What's new

What will happen after Windows Vista Release?

What will happen?

• People would start using it gradually and will be updated with service packs

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • People would start using it gradually but after 2 years a new version will come

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive and they will keep using WinXP

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • People won't like to buy it, they will migrate to Linux

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Dunno / I don't care

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
ScottJC said:
Vista will be cracked within days of it being in the shops no doubt, or within hours.

Of course. My point is that MS is aware of this, and is working in a way to disable Aero in pirated versions. In other words it would take a lot of time / hard work to crackers to crack Vista with Aero working.

WhiteX

Elias_Maluco said:
Wow, so many conclusions just becouse I have stated a simple, obvious fact: most home users will download it from a torrent or buy a piratred copy when they feel they need it. Actually, you just said the same thing ("Vista will get here with an unbuyable price, if it gets really necessary, ppl will get it pirated like everything else here."), so I think I can start calling you "warez kid".

Also, Im not a kid, Im probably older than you. And for my nickname, its just the name I always used on internet, not really an homage to anybody, I just think is funny.

So chill out, "anti-warez kid". Dont jump on so many conclusions about people you dont know just becouse a 2-line generic comment, it can lead you to stupid uncalled for statements like the those above.

Here we mostly refrain from bragging about piracy, which you did, we know that it exists and many times in many forms we make use of it but most of the time we´d like to live in a place where it was not necessary.

I am here for some years now and we get ppl bragging and begging for piracy every day so forgive me of my rudeness.

I am no kid as well, i am 27 and your nickname may not be intentional but it is the name used by a famous convicted murderer and you know it.

I did not jumped into any conclusions your post led me to them, if you stay here long enough you will see that a post like that, besides being off topic, from a new raises some eyebrows.

EDIT: The meaning of this thread is the adoption of the system, not the means ppl will use to acquire it.

Last edited:

Elias_Maluco

Here we mostly refrain from bragging about piracy, which you did

Did I? I suggest you to read my post again. It seens like you just read the word "download" and then freaked out. To make things easier for you, I will quote myself:

I vote for: "People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive, so they will just download it for free"

Now, where exactlly Im "bragging about piracy" here, my friend? Once again, I just stated a simple fact: many people will not buy it, they I will pirate it. More: people who really pay for their software will probably wait more before migrating to Vista, kids with fast 64 bit computers will just download it from a torrent as soon as it comes out.

The meaning of this thread is the adoption of the system, not the means ppl will use to acquire it.

Not exactlly. You have the choice:

People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive and they will keep using WinXP

Here, we are also talking about 'means ppl will use to acquire it'. And its ignoring the fact that for many, many people, as we both know, Vista will as free as Linux, so the price wont be a reason to not get it or to migrate to Linux.

Thats what I meant: is not bragging about piracy nor is off-topic. So, "mantenha a calma, amigo Branquinho". We have the same age, so I guess none of us can call the other ' kid', so lets act like grown-ups. And yes, I do know who Elias Maluco is, but talking about my nickname, that is really off-topic.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
Elias_Maluco said:
Wow, so many conclusions just becouse I have stated a simple, obvious fact: most home users will download it from a torrent or buy a piratred copy when they feel they need it.

That is not true, today most home users dont know where to download the files from. I'd say more like 20% of people will actually pirate it. Even thought the price is high, most home users will actually buy it because they dont know any better.

Miretank

Lurking
I have to agree with WhiteX. Elias, '"People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive, so they will just download it for free"' is the same thing "they will download warez". C'mon, Vista is paid software, Microsoft will never give it for free. If you're not buying, what are you doing? STEALING.

WhiteX

That is not true, today most home users dont know where to download the files from. I'd say more like 20% of people will actually pirate it. Even thought the price is high, most home users will actually buy it because they dont know any better.

Not really...Here the thing is different, it is actually easier to get it pirated than original.
when you get a new computer, you go to the local shop and buy one, the istalled software is pirated, so it is easier to get a pirate soft in Brazil than original.

EDIT:
C'mon, Vista is paid software, Microsoft will never give it for free. If you're not buying, what are you doing? STEALING.

