What's new

VooDoo 5 5500 PCI info needed

Stezo2k

S-2K
AlphaWolf said:
Compared to what? Another card with a glide > opengl wrapper? Of course thats going to be slower. I've had voodoo cards, I never thought glide was anything special. I've always looked at it as a stripped down proprietary counterpart to opengl.

Half life on a voodoo 3 running glide wasn't as fast as a geforce classic ddr running opengl.

well when comparing my old geforce 2 in fifa 99, they both seem to be excellent, i dont know whether my old Voodoo2 was using glide in it, but it seemed to be similar in performence, the same with Kingpin. I dont know much about apis, but glide seems to be a pretty good performer

and about halflife, that worked pretty well on my Voodoo2 12MB, but games were advancing then, slower than my GF2, more than likely due to the DDR Ram on the geforce series

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:
heh, i know that, it was just an example, using glide on a voodoo can make it faster than openGL in some cases

Right, but see thats because they run the opengl layer through the glide layer, hence making the opengl layer be a bit slower. This doesn't happen on non 3dfx cards.

Stezo2k

S-2K
AlphaWolf said:
Right, but see thats because they run the opengl layer through the glide layer, hence making the opengl layer be a bit slower. This doesn't happen on non 3dfx cards.

ah i see, thanx for the info :) heh you know your stuff :phone:

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:
Compared to what? Another card with a glide > opengl wrapper? Of course thats going to be slower. I've had voodoo cards, I never thought glide was anything special. I've always looked at it as a stripped down proprietary counterpart to opengl.

Half life on a voodoo 3 running glide wasn't as fast as a geforce classic ddr running opengl.

Half-Life doesn't support Glide, and never has. The 3dfx option was only to use a 3dfx MiniGL driver, which is a basic OpenGL driver that only supports the functions Half-Life requires. The 3dfx option in Quake2(and all other Q2 based games) is also MiniGL, not Glide.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, I don't know a whole lot about 3D stuff specificaly, but I know that the opengl drivers for 3dfx cards are broken without the glide libs, which indicates to me that its not the same as any other cards opengl ICD.

Reznor007

All 3dfx card drivers for OpenGL (full ICD or MiniGL) do rely on Glide files to do some of the basic operations(triangle drawing, etc.), but the games I mentioned do not send out direct Glide API calls, it is standard OpenGL stuff.

milen

Koolsmokey's experimental opengl driver is standalone and don't require glide.It's based on mesa (opengl 1.2) and is not very compitable.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Reznor007 said:
no stencil buffer(unless it was added as an undocumented V5 feature)

First off, not only does VSA-100 naturally support a stencil buffer (not in GLide but yes in OGL/D3D, naturally, since GLide is technically still 16-bit only and thus CAN'T support stencil), it also supports a full 32-bit Z buffer - only other cores that can do that are Radeon R6 and R200, IIRC. :)

And 3dhq did a fantastic job on Direct3D 8 support :)

Reznor007

Tagrineth said:
First off, not only does VSA-100 naturally support a stencil buffer (not in GLide but yes in OGL/D3D, naturally, since GLide is technically still 16-bit only and thus CAN'T support stencil), it also supports a full 32-bit Z buffer - only other cores that can do that are Radeon R6 and R200, IIRC. :)

And 3dhq did a fantastic job on Direct3D 8 support :)

I know the VSA-100 supports stencil, however, Glide does not, so it's a moot point. And I think the newer PowerVR cores support 32bit Z.

I tried every 3dhq driver set, and none of them worked better than the 3dfx 1.04 Win2k drivers. Using the 3dhq drivers I had to play Warcraft 3 in OpenGL because D3D was horribly broken(missing half of the polygons), while the official drivers work perfectly. I have still yet to see proof that 3dhq did ANYTHING worthwhile. The only non-official 3dfx drivers worth their file size Colourless's GlideXP or koolsmokey's Glide(now combined with Colorless's stuff).

