What's new

What game do you anticipate most?

jollyrancher

After a long streak of average games, there are finally some quality titles coming out in the next few months. Which one do you anticipate the most? I'm going with Gran Turismo 4 because they've had time to figure out the PS2's capabilities and the game should blow away any other racing game just like GT1 did when it was released. Honorable mention: Halo 2.

Clements

I've fallen out with the new games, been left behind a bit...

I'd say Doom 3. Looks beautiful to me! Might run like a dog on my PC though! :w00t: No Ultra Shadow for me :(

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mrrrrr... TBH I don't know what I'm looking forward to most, but I can't wait to get Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes early next year. Also VERY MUCH looking forward to Megaman X: Command Mission.

My answer WOULD have been simple (the next Ogre Battle Saga episode) but the bastards at Quest had to go and give away their software division...

OP
J

jollyrancher

Clements, Doom 3 should run great on your computer. All these rumors about needing a 3ghz computer with a Radeon 9800 Pro to run Doom 3 well is nonsense. It's just created by hardware makers to get people to run out and buy new hardware that will only make minor improvements. If it can't run well on a P4-equivalent with a Geforce3+ then you'll have hordes of angry consumers returning the game. They know that the lower the requirements, the more people that will be able to buy the game. And they can't expect everyone to run out and buy a $1500 system just to play one game... I mean how many other games don't run great on your system????

Clements

Well that's good to hear, I knew about the different paths for Half-Life 2 so that you can use Pixel Shaders 2.0 or the faster 1.4, and there's the custom nVidia path in there so that the framerate is acceptable for nVidia users (mostly meant for 5900 owners though), wasn't sure about Doom 3, as it uses weird graphics methods so I wasn't sure how it all worked.

I loved Doom 1 and 2 and the expansions so this will probably be no different.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I've got Mario Kart Double Dash - with that I'm set for the next 6 years! And online play too.. Oh God.. ;)

OK, I think I'm a little too addicted! ;)

revl8er

That Damn Good
I don't really know, I have been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out, but it doesn't seem like it ever will so I would say Metal Gear Solid 3.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Doom 3 will run on an xbox for christs sake...xbox has a celeron 733mhz and a GPU roughly equivalent to that of a gf4 ti4600.

Doom 3 will probably be nothing but "deathmatch against multiple AI enemies" though...if it does have a storyline, it will be half assed at best. HL had a great storyline, I anticipate no change in HL2.

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
... What the hell are you talking about AlphaWolf? DOOM 3 more or less uses the EXACT story line of the first doom, only its now properly done, because technolog has finally gotten to the point Carmack can make the game what he wanted it to be in the first place.

Ill be waiting for the damn half-life 2 though won't run on my crappy pc, and mgs 3 for sure, though I have no ps2 (hopefully some bad programmer will make the PC port).
I think doom 3 has nice graphics but its the same old FPS kill the bad guys and save your ass.

OP
J

jollyrancher

Actually I'm starting to to think the same thing with these FPS's... same old thing with better graphics. The original Half-life is one of my favorite games ever, but I began to tire of it in the later levels (only partly because the later levels weren't as good). And I used to play Unreal Tournament all the time but I don't play it much anymore... remember how hyped UT2003 was and then it turned out it was just the same thing all over. At least HL2 and DE2 have some adventure/plot elements that keep you interested.

jollyrancher said:
Actually I'm starting to to think the same thing with these FPS's... same old thing with better graphics. The original Half-life is one of my favorite games ever, but I began to tire of it in the later levels (only partly because the later levels weren't as good). And I used to play Unreal Tournament all the time but I don't play it much anymore... remember how hyped UT2003 was and then it turned out it was just the same thing all over. At least HL2 and DE2 have some adventure/plot elements that keep you interested.

Its mostly due to the fact that all PCs are bundled with mouse device.... then the FPS turned out being very popular and now every PC developa is in the mood of programming some 3d engine with cool efects, and a FPS, while in consoles, we have more variety and thats why I think best games in history were developed for consoles.
And yes, though half-life is the best after GTA VC, I was tired at the end, specially in the outter space levels. Probably HL2 will turn out to be the same thing with a betta plot, but what da hell, its HL!!!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
Doom 3 will run on an xbox for christs sake...xbox has a celeron 733mhz and a GPU roughly equivalent to that of a gf4 ti4600.

Doom 3 will probably be nothing but "deathmatch against multiple AI enemies" though...if it does have a storyline, it will be half assed at best. HL had a great storyline, I anticipate no change in HL2.

Eh? No... one of the first details Carmack gave wrt DOOM3's style is that it would be more like Quake2, a few smart enemies place to scare the bujeebus out of you at just the right times. It isn't DOOM-style MOW THOSE BUGGERS DOWN!!1!! gameplay; Carmack conceded that that's Croteam's domain now.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Eh? No... one of the first details Carmack gave wrt DOOM3's style is that it would be more like Quake2, a few smart enemies place to scare the bujeebus out of you at just the right times. It isn't DOOM-style MOW THOSE BUGGERS DOWN!!1!! gameplay; Carmack conceded that that's Croteam's domain now.

But you know what? Carmack says that everytime before ID releases a new game, and somehow the storyline always ends up being bland.

The thing with ID software is they just develop the game engines and sell their concept to consumers. Other companies license their code and then THEY make the real shit.

Max Payne...
Half Life...
Medal of Honor...

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
MGS3.. FF11 for PS2.. hmm.. too much to think of. I just got Chaos Legion and Jak II for PS2 and Beyond Good & Evil for Gamecube.. got Viewtiful Joe and F-Zero GX a while back but still haven't beat 'em. So, I'm set for a while PS2 & Gamecube wise, though in February Crystal Chronicles is mine. Fsck Xbox, I'm gonna trade the damn thing in at gamestop for $100.. that way when a new game comes out I'll use my Xbox to get it (or two). :w00t: :watsup:

Last edited: