What's new

Very Very Very curious

Clements

Vboy ought to consider taking a Computer Science or Programming-related course when he is older and can choose his subjects, and start learning basic languages like Pascal and work up. In the meantime, he should concentrate on improving his Maths and logic skills.

Garstyciuks

He can learn programming right now :p I started programming since I was a bit younger than 11 years old. But I had a PC since I was 3 years old, so by the time I was 11 I had learnt quite a lot about computers.

Slougi

I also first started programming when I was around 12 years old I think... in qbasic ;) The trick is just to start reading about it.

Garstyciuks

I started with Visual Basic, in a very strange way. I had a russian book about it, and I don't understand any of that language. So I learned from the source code provided.

OP
Vboy

Vboy

EmuCrazy
I started some applications using RealBasic 3 for Mac (old I mac). It was a 30 day trial so I couldn't make anymore stuff. This is hard to figure out. I might ask my cousin in a month because he sits on his computer 24-7. If it's 120 degrees out and everyones going to the poop to cool off, he will just stay home and play VG's.

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah I started learning about basic scripting when I was 14, and then really took off with programming at 15, all just with a lot of Googling. You just have to be able to get your mind turned around the right way and have a decent grasp of logic and math like Clements said and eventually, with enough time, studying and practice, it will all make sense.

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
I say you're never too young to learn programming. Some say I'm a liar for saying this, but I started when I was 4 with BASIC on the C64.

Cyberman

Hmmm

In any case Vboy wanting to do an emulator without having all the basic knowledge you need is like trying to build a house without knowing how to use any of the tools (or the building code). You will still have to learn how to program, however you should look at the STICKY thread that says FREE in the subject line, it will give you links to numerous programming resources which are free.

If you want to learn C/C++ DevC++ that will get you started at least Eclipse is a more complete IDE however you will need to install a lot of things to get it working so DEV C++ is a better route.

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
Vboy

Vboy

EmuCrazy
What about High school computer classes? Could they teach me a thing or 2?

mudlord

Banned
What about High school computer classes? Could they teach me a thing or 2?

Absolutely, I remember doing Visual Basic back then...Was the top in the class at that, having also learning it in my spare time too back then :sombrero: ..

Nowadays, everything I do is in C/C++ or Python.

Garstyciuks

I think it's better not to wait for the high school programming classes :p. And anyway, those courses at my country really suck...

smcd

I concur. My C++ course was rather silly using an outdated (Borland C++ 4.52) compiler/IDE setup

Garstyciuks

so maybe school eill help
I wouldn't count on it too much... :whistling

All you have to do is to start doing some programming in the language you like. You can't make an emulator as your first project, but if you start from smaller projects, someday you will be able to program an emulator.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
so maybe school eill help

To a programmer, the best way is to learn how to find resources, experiment and come up with creative results. In other words, go find tutorials on the web, experiment with some sample applications and get on learning.
If there's something you don't understand, don't hestitate to ask someone. That's how it works. The programming business is hard and emulators even more so. Being creative and being able to find and use resources is what will make you a good programmer.
Now, if you want to get anywhere, I suggest you try to suck up information stated in this thread. Get an IDE, read some tutorials and off you go. In due time, you may be able to create an emulator, but basic understanding of programming is necessary.

Also, there are actually two steps to creating a program: compiler and linker. The compiler translates (and optimizes) your written code into a language the linker can understand. The linker then takes that information and creates machine code - an executable (or DLL) from it.