What's new

SSF Ver0.07 beta R2

OP
B

Borisz

ngemu is down so I'll post translations here.

VDP1 framebuffer processing was changed from Little Endian to Big Endian.
The load screen of Dragon Force was fixed.
Write-in processing of the Color Ram was updated.
68000 instructions were updated.
SCSP was updated.
Sound Effects in Advanced World War and Silhuette Mirage are now reproduced exactly.
Music in Falcom Classics and Black Matrix are now fixed as well (the voices in Black Matrix are still strange)
something about sound effects which i don't understand
Lock Processing of DirectSoundBuffer updated.
Backup Library updated.

the Display on/off option of each screen was moved from 1-7 on the numeric keyboard.
Snapshot was changed to backspace
An option for Screen rotation was added. It is only effective when Direct3d is being used (trans. note - aka works if Directdraw is disabled).
Changes in the order of 270° right rotation, 90° right rotation by pressing the 0 key on the side of the keyboard. (trans. note: this is for shmups and other games that included an option to display the game in the original arcade resolution as they used a vertical monitor setup to make use of the bigger resolution, and you needed to turn your tv sideways for it when playing on the console. Some games in the Capcom Generations series come to mind, like 194x series and Commando 1-2 (aka Mercs), and I think Shienryu had the same option too. Remember the how vertical games get rotated in Kawaks or Mame? well, this simulates the very same thing. Yay!)

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
killer, this guy has to be the hardest working emu author ever. the best keeps getting better.

Hawq

Excellent translation there, which I 'borrowed' with apporpiate mentions, beats the hell out of what worldlingo gives me

Gelon.com

Que pasa neng!
When will they release a non-sse version ... i dont have this CPU, and a SAT emulator should not need it, dont know why ssf need

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Gelon.com said:
When will they release a non-sse version ... i dont have this CPU, and a SAT emulator should not need it, dont know why ssf need
SSE instructions give a much needed speed-boost.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Gelon.com said:

a processor that supports SSE/2 at the lowest end doesnt cost a great deal these days, maybe you should consider an upgrade ;)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator

It's not really nice that the program crashes when you try to jot the BIOS file down in Options. I suppose this has something to do with the recent Windows XP updates, since SSF has worked flawlessly before.

spotanjo3

Agozer said:

It's not really nice that the program crashes when you try to jot the BIOS file down in Options. I suppose this has something to do with the recent Windows XP updates, since SSF has worked flawlessly before.

Same here.

SSF said: Pentium4 3.0GHz
Athlon64 3200+

Mine is 2.40ghz Penitum4...WINDOWS XP with SP2..hmm. The version 13 run fine but it bothered me for a while because Beta 1 and Beta 2 freezed when I set up the bios and click okay to restart....thats strange.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Delete the file named "SSF.ini", start the emulator and from the emulator options change the sound buffer size to 2048. Then select the BIOS and press OK.
It should work for most people after that. If not... Bad luck. :p

spotanjo3

I already know about that. No, and yeah I am sure something is wrong with my computer or SP2 or something.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Rockmangames said:
I already know about that.
Yes, but others might not know it. There are other people out there having the exact same problem.

This whole crash issue started since the R13' release. It has to do with some sound releated changes to the emulator (as far as I know) and seems to affect people with specific sound cards (or integrated sound chipsets). Changing the sound buffer size seems to work in some cases (but obviously, not all).
Using newer (or older) sound drivers might eventually fix the problem (completely or by forcing you to change the sound buffer).

Even I was not able to run the emulator until the beta R1 release.

Does the R13 release work for you? If it does then don't worry, it's not a fault of your computer. ;)

OP
B

Borisz

I could get SSF working on both onboard ac97 audio and a soundblaster live 5.1 card. So it could be driver issue.

compatibility note: the videos in Keio Flying Squadron 2 don't crash anymore! as long as the Dot clock is set to 3 or higher. In R1 they were crashing no matter what.

dragomasterx2

What does this dot clock option? I didnt know that it affects compability.

Another question are there other options which affects the compability e.g. the speed of Slave SH2?

OP
B

Borisz

Dot Clock specify the SH2 speed, at 4 the SH2s run at the same speed as the console, at 2 they run at half speed. something like that.

Slave SH2 speed is just what it says, the speed in percents that the secondary SH2 runs at.

Both are hacks according to the readme files as many things are not emulated properly. And of course both will cause the emulator to be marginally slower.

SH2 instruction numbers also affects compatibility (higher number - more speed/less compatibility) but I'm sure that the default option is the one offering the best compatibility at the moment.

Infact, if you remember the jingle of the Saturn Bios, then you know that in SSF, its not in synch with the audio, not even with auto frameskip. Because the emulated cpus are not fast enough to render the screen fast enough. But set the Dot Clock to 3 and it will be in synch - the animation speed will slightly go up.
If you have a mammoth system with no slowdown, I think it's safe to say that dotclock 4 and slave sh2 100% is recommended to get the best emulation.

OP
B

Borisz

dragomasterx2 said:
Which settings are used in this list?

http://www.segasaturn.org/index.htm
I've no idea. I just got a system that can run SSF like 2 weeks ago so I haven't tested that many games to tell. My bet is that they are on the default settings.

another question is there are a possibillity to see how many frames are drawn, i tried fraps but this was of no use?
not yet, but the author did mention that some kind of fps counter may be implemented (maybe in the 0.08 version later on).

dragomasterx2

Perhaps they should test with dotclock @ 4 and sh2-slave@100 to get better compability.

I tested and found out that dotclock@2 is indeed a bit low, but 3 seems to be mostly sufficent.

OP
B

Borisz

Given that dotclock 2 and slave 75% is the default option and hardly anyone knows what all those options mean due to the japanese readme, IMO its better to run in the default mode and only switch to higher if a game experiences problems on the default settings.

About that site, making bin/cue images and running those instead of running the original discs would be more likely to improve the compatibility then setting the dotclock and slave speed.