I believe that by the international nature of this board, the situation in Brazil, that we got to discuss is very irrelevant; we are discussing ppl who are going to buy the software, not pirating it.
It will get pirated, eventually, but put piracy on the table is the same that counting burglars revenue on income tax.

Last edited:

smcd

Miretank said:
I have to agree with WhiteX. Elias, '"People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive, so they will just download it for free"' is the same thing "they will download warez". C'mon, Vista is paid software, Microsoft will never give it for free. If you're not buying, what are you doing? STEALING.

On a technical note (using dictionary terms and U.S. law) copyright infringement is not stealing. Yes, it is a crime, but it isn't stealing. :p Theft indicates a physical loss of property, where copyright infringement isn't able to represent a physical loss. There are separate laws for each. The RIAA and MPAA love to make people think they are the same thing and are (unfortunately rather successfully) blurring the lines, at least in the U.S... and apparently their ideals are spreading to other countries where raids have cracked down on people sharing files on services such as edonkey.

Side note, people deserve to be compensated for their work if you find it useful enough to use/enjoy.

Miretank

Lurking
Ok it seems I've got a bit hard on this one :p But what I tried to say is that "downloading for free" a thing that is PAID is crime.

rcgamer

the old guy
im sure microsoft will make it so everyone has to upgrade eventually. but unless forced i dont see vista doing all that well for a while. eventually yes it will become mainstream but not as quickly as OS's have in the past.

TerraPhantm

They won't necessarily make anybody buy it, but they'll probably do to XP what they did to 2000. They'll slowly drop support, realease "Vista only" things, like a new version of WMP (WMP10 was XP only), and make Vista's service packs add more features compared to XPs.

And of course, there's DX10.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
i guess that at least here on Costa Rica ppl will still use XP because Vista needs strong computers and here almost every computer is crappy
also, ppl are used to the "old" windows GUI, not Vista (I think it got worst)
i don't think it will succeed here probably until 2010 or w/e :(
i'll try to get my Vista as soon as it comes out :D

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
yegosimo said:
i guess that at least here on Costa Rica ppl will still use XP because Vista needs strong computers and here almost every computer is crappy
also, ppl are used to the "old" windows GUI, not Vista (I think it got worst)
i don't think it will succeed here probably until 2010 or w/e :(
i'll try to get my Vista as soon as it comes out :D

Is not that every computer is crappy, is that Vista has very very high requirements, specially for Aero. So I'm agree it will take a lot of time for the transition.
It won't take time to get use of Vista GUI,with or without Aero is the saem idea, only that Aero has the transparency, animations and other stuff, but the GUI concept is still the same, there aere just afew changes of course.

zion said:
Hopfully there will be another version of Windows already in the making!

AFAIK only the server version of Vista that will be released after some months of Vista release is being developed

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
zion said:
Hopfully there will be another version of Windows already in the making!
Of course there is... Vista 2.0, coming somewhere near you... in 2010.

On a side note, actually I wouldn't really say the requirements for Vista is high. Because those requirements are standard game requirements, if not less. The problem, however, would be you'd need 2 X that hardware if you want to play games.
Although this does not apply to some countries which are poor and use older computers. It's sad, but in these countries which do not have this problem, Vista requirements shouldn't be too bad.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Shin_Gouki said:
2010? later ....
I think it will take significantly more time to create a new WinOS.
wbr Shin Gouki
I wrote "Vista v2.0." Not a new OS ;)
It will probably be Vista will all its bells and whistles that were supposed to be in Vista but were cut out due to the lack of time.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
Of course there is... Vista 2.0, coming somewhere near you... in 2010.

On a side note, actually I wouldn't really say the requirements for Vista is high. Because those requirements are standard game requirements, if not less. The problem, however, would be you'd need 2 X that hardware if you want to play games.
Although this does not apply to some countries which are poor and use older computers. It's sad, but in these countries which do not have this problem, Vista requirements shouldn't be too bad.

The problem is that not every PC is used for gaming. Most of them are used for work, and have integrated graphic for example. They don't currently have 2 Gb of RAM for just using Word all day you know.