What's new

What game do you anticipate most?

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Perfect Da... Oh right. That was already released...

- Pokémon Online (Someone from Ninty said that they are evaluation the possibility of starting Online with that title...)
- Crystal Chronicles
- Super Mario 128!

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Hmm...you know, I think I might be changing my mind about looking forward to Half Life 2....why? Because it will require Steam. That basically means this: No internet connection? No game. So, wherever I happen to drag my laptop that doesn't have a wireless node, I won't be able to play even in single player mode. That isn't the worst of it; if your internet connection at home dies, if you are dialup or have bad latency overall, or valves servers are simply offline (this happens a lot actually,) then sorry chum; your fucked.

I used to like Steam during its beta period, but I quit using it because third party modifications like natural selection didn't work with it. The latest version of half life required steam, and I figured it would be no big deal to go ahead and start using Steam regularly...then I just found out that the commercial version of steam is a huge pain in the ass (you can get NS to work with it, but its a huge hack and the game is overall buggy and slower than with normal HL, plus its a bitch to send comand line parameters to third party mods). Steam is evil now, and I think that the fact that valve is going to require it for all of their games, (even single player ones) from now on is very gay.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
A connection is not required for single player Half Life 2. I didnt expect that from you, Alphawolf.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
pj64er said:
A connection is not required for single player Half Life 2. I didnt expect that from you, Alphawolf.

Alright, I'll tell you what: go update your copy of half life (the first one of course) to the latest version, disconnect your computer from the internet, then try to play single player. Tell me how well it works. Valve said that from now on all of their games will work this way.

It's of course possible that the HL2 leak doesn't require an internet connection, mainly because it can be modified at will not to, but also because the build that was stolen was probably a pre-"steam required" build.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
AlphaWolf said:
Alright, I'll tell you what: go update your copy of half life (the first one of course) to the latest version, disconnect your computer from the internet, then try to play single player. Tell me how well it works. Valve said that from now on all of their games will work this way.

It's of course possible that the HL2 leak doesn't require an internet connection, mainly because it can be modified at will not to, but also because the build that was stolen was probably a pre-"steam required" build.

Ive already seen the steam system before replying. I know that it does not currently allow you to play anything offline. However, people have already asked valve about this and HL2, and they have said that if you bought your HL2 from a store (ie not off steam) you will be able to play offline.

edit: from steampowered.com's faq

TECHNICAL SUPPORT

* Do I have to be connected to the Internet when I play Steam games?

The short answer is yes.

All Steam-enabled games require you to be connected to the Internet in order to play.

Note: some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required.

* UPDATE *

Work on offline/LAN play is now nearing completion. To play any Steam game while not connected to the Internet it will only be necessary to let Steam finish downloading all of that game’s content, at which point you’ll be able to play games without connecting to Steam.

So in the near future, steam itself will allow offline play.

Last edited:

pandamoan

Banned
doom 3
new 1964
mario double dash through emulation (higher resolution!!)

and i look forward to new controllers for PCs that have better durability and analog control.

that's about it.

new_profile

Hi there,
What do you think about Prince Of Persia the sand of time. I think that will be one of my preferred game. It's already there for PS2 and soon for Xbox, GameCude and according to a site that I visited for GBA.