What's new

vid plugin problem with PJ64 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEROSENE

Hello,
I've been using Mudlord's Rice Video 6.1.4 with PJ64 1.6 with no problems whatsoever. Now that I'm using it with PJ64 1.7,
its slow, jerky, pauses for a few seconds, and generally misbehaiving. I was wondering if there is a patch, or mabey a more
recent version of that video plugin. thanks in advance.

OP
G

GEROSENE

just downloaded it. same thing with Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video 6.1.8.. seems to be zero difference other then the name change.
the VI/s on GoldenEye is 60 whereas with rice its 18-20 for most of it.
looks like Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.53 is still the KING.

Toasty

Sony battery
Please direct any questions about PJ64 1.7 to the beta board, which anyone who acquired a legitimate copy of the emulator will have access to.

OP
G

GEROSENE

why? this is the project64 forum is it not?
yah this copy is not "legitimate" as you put it.
what illegitimate is that every single N64
emulator out there is guilty of piracy. so
sing your sanctimonious BS elsewhere.
I'm talking about a video plugin thats not
supported by PJ64. so I'll get no answers
there.

Allnatural

there.
Technically you'll get none here either, as this board deals with PJ64 only and not third-party plugins. I suspect most of us here are still using v1.6 anyway.

Also, the beta board seems to be a spambot haven these days, so you're probably out of luck regardless (legitimate or not).

Toasty

Sony battery
what illegitimate is that every single N64
emulator out there is guilty of piracy. so
sing your sanctimonious BS elsewhere.
there.
Emulators are programs and are not guilty of anything, nor are their writers as long as they didn't use any underhanded methods to develop said emulators. You're talking about a video plugin that's giving you problems in PJ64 1.7, specifically. (As you stated in the first post, PJ64 1.6 works fine with it.) Hence, my suggestion that you proceed to the board that is specifically intended for PJ64 1.7 bugs/support.

If the copy isn't legitimate, it's possible the problem you're experiencing isn't even present in the official release of the emulator - which is why you typically won't find PJ64 1.7 support anywhere other than its official beta board.

OP
G

GEROSENE

Technically you'll get none here either, as this board deals with PJ64 only and not third-party plugins. I suspect most of us here are still using v1.6 anyway.

Also, the beta board seems to be a spambot haven these days, so you're probably out of luck regardless (legitimate or not).
thanks for your answer. and yes your right about the beta board. two visits resulted in 108 adware "hitchhikers" lol.

Emulators are programs and are not guilty of anything, nor are their writers as long as they didn't use any underhanded methods to develop said emulators.
yes your kinda right. the legal controversy is about the video game downloads, or ROMs, themselves. these are protected under copyright laws, and it can be a violation
to download or use them. this leads to an interesting situation, where it is perfectly legal to own a video game emulator, but not to own any
games for it. many video game emulator and ROM sites post a disclaimer saying that you may only download the games if you own the respective real
versions of them, but this is often disregarded. N64 has a BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) or a variation of, and hence that would be the
copyright problem.

You're talking about a video plugin that's giving you problems in PJ64 1.7, specifically. (As you stated in the first post, PJ64 1.6 works fine with it.) Hence, my suggestion that you proceed to the board that is specifically intended for PJ64 1.7 bugs/support. If the copy isn't legitimate, it's possible the problem you're experiencing isn't even present in the official release of the emulator - which is why you typically won't find PJ64 1.7 support anywhere other than its official beta board.
my copy 1.7.0.49 is NOT a beta. mabey sugest to the mods here to have a PJ64 1.7 forum here.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
my copy 1.7.0.49 is NOT a beta. mabey sugest to the mods here to have a PJ64 1.7 forum here.
Nope, won't happen, the beta board on the PJ64 board (you can't see, because you didn't donated) is for the beta talk, no outside chat about this stuff.
And all PJ 1.7 releases are betas OR alphas.
Even if we wanted to, because the admin of ET is missing in action.

Last edited:
OP
G

GEROSENE

donate for what? haha gimmie a break. this is the net.. pay for NOTHING.. welcome..
i'd rather wait for patches to be available. like i said i dont have the "test drive" model of 1.7..

Toasty

Sony battery
In that case, the old saying, "You get what you pay for," applies here.
this leads to an interesting situation, where it is perfectly legal to own a video game emulator, but not to own any
games for it.
Not necessarily. While it's true in most cases, there are public domain ROMs, and in some countries it is legal to create a ROM from your own cartridge and retain the copy as long as you own the game.

