What's new

vid plugin problem with PJ64 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slonison

GEROSENE has a hard time distinguishing between your and you're as well as there and their. Until he proceeds to learn the difference, I will find it hard to take him seriously.

Toasty

Sony battery
first line:
"The public domain is an intellectual property designation for the range of content that is not owned or controlled by anyone"
NINTENDO OWNS THE COPYRIGHTS TO THOSE ROMS, hardware chip microcode, & executable code that makes up the N64. what part of that do you EPICALLY FAIL to comprehend?
You are ignoring the distinction between software and hardware, as well as software owned by Nintendo and software that is in the public domain. Nintendo does not own the rights to public domain ROMs - no one does. That's what makes them public domain.

The Nintendo 64 is not made of code. It is made of computer chips, circuit boards and plastic housing. This hardware provides an interface that allows N64 software (ROMs) to run. This interface is not and cannot be copyrighted. I suggest you look to your country's copyright law for more information.

slonison

He may not correctly understand the difference between copyrights and patents. He may also be confusing a commercial ROM for a public domain ROM.

OP
G

GEROSENE

You are ignoring the distinction between software and hardware, as well as software owned by Nintendo and software that is in the public domain. Nintendo does not own the rights to public domain ROMs - no one does. That's what makes them public domain.

The Nintendo 64 is not made of code. It is made of computer chips, circuit boards and plastic housing. This hardware provides an interface that allows N64 software (ROMs) to run. This interface is not and cannot be copyrighted. I suggest you look to your country's copyright law for more information.

WOW dude!
there cannot be "n64 public domain roms" becouse NINTENDO OWNS the rights to those ROMS. it is ILLEGAL to DOWNLOAD those roms from CARTS!
not made of code? well no kidding. but to make those chips, circut boards in a plastic housing work consists of CODE! which NINTENDO OWNS!
BY WHICH EMULATORS COPY!

CODE/BIOS:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace/2008-10/msg00062.html

without that then your right. its just chips, circut boards, and plastic housings.

as far as my country is concered, its NORTH of you. which consist of the SAME PATENT LAWS.
MABEY in ETHIOPIA it wouldn't matter. keep it coming becouse EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK YOUR SO SMART, YOU FAILED TO REALISE YOU JUST CALLED YOURSELF A RETARD! CHEERS.

Toasty

Sony battery
WOW dude!
there cannot be "n64 public domain roms" becouse NINTENDO OWNS the rights to those ROMS. it is ILLEGAL to DOWNLOAD those roms from CARTS!
No, they do not. You seem to be under the impression that any piece of software that can run on an N64 is magically owned by Nintendo. By that logic, Dell would own every piece of software that can run on a Dell computer. In addition, many public domain N64 ROMs are made solely for use on emulators, and never even exist on N64 cartridges.

not made of code? well no kidding. but to make those chips, circut boards in a plastic housing work consists of CODE! which NINTENDO OWNS!
BY WHICH EMULATORS COPY!
The code that runs on the console is the ROM. As already discussed, downloading a copyrighted ROM without the rights holder's permission is copyright infringement. If you know of any emulators that actually include copyrighted games with the emulator, then they are guilty of copyright infringement (unless of course the rights holder gave the emulator developers permission to package said ROMs with their emulator). I'm not aware of any emulators that do this and have managed to stay afloat though.

However, in many regions, making a personal copy of a game that you own is legal. So is using a public domain ROM.

CODE/BIOS:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace/2008-10/msg00062.html

without that then your right. its just chips, circut boards, and plastic housings.
Just like with ROMs, any emulator that includes a copyrighted BIOS without the rights holder's permission is in violation of copyright. And like before, I'm not aware of any emulators that do this and have managed to stay afloat.

as far as my country is concered, its NORTH of you. which consist of the SAME PATENT LAWS.
MABEY in ETHIOPIA it wouldn't matter. keep it coming becouse EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK YOUR SO SMART, YOU FAILED TO REALISE YOU JUST CALLED YOURSELF A RETARD! CHEERS.
Yes, yes, I'm clearly far too retarded. I don't even know how to substantiate my position with insults and caps locking like you do. All a retarded person like me knows is stupid stuff like facts and logic.

Continue believing whatever you want to believe. It really doesn't matter to me, and I'm tired of wasting my time trying to help you. This is my final post in this pointless discussion. Feel free to read whatever motives into my withdrawal that you like.

X-Fi6

I've made a post before without listing any citations or anything, but since I'm entirely confident that everything I said is correct, why don't you take a look:
Firstly, to answer your question about owning the game on the Wii Virtual Console and not on the original cartridge: since there are differences in the binaries, it means you do NOT own the original content.

1. It's not illegal to reverse engineer a microprocessor architecture. It doesn't matter the console/device/computer. Even if the emulator uses nonfree images and steals the trademark of the video game company it's emulating, it's not your problem. It's theirs.

2. As long as you own your original games (Virtual Console ports do NOT COUNT as owning the original games), receiving ROM dumps of them from other people is legal. Redistributing the games to anybody, however, even if the other owns the game, is illegal because it is in violation of the agreement you accepted when you took ownership of your copy of the game. It is illegal to redistribute copies of the program. No exceptions.

Now, if you receive your ROM dump through a peer-to-peer network like through a torrent or through Gnutella, most likely you were uploading to other peers as you were downloading. As long as someone has a log of you uploading to anybody else during this, they can use this against you and hold you accountable for redistributing the copyrighted material to others.

If you received your ROM dump by going to a website in your actual web browser and downloading it from an HTTP server, then since you did not redistribute it and you own your own copy of the material in question, it is legal for you and illegal for whoever hosted the copyrighted material.

If you ever have a ROM dump in your possession without owning the original content in hand, it is illegal. This means lending your game to a friend while you have a ROM dump on your computer is illegal.

How do I know that owning the game makes owning a ROM dump legal? Because you might as well have received your ROM dump by extracting it yourself, and there is no law that you broke by receiving the copy from a friend versus by yourself. Even if you made the ROM dump yourself and gave your original copy to a friend, that would be illegal because again, you now own the ROM dump without having the original content in hand as I stated above.

So to put it simply:
Downloading and using an emulator is legal.

Downloading ROM dumps on the internet is legal if you own the original content and you did not upload it to anyone else in the process (i.e. you downloaded it from a website on an HTTP server through your web browser).

Uploading ROM dumps on the internet is illegal. If you received your ROM through a peer-to-peer network like through a torrent or through Gnutella, you most likely uploaded the content to somebody and broke the law.

Giving a ROM dump to a friend, even if he owns the original game, is illegal because you redistributed it, which is illegal.
Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4145730AAkyO5V&show=7#profile-info-XpEWavEvaa

(Yeah ModChipV12 is me)

Nintendo's legal page is just plain wrong. Since there is no law about lying over the internet, they can easily bend the truth into making you believe shit that isn't true.

Redistributing copyrighted material is what is illegal. What if a friend gave you something copyrighted and knew it was copyrighted, and you didn't know that it was copyrighted? You just committed a crime? If you have proof that it was your friend that gave it to you, you can simply hold it against him and have him arrested.

By the way, I'm using the term "copyrighted" loosely, here. You can easily copyright software and grant rights such as redistribution and reverse engineering, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.