What's new

Vista + DX10

gokuss4

Meh...
Damn interesting thread, I haven't read anything on emutalk with this quality in a while. :p

About Vista, I don't know too much about it, but some of the stuff sounds promising, the real thing I have a beef is with the DX10 and Halo 2 exclusive support. I was hoping for H2 to come on the PC for a long time, but now I find out it'll be Vista exclusive. :ranting::gunman: I need to catch up on my PC stuff.

I like using XP, it works well enough for me. I don't have any problems. I don't load any extra crap drivers. my system bar is pretty much empty. I like it simple, yet with security. Just keep your system clean and organized and you're good to go. ;)

edit: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/p-4.html

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I've seen screenshots of Aero running, but I'm interested in watching a video, to see the animations moving, if you know what I mean

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Miretank said:
That's why we love: Window Blinds 5. :p
I disagree - Window Blinds 5 is the massivest resource hog of them all, sure you get transparency and other fancy things but at a cost, I prefer Style XP as it uses windows own skinning engine to render. Also nothing Microsoft does will prevent it from being pirated - Microsoft think they're invincible until someone on the same day as their release cracks it.

Remember this: Companies like to bluff. The general public might believe their shit but I don't.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
ScottJC said:
I disagree - Window Blinds 5 is the massivest resource hog of them all, sure you get transparency and other fancy things but at a cost, I prefer Style XP as it uses windows own skinning engine to render. Also nothing Microsoft does will prevent it from being pirated - Microsoft think they're invincible until someone on the same day as their release cracks it.

Remember this: Companies like to bluff. The general public might believe their shit but I don't.
Nevar! :p
Windows Blinds 5 is not eating away resources like you think, it doesn't even appear on the task manager. What I know, from my own experience, is that consumes some graphics card power and may disturb some D3D apps. On emulators it disturbs a bit (depending on the plugin you're using, and I'm saying in windowed resolution), the glass borders get black. But press Alt+enter and you'll play in fullscreen normally, and in full speed. If you press Alt+Enter to turn on window again, the borders will be glassy. :)

Definately, WB5 is worthy if you want the "Glass Experience".

StyleXP is pure shitware. If you mentioned it due the fact of changing skins, actually you can use the Uxtheme.dll Patch and be free from all the crap it is - Style XP surely EATS MEMORY like a hell. But normal Windows Visual Styles can't do pixel-per-pixel transparency - and thats what Window Blinds do and that's what I (and all those who want try out transparent window borders) am looking for.

"Also nothing Microsoft does will prevent it from being pirated - Microsoft think they're invincible until someone on the same day as their release cracks it."
Ah, of coursa. Vista will become cracked for sure. h41L warez0r!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hmm, it has been a while since i've used windowblinds right enough... back when my PC was a pile of trash and all - i decided to give it another try. I have the Vista Theme running now haha - it really does look authentic....

I haven't quite figured out how to get the "Glass" experience though ;) - to be honest I like this theme quite a lot.

Miretank

Lurking
It really depends with theme you're trying to run. The best theme I've got that is really like Vista is Vista 5308. The window borders are transparent, more the taskbar. Take a look at it.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ScottJC said:
Any chance of a link to where I can get that version of the theme?
IIRC, wasn't this theme reomved from most theme sites because Microsoft stepped in and said that it violates the EULA?

Miretank

Lurking
Nope, m$ prohibited the author to distribute that theme. :p
i'll send it to ya

EDIT: @Agozer, the first theme removed was VistaXP. Now, this one. :\
EDIT2: Damn Scott, you don't receive PMs. :p
EDIT3: If anyone more wants that theme, pm me.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Funny you should edit2 just after I enabled them, hahah. Irony. Cheers!

Edit1: Running theme now, seems pretty good - indeed.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
Haha, yesh, that's what happened. :p
Plus the skin, you have a lot of Vista icon sets floating around the net...

Blacklord

Banned
I say if you hate memory hogs patch your uxtheme. To me it is the best sollution. But you can't get transparency.

Miretank

Lurking
Just tell me WHAT eats memory in WB5.

Take a screenshot of your memory usage WITH and then WITHOUT WB5, you'll see its almost the same - moreover, people only use Window Blinds when they want their PC looking good.
I have only 512Mb of RAM and a 64Mb GPU, and it runs perfectly here. No excuses. But if you only want to change for simply skins, try uxtheme then. Do not forget that even uxtheme uses memory.