there are so many games, and only so much time to play them all. And this applies to both console gaming and pc gaming.

Part of it is also the fact that I can learn a game alot quicker than I did as a kid, even for all the complexity that games have now.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
blizz said:
I don't think all the games in those generations were original, there was a lot of copying going on, look at Sonic and Mario, and then look at crap like Bubsy, James Pond, Cool Spot and Earth Worm Jim

How dare you! Earthworm Jim is great! ^^

I dunno, I still quite enjoy super metroid (just played it all the way through again a few months ago)...metroid prime isn't all that great though.

IMO, the only reasons Super Metroid is better than Metroid Prime overall are that SM has more little things you can do, and more sequence breaking is possible.

revl8er

That Damn Good
The snes all the way. It had great rpg's such as chrono trigger which is my favorite rpg of all time. I also liked playing zelda 3 and mario world. It was also the system that megaman x came out.