What's new

What will happen after Windows Vista Release?

What will happen?

• People would start using it gradually and will be updated with service packs

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • People would start using it gradually but after 2 years a new version will come

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive and they will keep using WinXP

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • People won't like to buy it, they will migrate to Linux

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Dunno / I don't care

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
What do you think will happen? Please join the discussion without flaming the other people!

revl8er

That Damn Good
Just like every windows version, people will go to it within the next two years after it is released.

smcd

I don't think people will be interested in buying it by itself. It'll largely be a "forced" adoption by OEM vendors continuing to force people to "pay the MS tax" when buying a PC. Another route of "forced" upgrade will be some gamers wanting to play games that require DX10. I, for one, will not be upgrading anytime soon past its release.

Toasty

Sony battery
It will just depend on the kind of person you're talking about. Computer illiterates who just buy what Dell tells them they need will end up buying it with their new computer. Gamers who want games that require DirectX 10 will buy it out of necessity. Other than the gamers, I think adoption of it will probably be a lot slower in the tech savvy user department, as Windows Vista isn't really going to offer a whole lot of new stuff (DirectX 10 excluded) besides eye-candy.

Aside from Windows 2000 and the rest of the NT-based Windows before XP (which suffered from compatibility problems), all the DOS-based Windows versions were just plain buggy. BSOD was an just about an every day experience for me with Windows 98. Windows XP solved a lot of big problems with the old Windows lines, and while there are still quite a few little quirks, it's good enough to keep me from ripping my hair out and manually rebooting my PC every few hours. There are more free software enthusiasts out there today than there were a few years ago too, so I think Linux and other free OS's might start to get more attention in the years to come.

There's my two cents worth anyway - I can't wait for the first full ReactOS release! :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
People will start using it. No way around that. Especially people who knows nothing about computers and buys one from a local store, where Vista will be included.
And eventually microsoft will drop support for older OSes, games and apps will require the new OS, and so on...

BlueFalcon7

Microsoft hasnt come out with their new OS too quickly, in fact, I think that Microsoft is overdue for a new OS. If this is any leap up like win2000 to XP, than Vista is going to be awsome. Vista will be sorta like XP though, people will be skeptical, but it will sell. Im confident in Microsoft that they know what they are doing, and Bill Gates has enough money, so they arent going to do any mean marketing strategies. I have seen Vista in action, and it looks pretty awsome.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Personally I think it'll be the next Windows ME. I've tried the beta myself and I aint that pleased with it.

It's bloated, Full of that DRM crap and personally I can only see interface changes at the mo (even though I know there isnt just that)

I'm happy with XP and wont be changing for a good while

WhiteX

In Brazil, the vast majority of computers are still using Win98.
That happens because of compatibility with the corporate solutions we have here, only now these solutions are migrating to be WinXP only, on the PDV front (that´s the computer that serves as the supermarket cashier) we´re still on DOS for the most part, so here, unless smth crazy happens, Vista will most likely get leaped over till the next one arrives, just like ME was before it.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
I'm finishing my degree in Industrial Design and I would take Linux if Adobe released its suites for that OS. So I'm planning to get a MacBook in a near future (if I can afford it).

WhiteX

Here´s not the place to talk about piracy, Elias...

It´s a shame everytime i encounter such a disgrace to my country, warez kid with a screen name of a convicted murderer and druglord.

Shame on you, man.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Interesting aproach WhiteX, here in Costa Rica I estimate that 60% of PCs are using Win98 and the other 40% are using Win2000 or XP. I haven't seeing a Win95 or DOS based PC arounde here in years

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
WhiteX said:
Here´s not the place to talk about piracy, Elias...

It´s a shame everytime i encounter such a disgrace to my country, warez kid with a screen name of a convicted murderer and druglord.

Shame on you, man.
Actually, I would do the same if I were to get Vista. What you get for it versus the money it costs, it isn't worth it.
But that is not what the topic was about.

I don't see the option for 30% of the market will upgrade within 6 months, and after 18 months 60%+ of the market will be using vista. Microsoft are going to push hard for people to upgrade this time round, especially the corporates.

WhiteX

t0rek said:
Interesting aproach WhiteX, here in Costa Rica I estimate that 60% of PCs are using Win98 and the other 40% are using Win2000 or XP. I haven't seeing a Win95 or DOS based PC arounde here in years

The problem here is the age of the machines and the software requirements; business machines here range from Pentium 100 till Athlon 64, being mostly Durons and K6´s with 256 meg of ram, tops.
With such machines and the fact that most "selling front" applications are DOS based, it gets difficult to have XP machines here.

