What's new

Support for special framebuffer stuff in plug-ins?

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Dunno. Seems like there's no good OGL plugin for PJ64, at the moment. You might wanna try out Rice's in OGL mode.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
jabo stopped development on the ogl plugin,..

while making an opengl plugin is more difficult.. it would still be better then microsofts crappy DX8 code

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You speak of matters you don't know. OpenGL is *not* better than DirectX and DirectX is *not* better than OpenGL. The quality comes from the code and drivers. DX10 isn't ready yet so there is no need for speculation. When it's finished, we'll see the results.
And those extensions makes it messy, yes? A lot of them are supposed on nVidia cards and not on ATI cards, and some cards only support some of them. That makes it messy.

Tesla

Banned
Ogl works fine with nVidia, but crappy with ATI Rage. But, with right drivers it works better then DX on ATI, I tried it.

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Doomulation said:
You speak of matters you don't know. OpenGL is *not* better than DirectX and DirectX is *not* better than OpenGL. The quality comes from the code and drivers. DX10 isn't ready yet so there is no need for speculation. When it's finished, we'll see the results.
And those extensions makes it messy, yes? A lot of them are supposed on nVidia cards and not on ATI cards, and some cards only support some of them. That makes it messy.

I think, the point everyone tries to make, is that the current Project64 plugins are pretty slow compared to the graphics they produce. And compared to graphic plugins on similar emulation fields.

One solution for this *might be* implementing a more modern API than the currently used DX8. DX10 is off limits, I guess, because it would lock out everyone not willing to switch to Vista. DX9 might be a solution because of its good pixel shader implementation and is pretty worth thinking about. OpenGL (especially the 2.0 and upwards version) should be good, too. Especially, because it offers fine Pixel Shaders and great portability, in case someone wants to write an emulator for Linux or Mac.

We should note that nowadays graphics cards are lots more powerful than three years ago. I think that transferring load from CPU to GPU should be pretty efficient, by now and therefore a good solution to many problems pointed out here.

Tesla

Banned
Doomulation said:
As you know, nVidia has high quality OpenGL drivers. And ATI Rage is hardly a good card.
ATI Rage Mobility... Its name says it is intended for use on laptops. And laptops are intended to be used by buisinessmen. And buisinessmen don' play games a lot. At least not when cheaf is there...
My laptop has only use when I'm on the road, so I can play Insaniquarium DeLuxe or something.

Doomulation

F-3582 said:
I think, the point everyone tries to make, is that the current Project64 plugins are pretty slow compared to the graphics they produce. And compared to graphic plugins on similar emulation fields.
Different systems should not be compared with each other.

One solution for this *might be* implementing a more modern API than the currently used DX8. DX10 is off limits, I guess, because it would lock out everyone not willing to switch to Vista. DX9 might be a solution because of its good pixel shader implementation and is pretty worth thinking about. OpenGL (especially the 2.0 and upwards version) should be good, too. Especially, because it offers fine Pixel Shaders and great portability, in case someone wants to write an emulator for Linux or Mac.
A new API hardly helps. OpenGL and DX are both fast, and DX9 offers little if no performance over DX8. It is other non-video related tasks that takes up time. Remember that video plugins is not handed the data to render, but the dlist to render.

We should note that nowadays graphics cards are lots more powerful than three years ago. I think that transferring load from CPU to GPU should be pretty efficient, by now and therefore a good solution to many problems pointed out here.
Agreed on that point.

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Well, and I thought that newer APIs might help doing that. I'm not talking about the marginal performance increases regarding T&L and stuff. It's the programmable shaders I was referring to.

Doomulation

Aye, the shaders... but the shaders are executed by the GPU and no the API. So whatever increase that would come from them would come from a faster GPU, and of course, more optimized shader code.

squall_leonhart

Doomulation said:

actually, bro, opengl can be alot higher quality then directx, much much higher quality, and faster at the same time.

while Dx10 will try to be as good, opengl 2.1 will out do it again in performanec and quality, as the opengl standard (and yes opengl itself is a standard, to be certified as a opengl capable card, it has to meet a minimum number of required extensions, ie opengl 1.5 requires a minimum of 105 extensions, and 2.0 requires a minimum of 118, there is nothing messy about it, ati has to use nv_arb extensions and nv has to use ati_arb extensions... truly, only 51,.. yes only 51 extensions are required to be compatible with opengl 2.0, the other 71 are extras that are included for designers to make coding opengl more efficient and better quality)

...anyways.

incorrect Doomulation, the programmable shaders are also in the api ;), DirectX 9 requires Programmable pixel shaders, which can be emulated in software (via the api's reference rasteriser)

3dmark03/05 makes use of the reference rasteriser on the cpu tests and programmable shaders are used in those tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomulation

squall_leonhart said:
actually, bro, opengl can be alot higher quality then directx, much much higher quality, and faster at the same time.

while Dx10 will try to be as good, opengl 2.1 will out do it again in performanec and quality, as the opengl standard (and yes opengl itself is a standard, to be certified as a opengl capable card, it has to meet a minimum number of required extensions, ie opengl 1.5 requires a minimum of 105 extensions, and 2.0 requires a minimum of 118, there is nothing messy about it, ati has to use nv_arb extensions and nv has to use ati_arb extensions... truly, only 51,.. yes only 51 extensions are required to be compatible with opengl 2.0, the other 71 are extras that are included for designers to make coding opengl more efficient and better quality)

...anyways.
I'm only reciting what I've heard before anyway, so well yeah, let's leave it at that... I haven't tested it myself.

incorrect Doomulation, the programmable shaders are also in the api ;), DirectX 9 requires Programmable pixel shaders, which can be emulated in software (via the api's reference rasteriser)

3dmark03/05 makes use of the reference rasteriser on the cpu tests and programmable shaders are used in those tests.
Who uses REF in games? It's only useful to see what it should look like.
Shader instructions are sent to the GPU, but I don't know much more than that, and I'll disgress on that matter.

squall_leonhart

no one uses it in games ;) but the Reference rasterise is how nvidia designs the cards in the first place. :p i've seen the massive super server they use to emulate a nvidia card via the rasteriser :O

Tesla

Banned
squall_leonhart said:
no one uses it in games ;) but the Reference rasterise is how nvidia designs the cards in the first place. :p i've seen the massive super server they use to emulate a nvidia card via the rasteriser :O
Really? WHERE?

Tesla

Banned
squall_leonhart said:
in nvidia's HQ in california, i've seen photos of it when someone visited.
Aaaaaaaaaaa! I hate you people livin' in California or Texas! I wanna be there! Instead I'm in Serbia and I can't buy a hamburger without a week of saving!!!