What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

SM64 textures limited to 256x256?

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
Is there a limit for the demensions of a high-res texture for Super Mario 64 (or any game)? Or can you go as high as 768 or so on one or both sides?

Also, are textures with 24 bit color data supposed to load in the game? The dumped textures all have 32 bit data, and I noticed that 24 bit pngs won't load, regardless of what demensions I make them. :unsure:

Mollymutt

You can only go 4x to what ever the original texture was. I would suggest changing the resolution 4x, and the dimensions will change accordingly.

mudlord

Banned
You can only go 4x to what ever the original texture was. I would suggest changing the resolution 4x, and the dimensions will change accordingly.

Yep, Rice added this limit a while back due to memory consumption/VRAM usage reasons, as well as being thought of being unpractical back in those days....

However, I think those times have past, since now we have 128/256MB cards are becoming the new norm...and plus, theres 512MB cards becoming more and more in use. Add on top of that most recent cards have texture size limits of around 4096x4096....:)

mudlord

Banned
Yeah, that would be awseome if rice adapted this. Imagine the details we could put.

I know my GeForce 6 has those insane limits ^^....not sure on earlier models, but the texture size limits are pretty generous. One problem is scaling in some games, but we can see how things go with some games, and texturers could still stick to the proven 4x limit, if they want to. :)

OP
CrashDance22

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
Yeah, I thought there had to be some sort of limit to the dimensions. Also, (off-topic) does VRAM mean virtual ram that is being emulated? Like the N64's physical ram? If so, then yes, really hi-res textures would slow the game down significantly... :doh:

And about the 24-bit/32-bit depths, what's the word on those? It would be nice if I could bump a 24-bit image up to 32-bit to make them compatible with the plugin... is there a program I can use for that? I checked all through Gimp 2, but didn't find anything related to bit depth. :huh:

mudlord

Banned
Yeah, I thought there had to be some sort of limit to the dimensions. Also, (off-topic) does VRAM mean virtual ram that is being emulated? Like the N64's physical ram? If so, then yes, really hi-res textures would slow the game down significantly...

No, I was referring to Video Memory.