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
3dhq mainly did work on getting D3D 8 to work; yes, they broke some stuff in previous versions but try some games that use heavy DX8 (without pixel shaders), like Unreal2. If you install the drivers right you should get far better functionality than with 3dfx's last drivers.

Reznor007

Tagrineth said:
3dhq mainly did work on getting D3D 8 to work; yes, they broke some stuff in previous versions but try some games that use heavy DX8 (without pixel shaders), like Unreal2. If you install the drivers right you should get far better functionality than with 3dfx's last drivers.

I tried Unreal Tournament 2003, and got horridly slow performance, missing polygons, and random triangles popping up over the screen.

I haven't seen/heard anything from them that left me with any faith. The new ICD that never turned up. Fully functional DX8 drivers that never showed up. And a new video card that "sadly" never made it to production. It was all talk. Colourless and koolsmokey are the only 2 to actually produce something worthwhile. Even the beta WinXP VoodooTV drivers are crap. BTWincap or DScaler provide much more functionality, and aren't even designed specifically for VTV.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
Why waste all of that effort on updating drivers for a dead card?

Because some people still have V3-5's and don't have the MONEY for new cards; also talk to anyone from SimHQ, it took a LONG time for them to give up on their V5's.

Reznor007:

I said Unreal 2, not UT2003.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
Because some people still have V3-5's and don't have the MONEY for new cards; also talk to anyone from SimHQ, it took a LONG time for them to give up on their V5's.

Yeah.. It's taking me quite a long time to give up mines.. ;) Glide rocks in emulators..

Reznor007

Tagrineth said:

Reznor007:

I said Unreal 2, not UT2003.

Essentially the same engine. I also don't have U2, as I heard it wasn't near as good as U1.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, I don't know much about V5 performance, but I am guessing that its not as good as a GF4 TI4200, which indexes at $122 for the 128 meg version.

V3/V4 are definitely no better than a GF4 MX440, which indexes at $53 for the 128 meg version. Thats about the price of your average video game...I am a bit reluctant about saying it, but it sounds to me like they have a religious passion for the name 3DFX or something.

I abandoned them years ago :p

EDIT: Ok I just looked it up, the little sold Voodoo 5 6000, which was the best of the 3dfx pack ever made, barely matches that of a GF2 Ultra, which now costs peanuts. The V3-5 users would definitely benefit from a GF3 Ti200, which indexes at $64, and has all of your DX8/9 features.

Last edited:

milen

AlphaWolf, in some countries 120$ are a lot of money. I work whole month for 200$ as a programar in Bulgaria. My priority is LCD monitor not video card. I plan to keep my Voodoo3 for at least 6 months. At least I can enjoy Glide64 without wrapper.
For N64 emulation I don't need newer card.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
AlphaWolf said:
Well, I don't know much about V5 performance, but I am guessing that its not as good as a GF4 TI4200, which indexes at $122 for the 128 meg version.

V3/V4 are definitely no better than a GF4 MX440, which indexes at $53 for the 128 meg version. Thats about the price of your average video game...I am a bit reluctant about saying it, but it sounds to me like they have a religious passion for the name 3DFX or something.

I abandoned them years ago :p

EDIT: Ok I just looked it up, the little sold Voodoo 5 6000, which was the best of the 3dfx pack ever made, barely matches that of a GF2 Ultra, which now costs peanuts. The V3-5 users would definitely benefit from a GF3 Ti200, which indexes at $64, and has all of your DX8/9 features.

And there is the Voodoo 5 6000, one of which sold for $2000 at ebay!! Man, why do people like that card so much.

Here is one example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3407094731&category=3762

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
ra5555 said:
And there is the Voodoo 5 6000, one of which sold for $2000 at ebay!! Man, why do people like that card so much.

Here is one example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3407094731&category=3762

Actualy, thats not even the worst of it. The going rate for this pathetic marketing scheme of a card was somewhere around $696

(Reason I say "pathetic marketing scheme" is that 3dfx managed to get their followers to believe that the card was "more powerfull" because it required an external power source. How cheesy do you get...honestly?)