N64 has a BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) or a variation of, and hence that would be the
copyright problem.
Unlike the PSX, an N64 BIOS is not required to play games on an emulator.

OP
G

GEROSENE

did a little research and....

Intellectual Property Rights

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights
A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

Trademarks

Trademarks are the distinctive names, words, logos, designs and symbols used to distinguish a product of a particular manufacturer or source. Some of Nintendo's most widely recognized trademarks include Nintendo®, Game Boy®, Super NES® and Super Mario Bros.®. The Nintendo® trademark has been filed in many countries throughout the world and registrations have been issued in Nintendo's name in many countries.

Patents

A patent is a grant of the exclusive right in an invention for a period of time. Nintendo owns many utility and design patents. There are many patents and design patents associated with Nintendo's hardware and software products.

Counterfeits
A counterfeit Nintendo product is an illegal copy of an authentic Nintendo product. These counterfeit products often originate from Taiwan, Hong Kong or China. The production, distribution, or sale of counterfeit Nintendo products is illegal. Nintendo has brought thousands of legal actions worldwide to stop counterfeiters. In addition, thousands of criminal actions have been brought against those found to be distributing, reproducing, or selling unauthorized, illegal copies of Nintendo video game products throughout the world, including criminal actions against on-line distributors.

For more information on piracy issues regarding the videogame industry, please visit the Entertainment Software Association's website at http://www.theESA.com/

Mod Chips

Mod chips circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install the mod chips into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components. Use of mod chips voids the consumer warranty. Mod chips have also been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Countries around the globe are also adopting similar laws aimed at illegal circumvention of security measures. People caught selling or installing them may be subject to criminal prosecution and may also be liable for civil damages resulting from such activities.

Independent Publishers/Licensees/Licensed Property Owners

Nintendo licenses a number of independent third party publishers to use its patented technology, copyrights and trademarks in developing, creating and marketing their own video games. Additionally, there are a number of intellectual property rights associated with these games that are owned by these publishers. In addition, many independent property owners from such sources as movies, television, sports leagues, etc. license their intellectual properties for use in video games.

What are Nintendo ROMS?

A Nintendo ROM ("Read Only Memory") is the type of chip used in Nintendo's video game cartridge which contains the game software. However, this term is commonly used on many gaming sites on the Internet and refers to game data that was copied from an authentic Nintendo video game cartridge.

What is a Nintendo Video Game Emulator?

A Nintendo emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for. A Nintendo emulator allows for Nintendo console based or arcade games to be played on unauthorized hardware. The video games are obtained by downloading illegally copied software, i.e. Nintendo ROMs, from Internet distributors. Nintendo ROMs then work with the Nintendo emulator to enable game play on unauthorized hardware such as a personal computer, a modified console, etc.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

How Does Nintendo Feel About the Emergence of Video Game Emulators?

The introduction of emulators created to play illegally copied Nintendo software represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers. As is the case with any business or industry, when its products become available for free, the revenue stream supporting that industry is threatened. Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.

What Does Nintendo Think of the Argument that Emulators are Actually Good for Nintendo Because it Promotes the Nintendo Brand to PC Users and Leads to More Sales?

Distribution of an emulator developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software hurts Nintendo's goodwill, the millions of dollars invested in research & development and marketing by Nintendo and its licensees. Substantial damages are caused to Nintendo and its licensees. It is irrelevant whether or not someone profits from the distribution of an emulator. The emulator promotes the play of illegal ROMs , NOT authentic games. Thus, not only does it not lead to more sales, it has the opposite effect and purpose.

How Come Nintendo Does Not Take Steps Towards Legitimizing Nintendo Emulators?

Emulators developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software promote piracy. That's like asking why doesn't Nintendo legitimize piracy. It doesn't make any business sense. It's that simple and not open to debate.

People Making Nintendo Emulators and Nintendo ROMs are Helping Publishers by Making Old Games Available that are No Longer Being Sold by the Copyright Owner. This Does Not Hurt Anyone and Allows Gamers to Play Old Favorites. What's the Problem?

