What's new

Well, I did it (Adaptoid)

nudetothis

Ordered the Adaptoid tonight. I'm finally fed up with PC gamepads .. the best I ever had was a Gravis cheapie USB that was ten bucks. It was too light but it was easy to configure in all emulators. Anyway, recently got a Logitech Cordless Wingman Rumblepad. Luckily I got it as a gift and didn't have to pay for it. When I got it, thought I was in heaven. Wow, analog sticks were great. Wireless control, even better. But the fact is that the D-pad on this overpriced thingie is the worst -- THE WORST -- I've ever used. So, I was basically screwed on SNES/ZSNES/GENS/ROCKNESX. Can't have that.

So, now we'll see about this Adaptoid. Says 3-5 business days so I'll BTT this thread when it's hooked up. Anybody want to make me feel better for dropping $30 on a cable?:)

Yeah sure heh, I think the adaptoid is damn good...
I'm not disappointed with mine, but you may feel different cause ur not me lol
but yeah i think you did the right thing

Allnatural

Ditto on the Wingman's D-pad; crap crap crap. I have yet to see a PC pad that was any good. If you ask me, the worst console pad is still better than the best PC pad. That's not to say the N64 controller was the worst; I'd rather use an XBox pad than a PC pad. ;)

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Yeah. I'd love to get one, but I have a 6 and 3 year old that would demand one as well for thier computers. I just don't have $75 bucks right now to throw down on them :(

Maybe by Christmas, hehe.

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

Thubb, is you have the corded wingman I agree its a better
d-pad than the cordless. But it still blows compared to a Nintendo or Sony console pad. My cordless wingman has been in use for less than 6 weeks ... already the A and B buttons are sticking (staying depressed after finger is lifted), and the D-pad like I've said is pure crap. On the other hand my original SNES, N64, Sega Saturn and PS1 pads all still work like a charm.

If all youre doing is N64 youre fine with a crappy d-pad, but if you like old school (2d) then you got to have that + shaped pad. I have high hopes for the Adaptoid/N64 pad combo, and from what others have said here about it I can't wait.

yawis3632

i like my 2 thrustmaster firestorm dual powers, with 13 progammable buttons and mapping software its a pretty versital gamepad for PC, i think the d-pad on it is great. the rumble support is great and the analog stick are perfect, but maybe its just me...

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
the old microsoft sidewinder is perfect for N64,
it has exactly the needed ammount of buttons and in the perfect locationing for it. Except one thing, theres no analog then.
if i press up, it would be like the n64 controller holding up all the way. So when u play an adventure game, normally if u make it go up a little, he would walk first before running.

for the plug, once i get an N64 controller and the adaptoid, does any emulation support it so i can just the walk/run thing?

Mayco

microsoft sidewinder pro has annalog support, but it hasn't a "Z" button. Other then that, it's a perfect N64-controller :)

icepir8

zero88 said:
the old microsoft sidewinder is perfect for N64,
it has exactly the needed ammount of buttons and in the perfect locationing for it. Except one thing, theres no analog then.
if i press up, it would be like the n64 controller holding up all the way. So when u play an adventure game, normally if u make it go up a little, he would walk first before running.

for the plug, once i get an N64 controller and the adaptoid, does any emulation support it so i can just the walk/run thing?

There is a plugin for it TR64 Adaptoid LLE 1.1 .

Thubb

nudetothis said:
Thubb, is you have the corded wingman I agree its a better
d-pad than the cordless. But it still blows compared to a Nintendo or Sony console pad. My cordless wingman has been in use for less than 6 weeks ... already the A and B buttons are sticking (staying depressed after finger is lifted), and the D-pad like I've said is pure crap. On the other hand my original SNES, N64, Sega Saturn and PS1 pads all still work like a charm.

If all youre doing is N64 youre fine with a crappy d-pad, but if you like old school (2d) then you got to have that + shaped pad. I have high hopes for the Adaptoid/N64 pad combo, and from what others have said here about it I can't wait.

well i don´t use the pad so often, so my buttons are still in good shape :D (it´s a non-cordless with no FF-support :( )

but i love the layout of the wingman, it´s almost the same as the original snes-pad (and mostly i play snes-games), but u can also play n64 games because of its left and right triggers...

Thubb

Zoomer

Yeah, c'mon guys - the Thrustmaster Dual Shock is an amazing PC gamepad. It's just like a ps2 controller except with 2 triggers and a much cooler feel. Although a little heavy. Anything Gravis just sucks and is defective.

KingTom

aka "Passion"
i agree w/ te defective part
i got a (blackhawk) joystick(beautiful thing, nice size[i got da more bigger hands i do] i drew it for art class once and got 10/10 on it) and it never not once worked

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

OK, just to finish what I started.... the Adaptoid came today and this is what I have to say....

it works.

It took less than ten minutes to install drivers, reboot, then configure it in 5 different emulators. No problems. Rumble too, no problem. Its awesome. Get one. Now I'm gonna go play.

P.S. You should already be familiar with the performance of a real N64 controller, so all I consider worth reporting here is how the Adaptoid did its job of bridging the gap. However, it is very very nice to have that console quality feel while playing on a PC.