What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
a couple of things.. pj64 is not 1964 or nemu.. KISS. no offense but i can't think of any worse idea than looking at others and going "yeah, we could have that".

the kind of person who replies to this thread may want options for everything, but most people do not. they just want something that works. you wouldn't believe the debates weve had internally about adding or not one control.
the RSP selector is a good example. we have it in beta so we can test easier.. but don't say "how about.. an option.." say "we need this option because..." and then probably can add that capability so the option isn't needed, or automate it, or finally consider adding the control. Jabo would nearly always would rather fix the problem, rather than add a workaround - because everything the user needs to do is a workaround and has to be documented as such. everytime someone fails to RTFM (or posts an FAQ) is a reminder to me that the problem isn't really fixed. this particular point, i'm on the fence, i would probably now make the RSP selection an advanced control at the bottom of the plugin selection tab.

having advanced and basic modes as we do also helps sometimes, so think whether a control should be only visible in advanced or not, or never.

Clements i like the small bug-fix suggestions like fixing the about box :) small simple things are much more likely to get done!

things like CPU optimisations are totally up to Jabo, if he doesn't feel he can get a significant gain out of it (like several %) it's not worth the extra pathway you have to add with the extra testing and possibilities of going wrong. i personally have just bought a Sempron with SSE3, but don't expect much out of it, and of course CPUs with the extra instructions tend to be faster anyway so they need it least. so better to optimise in general code.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I thank i speak for all of us when i say

I/we would like to see individual plugin saving per each game

like the mupen64 and 1964 emulators have

Jabo

Emulator Developer
MiretanK.O said:
I agree with Clemets :)
Some games seems to run better with a different RSP plugin than PJ64's main plugin. Example: some games runs better when use Hacktarux's RSP in PJ64, but to do this, you need to replace the rsp.dll manually, what sometimes is a bit boring :)

Though I'm not sure if this will solve all the problems, may be problems are still in PJ64 core... I mean examples like Rat Attack - in PJ64 it is slow, almost unplayable - but in other emus with different RSP, it runs perfectly. :)

While we may provide this option in private betas, we should work toward making the one included with PJ work in these games instead, and is a lot more valuable than having 2-3 plugins that play all the images and avoids what I like to call "plugin hell" for users, where they have to figure out what to plugins work in what games. Help make us aware and I think we can fix most of these issues in the beta process.

Last edited:

Clements

Jabo said:
Hey clements, just a little feedback - I'm not sure how much SSE2 would really help, also why do you want a RSP selector? I am not concerned about the feature, but, actually why you would want it, is there something other RSP plugins allow you to do?:sombrero:

The official RSP is no doubt very high quality, and in the majority of cases works fine. However, I would like to use Hacktarux's HLE RSP plugin when testing games that have some RSP issues without renaming stuff each time I want to switch. Other RSP plugins may also help with speed on low-end systems somewhat.

Smiff said that this has already been done to aid in testing, and I would agree with him that it should be an Advanced Option (Only revealed when you uncheck 'Hide Advanced Options' in the settings config), as most of the time a user should leave it as it is.

I wasn't sure whether SSE2 support would reduce CPU cycles used or not, and thus increase my battery life on my laptop, so I threw it in as a suggestion as emulators are starting to support it. Also, with LLE graphics starting to become an option, we could need all the help we can get here too, as it is currently slow.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i have already drawn up designs for plugin-per-ROM, flexible plugin status for rom browser, pak switching, and other things, it's mostly a matter of zilmar getting time and getting agreement on exact functionality we want. but it'd be good to hear how others want these done, since these haven't been done yet.

jabo's vid plugin UI is already considerably improved since 1.6 imho (unuseful controls removed, useful controls added). the input plugin could probably do with some changes, depending if we wanted it to look more like an n64 controller or not. i quite like it how it is.

Last edited:

Firewave

What about the still "unsupported microcodes"? It would be nice to finally see the "Toukon Road" games working.

knowitman

Along with the per game settings which many have mentioned, there is one thing that I haven't seen anyone else mention.

