What's new

What's your favourite 16 bit-generation console?

What's your favourite 16-bit generation console?

• Genesis / Mega Drive

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Super Nintedo / Super Famicom

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Neogeo

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
J

Juan Carlos

Hi! I would like to know what's the most appreciated 16 bit-generation console between you people. I personnaly like the old genesis, but I feel curious about other's people opinion. Thaks.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
Juan Carlos said:
Hi! I would like to know what's the most appreciated 16 bit-generation console between you people. I personnaly like the old genesis, but I feel curious about other's people opinion. Thaks.

Wasn't the NES, along with the Master System an 8 bit console?

anyway Mega Drive all the way!!!

OP
J

Juan Carlos

About nes and master system

Niggy G said:
Wasn't the NES, along with the Master System an 8 bit console?

anyway Mega Drive all the way!!!

Yeah, both NES and Master System were both 8-bit processor systems

Stezo2k

S-2K
it would have to be the SNES, the megadrive had some good games, but the SNES had way too many good games, especially RPGs

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Yeah, Snes had many good RPGs, like Chronno Trigger (boy I love that game!) but genesis could display better graphics, and had a lot of arcade-like games, such as Sonic, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage... that were hard ones to beat. And talking about RPGs, sega's phantasy star 2 to 4 were pretty good games... Anyway each one has its own opinion about this, and I respect it.

Clements

The Snes could display more colours than a Mega drive and was more powerful. The Snes is my favourite since I prefer the games for the system, but the Mega Drive had some good stuff too. The two systems complemented each other extremely well and had their own selection of exclusive games.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I prefer snes. I used to play games like Mortal Kombat, and the controlls, sound and graphics were superior to genisis in every way. Snes had a lot more games for it, too, with more of my favorite games, RPG's. Genisis had a few games which were really great, Sonic series, Phantasy Star series (espically 4) and a few others. Alas though, like all sega consoles, they died out way before Nintendo's did.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

It's true that snes could display four times more colors that genesis, and its colour pallete were much greater. But, in the other side sega genesis's processor was more than two times faster than snes' one, and it could display a higher resolution on screen. This allowed genesis to show bigger and smoother sprites on screen.

scotty

The Great One
I clearly, without a doubt voted for SNES. I would actually vote SNES as the best overall console today. SNES had too many good RPGs (too bad a few of my favorites were only released in Japan), good strategy games, and some very good platformers.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

scotty said:
I would actually vote SNES as the best overall console today.

You're free to think whatever you want about Snes, but undoubtly the best overall console is Playstation 2. It's has the most variety of games and is also compatible with its precessor, the PSX. Don't think I say this because I have one: I've got the cube!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Juan Carlos said:
It's true that snes could display four times more colors that genesis, and its colour pallete were much greater. But, in the other side sega genesis's processor was more than two times faster than snes' one, and it could display a higher resolution on screen. This allowed genesis to show bigger and smoother sprites on screen.

Uh... Genesis's processor is actually about four times faster, but it doesn't do the Genny much good because its graphics and sound chips are so pathetically weak compared to SNES's.

It could not display a higher resolution. Genesis was fixed at 320x240, IIRC.

SNES's default resolution was 256x224, which IS lower than Genny's but not by much - but the system can run 512x448 if it needs to (it's flickery, though, and usually saved for menus). It can also run 512x224 within certain game situations. ^_^

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
SNES. But by a suprisingly narrow margin. The legendary NeoGeo comes in only slightly behind it. I'm hoping Samurai Shodown V Special will be a fitting end to the NeoGeo.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
*shiver* when I found out almost all fighting games were the same, I quit that stuff. The only fairly recent game I can think of that had any sort of variety, or was any good for that matter, was SF V.S. SNK. As for the genisis... have you EVER played the Donky Kong Country series? Sega only wishes it could have done anything half that good looking. Genisis had some great games, mind you, but nothing near as good looking as the snes was before it finally gave way to the much more pathetic (game variety anyway) N64.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Modem have you EVER played the Donky Kong Country series? Sega only wishes it could have done anything half that good looking. [/QUOTE said:
Yes, I've played all Donkey Country games, and complete them. Excelent graphics, good gameplay, it's required a lot of time to get through it, but it's a bit boring; searching all levels for the secret items is not fun at all.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I'm not talking about gameplay necessarily, my point is that graphically, the genisis can't even touch the snes.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Clements said:
The Snes could display more colours than a Mega drive and was more powerful. The Snes is my favourite since I prefer the games for the system, but the Mega Drive had some good stuff too. The two systems complemented each other extremely well and had their own selection of exclusive games.

Actually, the Genesis had a faster processor than the SNES. It had an 8MHz 68K while the SNES had a 3MHz WDC 65C816 CPU.

Anyway, it's a tie between the Genesis and SNES for me. So many good memories with both of them. =]

edit: sorry, I didn't see that Tagrineth already posted about the Genesis's faster CPU.

Last edited:

Slougi

Clements said:
The Snes could display more colours than a Mega drive and was more powerful.
Actually that's not quite true. The SNES could display more colours, true, but the Mega Drive had the faster CPU. That's why sometimes when comparing how well games run, they have less slowdown on the Mega Drive than the SNES.