What's new

Speeding it up/ Whats fastest?

RiderX

First and foremost, I've been trying to play SSBM for about 3 days now, thank god I finally read the readme, and thank god I found you guys, thank god for the search button and thank god for Vile324 and his link to a Control Pad plug-in that works perfectly!

Now, I am only getting about 2.5 FPS most of the time, as you can guess this makes it almost impossible to play, in fact Ive grown weary and on my latest venture into the game I only got to the main menu before it froze, I waited for a few seocnds then got frustrated and just closed it.

Before asking how to speed it up I'll give out some basic information about the emulator/my computer

I have
2.0 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM memory
NVIDIA GeForce4 Video Card
64MB MX420 graphics card
and Windows XP Home

Dolphin Info
Graphics: Dolphin Video Plugin (DX9)
DSP-Audio: Dolphin DSP-HLE Plugin (DSound)
DVD: Dolphin GCM Plugin
PAD Input: Dolphin PAD Plugin

also i use HAL and PS 2.0 Shader version and HLE audio, DTK music, and 44100 hz sample rate

and also, if it matters at all, my computer has been acting a bit slow lately, so if i clear that slowness up will it affect my game?

ANYWAYS

onto my obvious questions

How can I change my settings and/or speed up the game to optimum speed? I know the GC was made different from computers and uses more powerful technology, already.

Is there a better emulator, and by better I mean im willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING, to play faster, meaning, no sound, and i play with little stick figures that shoot black and white balls as weapons in order to play at a faster FPS.

Thanks much,
RiderX

WhiteX

you won´t get a decent fps now because the emulator is not optimized for speed, if you really want to play this game, get a GC or wait for revo.
No machine is capable of gaming speed on dolphin with 3d games not yours or mine, so a hardware upgrade is out of the question either.

Clements

Any kind of graphics tweaks won't increase the speed, because the bottleneck is not in the graphics. The emulation of the GC's CPU causes most of that slowdown, and this cannot be skipped otherwise the game wouldn't work at all. You will have not much luck increasing the speed with any current emulators or by buying new hardware.

DOGG

Your video card doesn't support pixel shaders. Thus, a vast majority of games will show graphical issues

BlueFalcon7

you can crank up the resolution and put the AA on 8x multisampling and you wont see any speed loss unless of course you have a real bad GPU still with PS 2.0 and a very fast single core CPU with at least 6~10 GHz

First, change your crappy video card, it doesn't support shaders. Second, wait for Fires to use the recompiler thing and make a faster version of Dolphin. Third, don't waste any money. It's useless

cjradek

I've tried playing htis game as well, but have a different problem. My framerate is actually pretty good. For the menu's I can get up to 70 fps, and for character selection i get from 20 - 32 fps. I have dynarec enabled, and I'm using HAL, PS 2.0, and have res set to 320 x 240. (System Specs below)
After I choose a character, it freezes, but I expected that. Anyone else get similiar fps results?

System Specs:
AMD 64 3200+ 2.21 GHZ (754, not 939)
256 MB Radeon 9800 PRO
1 GB Crucial RAM (ddr 400)
onboard audio card
Harddrive (Primary) - ATA 100, 300 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB cache

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Some 2D games run good, but no commerical 3d games runs with such speed. Or at the very least, not very many.

cjradek

Yeah, I finally was able to play a round of 1P super smash bros melee using the language trick, and the fps dropped down to between 8-12 fps. It was better than I thought it would be for a 3D game though. Keep up the good work Dolphin team!

galford_bust

emu enthusiast
Alex The Great said:
Second, wait for Fires to use the recompiler thing and make a faster version of Dolphin.

I thought dolphin already had dynamic recompilation. What is that "recompiler thing" you're talking about, a new one?

galford_bust

emu enthusiast
ChaosCode said:
yeah but its not up to par atm, so says f1res. Im sure he is looking into it when he has time.

I'm really not interested in speed, but a new recompiler sounds interesting because it means that they were able to reverse more things, and eventually it will means more hardware information :robot:
That's pretty cool :matrix:

BlueFalcon7

recompiling is like converting the executable (the .dol for the gamecube) to something closer to computer language and then boot it, but interpreting is trying to boot the "foreign" executable as is, recompiling is faster because eventhough it will take longer to boot, the game will run faster

galford_bust

emu enthusiast
Man, I know what a recompiler is. I was actually concerned by the fact the devs are coding a new one; and then showing my gratitude towards that because, as far as I know, recompilation is a messy thing to do when you are guessing than it is when you know more about the hardware.
BTW, what you have mentioned is closer to static binary translation than dynamic recompilation but I see your point.

BlueFalcon7

well, i read somewhere that the dolphin uses more of an interpreter, and f|res told me that the dolphin used HLE in its earlier releases, for quicker release, and for more speed, but ever scince, the dolphin has been adding more of the interpreter, rather than recompiling and HLE. The reason the dolphin gets slower, is because more of the DOL code gets figured out, but the dolphin gets more compatible with every release. HLE is not known for how compatible it makes the emulator.