This is a movie mode. I know on some emulators it records the button presses on each frame and then can play the game back using those button presses. This would be nice so you could show off certain moves or do speed plays and let others download the file with the button presses rather then an avi file.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
alright i didn't realise Zilmar had linked to this from the frontpage... ok suggest anything you want, more unusual the better - or if you think you have a better way of doing something already in. donators can see development builds as things progress, but if he wants to hear what anyone wants, go for it. (i guess the "no feature requests" rule is suspended for this thread :))

things not to suggest please:

1) fix unsupported games (since it's obvious, we know what all the games are!)
2) make it faster (things like this are too general)
3) anything on the list like netplay, since we're either already doing them or already considering them. unless you have a particular point about them.

that still leaves a lot of possibilities for people with some imagination..

Last edited:

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
It's great knowing you want our ideas at least ONCE in a while though I bet you have more work than you can deal with already!

You're mentioned per-game plugin settings. How about per-game controller settings as well instead of manually loading separate JSF files for different games?

Per-game macro shortcuts (playing Mortal Kombat, press a single key to perform pre-programed Finishing Moves)

I was going to suggest a rapid fire option (checkmark beside each button in the Controller Plugin settings that cuts the signal on and off rapidly as you hold a button to simulate tapping it quickly) but that isn't used in many N64 games is it?

Screenshot saves in PNG format instead of BMP (files are usually smaller).

Amazing work you have done so far! Keep it up!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
PrineOfPersia said:
Cheat Creation tools
Transfer pak for pokemon stadium

would be nice!

greetz
PrineOfPersia
Transfer Pak support is already in the N-Rage plugin. Doesn't it work with Pokémon Stadium?

64fanatic

Wondering

If you do decide to put netplay back in, will you be using the dieing kaillera or will you develop some new program?

If you put kaillera back in, it'll probably get used more again, but then again, its really old and it seems to die quite alot lately, i wouldn't be surprised if the master server got shutdown the last time soon.

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
64fanatic said:
If you do decide to put netplay back in, will you be using the dieing kaillera or will you develop some new program?

If you put kaillera back in, it'll probably get used more again, but then again, its really old and it seems to die quite alot lately, i wouldn't be surprised if the master server got shutdown the last time soon.

When I do get to putting netplay in I will review how good kaillera fits our need, If it does not then I will create something new.

melchoir

Guru of Reason
My requests are many Src related...
Full 64-bit CPU incode support, as well as SSE's 1, 2, and or 3 Support
For OPtimized Compiled Builds, maybe even Dual-Core CPU support as well to make use of the greater Processing POwer available today.... :) :) :)

SRC available for Private Custom "Ultra Optimized" Builds
(Or you could make this available to Donating Members by compiling OPtimized Builds on request :) )

oh yeah 64-bit Optimized Plugins :)

Keep up the good work

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Well, the only thing I'm really dying to see is the LLE graphics plugin you are currently developing. Do you try to make it show the graphics as accurate to the original as possible (FB effects as one point) or do you try to reach 100% game compatibility, first?

n00by duddy

As far as I am concerned:
-Configuring short cut keys
-Cheat Creation tools
-Save selected plugin per game

and please allow to change states names according to rom filename
(masterquest has the same internal name than oot)

peoman

How about 64DD games support?
I know that these games are not dumped, but someone out there should do the job.

The microphone and tranferpak must be done if you want to say that pikachu and pokemon stadium are "fully playable".

I don't know for sure (the game is not playable for the moment) but Mario no Photopie dosn't need mouse support?

As for 7z support it is the most needed addon.
Check Nestopia (NES emu) that already supports 7z.
When you select the 7z file it pops up a listbox with the roms that are inside (only the ones supports the emu *.nes, *.fds...)
The same happen with zip and rar file if they contain more than one file inside.

Nightmare666

layers disabler. I'd love to rip sprites from certain games. I'm aware that you can do so by snatching the sprites with Rice but disabling the layers INGAME would be cool

also the ability to take screenshots as BMPs (if it ain't in already)

Miretank

Lurking
An auto-update feature for the rom list would be cool too :) I don't like to press F5 everytime my rom folder changes...