What's new

Starfox 2 (SNES) Final Leaked to public

DarkKnight38

The original
I was just wondering.. Is this game copywrited in any way? Because i'm downloading it right now, and i was just thinking maybe i could upload it some place and post the link here, if it's legal and everything of course.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
desktop shot, this game runs sweet in zsnes and the sound is great, as far as i can see, this version has completely faster sfx support, as the original starfox is lots faster. :)

DarkKnight38

The original
perfectly? It flickers like mad for me. Maybe i didn't get the final version, it said final beta in the file name though.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Hmmm... looks liek the SFX2 has limited texture mapping support, some of the 3d objects actually have textures, not ships though. :(

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
ok just for ppl that want to get their hands on starfox 2 (final) and/or the zsnes hack that allows u to play starfox 2 perfectly

The Rom:

~snip~

The Hacked Zsnes that plays Starfox 2 perfect:

http://stezo2001.homestead.com/files/zsnes_for_sf2.zip

Enjoy!

Btw sorry mods if u dont allow roms, but this rom is abandonware, so its legal, however, if u feel its not edit my post

Thank u for your time

Stez

blizz:

I'm not too sure it's abandonware mainly because it is would have to have been stolen from Nintendo, I'll leave ZSNES in for now, I have no problem with it since the emu is open source

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkKnight38

The original
Just because a game is old, doesn't make it legal to copy. As far as i know, a copywrite liscense runs out after 50 years. So unless this game is 50 years old, it wont be legal to copy.;) anyways, thanks for the link to the right emu :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DarkKnight38

The original
i think beta's are copy protected. Otherwise someone could just rip off and start making copies of say earth and beyond and get away with it. But EA would kick their ass in court because betas are indeed copy protected. It's a work that's in a fixed tangible form. Therefore it's copy protected. I think...

ShadowFX

Guardian
Stezo2k said:
heh looks like the final version of starfox 2 has been leaked to the public. At the moment it doesnt work on ZSNES, but on the ZSNES message board, it seems that the ZSNES team are at work with it and it will be supported in the new ZSNES. Woo hoo! :cool:
And even better, the game hasnt been released and will never be (unless ported) so it should be legal to download etc if u dont own it cuz its abandonware.

Pictures of the game working in the private beta of zsnes are located here:

http://www.sportkompaktwoche.de/

Stez

To be honest, that ROM actually works in 1.36. The only heavy bug in the current release is the flickering in-game. Version 1.37 Beta or 1.38 should support it.

LD.

*poke*
So a leaked beta of GTA4 would be legal to copy and download now (if it existed) because it hasn't been released yet?

I don't think so.

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
LD. said:
So a leaked beta of GTA4 would be legal to copy and download now (if it existed) because it hasn't been released yet?

I don't think so.

thats different, GTA4 is brand new, where as Starfox 2 is around 7 years old:p even though years dont make much of a difference, but i highly doubt u'd be prosicuted for owning abandonware thats 7 years old.

Stez

Jaz

Ex-Mod
It's still copyrighted shit.

Nintendo could always turn around and say `yeah, but we were gonna finish it someday`. Desipite the fact they won't.

Unless Nintendo gives it up for free public download, it's illegal to `own` a copy of the ROM. :p

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah i know, i was just saying your more likely to be prosicuted for owning GTA4 before it came out, rather than a snes rom thats 7 years old and never got released.

Stez

tbag

Judging by the pics it runs off the Mode 7 engine of the Snes and possible inputs some of the Doom Snes version in it?

Anyhow looks quite nice one question will the Snes really ever die? I mean look people still develop for the Atari 2600!

I rest my case

Royal Fool

Your resident know-it-all
Copyrights stretch pretty far now at days, all the way to 1927 if not longer. (In America, that is)

This version of StarFox 2 is not abandonware. You'd be just as likely to be taken to court, because Nintendo owns the rights to it. They could release it anytime. No, it's certainly not likely they'd release a 7 year old game for a console that can't be found at retailers anymore, but that doesn't mean it's a possibiltiy. :D

tbag

Nintendo is a nice company unlike Mircosoft they dont sue Emu authors they just hate them and the fact its abandonware it should be 100% legal to copy i mean come on if anything some guy could have coded it as a Hoax it is possible. And another thing is Nintendo's Snes has two consoles above it with thousands of games not like there gonna care that much if anything they should be happy it gets to see the light of day ;)