The problem is that it's illegal. Copyrights and trademarks of games are corporate assets. If these vintage titles are available far and wide, it undermines the value of this intellectual property and adversely affects the right owner. In addition, the assumption that the games involved are vintage or nostalgia games is incorrect. Nintendo is famous for bringing back to life its popular characters for its newer systems, for example, Mario and Donkey Kong have enjoyed their adventures on all Nintendo platforms, going from coin-op machines to our latest hardware platforms. As a copyright owner, and creator of such famous characters, only Nintendo has the right to benefit from such valuable assets.

Isn't it Okay to Download Nintendo ROMs for Games that are No Longer Distributed in the Stores or Commercially Exploited? Aren't They Considered "Public Domain"?

No, the current availability of a game in stores is irrelevant as to its copyright status. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available. Therefore, the copyrights of games are valid even if the games are not found on store shelves, and using, copying and/or distributing those games is a copyright infringement.

Haven't the Copyrights for Old Games Expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Can Websites and/or Internet Content Providers be Held Liable for Violation of Intellectual Property Rights if they are Only Providing Links to Illegal Software and/or Other Illegal Devices?

Yes. Personal Websites and/or Internet Content Providers sites That link to Nintendo ROMs, Nintendo emulators and/or illegal copying devices can be held liable for copyright and trademark violations, regardless of whether the illegal software and/or devices are on their site or whether they are linking to the sites where the illegal items are found

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
so that's how it works.
wow so your on big N's side now.
i guess you will have to destroy all your roms now, and you will have no need for PJ64 1.7 or rice video anymore

OP
G

GEROSENE

are you outta your NES_player4LIFE mind? lol.. just making a point to Toasty.
your right about one thing.. i have no need for that STUPID rice video plugin.
I just rewrote some excutable microcode for jobos vid plugin to make a folder
named text_dump and text_load. renamed my hires_textures files from rice dropped
them into the text_load folder, works and runs masterfully..

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Fix.
Disable Global frame limiter, and Enable Audio Synching.

Rice Video is not compatible with the emulators limiter for some reason.

OP
G

GEROSENE

Fix.
Disable Global frame limiter, and Enable Audio Synching.

Rice Video is not compatible with the emulators limiter for some reason.
fix for the rice plugin?
if so thanks, but i already deleted that POS rice-a-ronie plugin. Jabo's 1.7.0.53 is what i'm sticking with.
Audio plugin is Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP 2.. audio is sync'd already, works peachy with any turok game.

Toasty

Sony battery
just making a point to Toasty.
As long as your point is that Nintendo discusses only a minuscule portion of copyright law on their legal page, to somewhat misleading ends. ;)

Many countries, the United States included, have a provision in their copyright laws which allow private copying of copyrighted material for archival purposes. (Note that in the United States specifically, the draconian DMCA can negate this provision in some instances.) In addition, Nintendo does not hold the rights to public domain ROMs.

On the subject of Nintendo's legal stand, they have also gone so far as to broadly call emulators illegal, despite the fact that they use them in their own systems and games. While much dryer and more long-winded, your government's copyright documentation will give you a more accurate picture of what's legal and what's not in your area than Nintendo's legal page.

Admittedly, most people's use of game emulators probably involves copyright infringement, but emulators still have a wide variety of legitimate uses.

OP
G

GEROSENE

"These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters,
product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications."
that right there makes emulators illegal. archival purposes refers to an individual own personal use, ie: not to distribute said archival file.
you show me where its states exactly that roms in a public domain are legal. or emulators for that matter. Nintendo has a right to make
there own emulator becouse they own all that copyrighted material.

Toasty

Sony battery
Computer code (software) can be copyrighted - but emulators imitate the function of hardware. Hardware interfaces cannot be copyrighted. If they could, companies like AMD and Via would probably go out of business, since every CPU they make is essentially an Intel x86 CPU emulator.

archival purposes refers to an individual own personal use, ie: not to distribute said archival file.
Did I imply otherwise? As I said, many countries allow for private copying of copyrighted material. If you distribute the material publicly, it is no longer private copying.

you show me where its states exactly that roms in a public domain are legal.
Public domain ROMs are, by definition, free for anyone to use. See public domain.

OP
G

GEROSENE

first line:
"The public domain is an intellectual property designation for the range of content that is not owned or controlled by anyone"
NINTENDO OWNS THE COPYRIGHTS TO THOSE ROMS, hardware chip microcode, & executable code that makes up the N64. what part of that do you EPICALLY FAIL to comprehend?

Status
Not open for further replies.