On the SOHO deal it gets a litte different, we get a lot of new machines, mostly based on Semprons and Celerons with onboard video and 256 meg of ram as default, i gets very difficult to see a machine with 512 meg and a gig of ram is used mostly on small servers, those machines are XP capable and most of the time it is getting used on them, however due to the late adoption of the system by the local PC manufacturers, users tend to rely on Win98 because of being used to it or by being easier to them to reinstall without calling paid service.

The "Gamer" machine here gravitates around a fast Sempron or Celeron and not very often on an Athlon 64 and very rarely on P4, 512 meg is a default for them and they get budget video cards like the FX 5200 and 5500, the 6?00 series and the X1?? we are only getting now, those machines are all using XP.

Being the first about 70% of the market, the second with smth like 25% and the last with 5%, i can honestly say that in Brazil with piracy included Vista will most likely sink.

EDIT:
Actually, I would do the same if I were to get Vista. What you get for it versus the money it costs, it isn't worth it.
But that is not what the topic was about.

If the comment came from you, i would consider it, that dude is just a warez kid celebrating the name of a wicked murderer and feeling better than other ppl because he can pirate smth.
Vista will get here with an unbuyable price, if it gets really necessary, ppl will get it pirated like everything else here.

Last edited:

Fabricio_EX

I was impressed to see that here the university's computers are all P4, although still with 256 MB RAM. Well, like WhiteX said, it's rare to find them here (mine is a P3 866 MHz, 128MB RAM). About the Vista, I won't buy it because I know it won't run on my machine (not to mention the price).

Elias_Maluco

If the comment came from you, i would consider it, that dude is just a warez kid celebrating the name of a wicked murderer and feeling better than other ppl because he can pirate smth.

Wow, so many conclusions just becouse I have stated a simple, obvious fact: most home users will download it from a torrent or buy a piratred copy when they feel they need it. Actually, you just said the same thing ("Vista will get here with an unbuyable price, if it gets really necessary, ppl will get it pirated like everything else here."), so I think I can start calling you "warez kid".

Also, Im not a kid, Im probably older than you. And for my nickname, its just the name I always used on internet, not really an homage to anybody, I just think is funny.

So chill out, "anti-warez kid". Dont jump on so many conclusions about people you dont know just becouse a 2-line generic comment, it can lead you to stupid uncalled for statements like the those above.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
WhiteX said:
The problem here is the age of the machines and the software requirements; business machines here range from Pentium 100 till Athlon 64, being mostly Durons and K6´s with 256 meg of ram, tops.
With such machines and the fact that most "selling front" applications are DOS based, it gets difficult to have XP machines here.

There a lot of machines here like that ones but they are running Win98, but there are almost no Pentium 100 here, "selling fronts" are very basic here but they are made for windows. But the transistion time for Vista will take probably 3 years here

WhiteX said:
The "Gamer" machine here gravitates around a fast Sempron or Celeron and not very often on an Athlon 64 and very rarely on P4, 512 meg is a default for them and they get budget video cards like the FX 5200 and 5500, the 6?00 series and the X1?? we are only getting now, those machines are all using XP.

Same here, except that P4s are used instead of A64s, I currently don't know anyone here using an Athlon 64 here (seriously, not even a 754 one) That's because the main distribuitors of hardware here in this little country are not selling them. Maybe because of some dark deal with the Intel factory located here in my country.... I buyed all my Rig (except for the floppy, case and PSU) from eBay

WhiteX said:
Vista will get here with an unbuyable price, if it gets really necessary, ppl will get it pirated like everything else here.

The few members that arrive from my country are always silly too. Just check out Yegosimo's posts

About pirating, Microsoft knows that Vista will be pirated but it stated that Aero won't be available to Pirated versions. I don't know if this will become true but is already challange for the crackers I guess. If Vista "Pirated Version" get aero enabled I'll have a pirated version instead of spendig $400

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
t0rek said:
About pirating, Microsoft knows that Vista will be pirated but it stated that Aero won't be available to Pirated versions. I don't know if this will become true but is already challange for the crackers I guess. If Vista "Pirated Version" get aero enabled I'll have a pirated version instead of spendig $400
Vista will be cracked within days of it being in the shops no doubt, or within hours.