What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

caveman

caveman
opengl/cross platform support

it would be nice to have opengl support as d3d sucks. and i don't realy like ms at all, i just use it cus thats what everybody else uses. and im running a quadro card which makes me hate d3d even more then i already did. its abolutely rediculous that everybody supports microsft. For one thing unless you download the developers directx package your missing alot of the files needed for $%@# to work properly. (no problems with pj64 but other stuff doesn't work) And d3d is proprietary which means that their will be less cross platform development. And not only that but MS is going twords getting rid of opengl making it so that you have to emulate it over d3d which is going to slow things down alot, and piss some people off. Id get myself a mac G5 but the money i had saved up for that i spent when i hitchiked to Redding CA in november last year. As it is im working on getting the osx x86 to run on my pc. I tried once and the image that i downloaded was corrupted and it gave me this error when booting up "error parsing plist" This is off topic but if anybody knows what this means or how to fix it that would be cool.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
F-3582 said:
Well, the only thing I'm really dying to see is the LLE graphics plugin you are currently developing. Do you try to make it show the graphics as accurate to the original as possible (FB effects as one point) or do you try to reach 100% game compatibility, first?

At this point it looks like that is a possibility, completely in software.

EmuNoviceUser said:
You're mentioned per-game plugin settings. How about per-game controller settings as well instead of manually loading separate JSF files for different games?

Screenshot saves in PNG format instead of BMP (files are usually smaller).

The per game controller settings I wanted to do a while ago, good reminder,
Also didn't 1.6 save in jpeg or png format? I forget, it's been a while

Anyway this is good stuff, we plan on using this thread to accumulate lists of things later, so please keep posting.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Only things I want in the new Project64 are:

1) Tris in Donkey Kong 64 completely gone without any negative drawbacks (As well as. Missing effects like the Number pads transparency)
2) Goldeneye/Perfect Dark Sky working.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
MiretanK.O said:
An auto-update feature for the rom list would be cool too :) I don't like to press F5 everytime my rom folder changes...

heh it's already in: monitors the rom folder, partial updates (doesn't need to refresh whole list), much faster, visible refresh (you see the browser fill in). lot's of cool stuff here already done :)

MI6CIA007

Well, it is already awesome to begin with. I can't think of things you alreaty listed, but to me, the most important are:

# Better widescreen support
# Transfer pak for pokemon stadium
# Save selected plugin per game
# 7zip support
# Backup instant saves

These are in order of most important to least important.

Personally, if there were no other improvements, I would wish for better widescreen support.

jahra!n

How about some more debugging and development tools and addons. Im sure some of these things could be done with just the pluggins but things i would like to have are things like:

-Rendering Layer Disablers
-Individual Sound layers Dissablers/Dumper
-Free Camera
-Camera Editor
-Memory Dumper
-Dissasemble

Oh and how about a port to the sony psp?

EDIT: just had some more ideas for high res texture projects:

-Shader Editor
-Support for pixel shaders for thnigs like normal and bump mapping for higher res appearing models.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
Since PJ64 is very promising in the core/application itself, why don't you guys make it. errm, prettier? XD :p
Hmmm, have you guys ever thought about PJ64 using skins? XD, or at least, an option to put an image on the Rom Browser background? :D
Ok, seems useless, but it sure makes the desktop prettier! :p

Seriously, what about a new icon? have you guys thought about it? :)

Kolano

-Grouped archive support
i.e. allow for muliple roms in an single archive, this allows for considerable savings on the storage of regioned roms. (i.e. 7z's of Banjo-Tooie (U),(A),(E)=93.2MB vs. 1x7z of all=37.4MB)

-Per game setting
If implemented, should provide clear indications of games that have custom configs.

-Rar support

-Archive conversion (i.e. convert between unarchived/zip/7z/rar)

-Mic plugin

gandalf

Member ready to help
Well...
Plug-in sellection per game
more compression formats support (7z,rar)
hi res textures :lol:
Internet/Lan gameplay
most clements suggestions are great ;)
any possibilities of shadows in models/maps "per pixel" and not "per poligon" (like some of the future things in Direct 64)
video plug-in configuration per game

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
A memory viewer/editor and CPU/Co-processor debugger would be a godsend. :D

Also, if possible, emulation of the built-in exception handler than N64 games have (think Zelda OoT's, accessible via any DMA error, IE, crooked cartridge). Currently emulators just stop on such issues.

Last edited:

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
The only two things I'd really like to see are Netplay support and better advanced graphics emulation (framebuffer effects, lighting, shadows, and whatnot in the more graphically demanding games).

For Netplay I would advise against Kaillera. I'd much rather have smooth, highly optimized Netplay and have to trade IP's with people for direct connect than use Kaillera.

Other than that I pretty much agree with most of what everybody else has suggested.

jeffkong

Here are a few new suggestions

• menu option to clear file history
  • Auto Load last save state option
  • Save Project64 preferences in a .ini file - for easy backup

I think they're simple suggestions, though I don't know about the last one

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Jabo said:
Also didn't 1.6 save in jpeg or png format? I forget, it's been a while.
My mistake. It saves as JPEG. I use the same icon for JPEG and BMP images but a different one for PNG.

Sorry about that.

Poobah

I would really appreciate it if the ideas in the initial post (and in Clements' post) would be added.

With the 7zip support, a customisable priority thing where only the highest priority version of a game in the 7zip archive was displayed in the ROM list would be very handy. Of course, just the 7zip support in its most basic form would still be fine.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
7-zip support for ROMs is already in current betas, but not final. it displays all the ROMs from an archive in the browser. (no 7zip for saves, and probably not worth the speed loss anyway)

v1.0-1.5 saved screenshots as BMP (i think), pre-1.6 was lossless PNG for a year or so (which was really slow). 1.6 final was JPG, current is JPG. Jabo never seemed keen to have an option for type.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Oooh, I got one! Faster and better framebuffer support (ex: full speed jigsaw puzzles in banjo-tooie). It has to be possible because a lot of it is already done in Orkin's plugins.