What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Shaders and Geometry?

chrisdoucette

Greetings, my name is Chris. It has been awhile since I last visited these forums.

Since I have not been around here for awhile I wanted to ask about a few things.

Has the community made any progress further than just replacing textures in the games?

I remember once there was a discussion about a new plugin that would allow "cell shading". And to my knowledge it never happened.

However, has anyone had any success with altering light rendering via plugins?

Has there been any implementation of shaders? Bump offset, specularity, reflection?

And what about geometry? Anyway yet to replace geometry, like player models.. with updated ones?

death--droid

Has the community made any progress further than just replacing textures in the games?
Nope pretty much nothing has happened outside of replacing textures.
Has there been any implementation of shaders? Bump offset, specularity, reflection?
As far as I know nothing has happened about this either

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
As far as I know nothing has happened about this either
What do you mean? Mudlord's Rice's 6.1.3 DX9 can load shaders.

If 1964 CVP switched from dx8 to dx9, it would be fairly straightforward to hack shaders onto n64 games. Obviously I make it sound easier than it'd be: the rendering engine part, not the shaders part.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, you can load shaders with Mudlord's Rice's 6.1.3 DX9 but that version of the plugin is a little messy and doesn't load all textures correctly.

If CVP moved to DX9 and allowed for shaders, it would then be a matter of to what extent an n64 video plugin could supply shaders with information. HDR and Bloom would be fairly straightforward, they are already possible with Mudlord's iteration. If 1964 CVP can supply a shader with the game's depth info, things like ambient occlusion would also be possible.

The second part of the OP's question is not so affirmative: replacing geometry just isn't possible with n64 emu.

Last edited:

death--droid

:p I meant the special things he was talking about like specular mapping and bump mapping, I know 1964 CVP uses shaders as I'm the one who switched it from DX8 to DX9.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
mudlords rice is unsupported, extremely broken in many situations and does not support AA.

As mudlord discovered, the only direction rice can go is OpenGL, or D3D10.

D3D9 is too constricted.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
mudlords rice is unsupported, extremely broken in many situations and does not support AA.

As mudlord discovered, the only direction rice can go is OpenGL, or D3D10.

D3D9 is too constricted.
Well, yeah. I'm just saying it's proof of concept. Not sure why d3d9 is limited vs 10.

:p I meant the special things he was talking about like specular mapping and bump mapping, I know 1964 CVP uses shaders as I'm the one who switched it from DX8 to DX9.
Wait. It does? What version of CVP runs dx9?

ihearpixels

Well, yeah. I'm just saying it's proof of concept. Not sure why d3d9 is limited vs 10.

Plenty of things in DX10 that can't be done in D3D9. Simple.

If 1964 CVP can supply a shader with the game's depth info, things like ambient occlusion would also be possible.

To do that, would need extra depth render surfaces/textures, and the framebuffer code in Rice Video is bad enough as it is. Well, no offense, but some of the methods of the framebuffer detection are just now out of date and plain old. And fixing Glide64's wrapper to do this would be even more hackish, as the wrapper uses a complex RGB565 to depth component shader instead of a seperate depth render buffer texture. Which would make the process so much simpler.

I have recently (well Gonetz knows for some time) have been thinking of doing my own plugin for these reasons, and to have something I can just play my games on, with no regard for accuracy... Just something to mess around with graphics with, and it will look good for some game developer resume. Most likely OGL 2.1 based as a minimum.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Plenty of things in DX10 that can't be done in D3D9. Simple.
Sounds like overkill is all. I can't think of anything in d3d10 that would be particularly useful to n64 emu vrs d3d9. I am aware there are advantages, but whenever I think of the benefits it is usually pertaining to newer games.

But none of that matters, it's just a hole in my knowledge. Would be interesting to see another video plugin, anyway. :3

gameguy245

Greetings, my name is Chris. It has been awhile since I last visited these forums.

Since I have not been around here for awhile I wanted to ask about a few things.

I remember once there was a discussion about a new plugin that would allow "cell shading". And to my knowledge it never happened.

However, has anyone had any success with altering light rendering via plugins?

And what about geometry? Anyway yet to replace geometry, like player models.. with updated ones?

In terms of shaders, this shader is probably the best one I've seen so far. The links are broken on that thread though.

These shaders are pretty good as well. The links on those still work as far as know.

MisterAnonym

Nice thread. I was wondering why there is no development in that direction. I mean HD textures are nice but the really fancy stuff can be done with shaders (ok, so what is really fancy?). I think some of the stuff would be straightforward to implement (like the already existing bloom-shaders), but others like bump- or normal-mapping aren't that easy. I got the idea of implementing screen space ambient occlusion since it only requires a depth buffer a while ago, but was actually to lazy to go through the necessary source files. I would like to see a implementation of that though. I'm not sure about Dx, but it I'm pretty sure, it should be possible with OpenGL. I can imagine it to be a pretty neat addition for games like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Pretty much any post-processing shader should be able to be implemented (depth of field shouldn't be that hard as well).

MaXiMuMMaXiMuS

It would be awesome to see some more projects aside from texture packs. These shaders work, but there is no Hi res texture support. The other pack looks sweet, but there aren't any working download links I can seem to find for that.

looks pretty significant, unfortunately it's really buggy. I only got it to "work" with majora's mask (glitchy flashy lighting, most effects don't seem to work), Ocarina of Time wouldn't even load. Nonetheless, you guys might want to check it out.

ihearpixels

Nice thread. I was wondering why there is no development in that direction. I mean HD textures are nice but the really fancy stuff can be done with shaders (ok, so what is really fancy?). I think some of the stuff would be straightforward to implement (like the already existing bloom-shaders), but others like bump- or normal-mapping aren't that easy. I got the idea of implementing screen space ambient occlusion since it only requires a depth buffer a while ago, but was actually to lazy to go through the necessary source files. I would like to see a implementation of that though. I'm not sure about Dx, but it I'm pretty sure, it should be possible with OpenGL. I can imagine it to be a pretty neat addition for games like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Pretty much any post-processing shader should be able to be implemented (depth of field shouldn't be that hard as well).

Because the current video plugins are meh.

Sorry.

Glide64 is great but requires a wrapper, so that rules that out. Rice's code is quite bleh, that rules it out. Gln64 is not compatible enough, that rules it out.

And how do you propose to add the post processors? Via making a deferred renderer in which the screen is presented?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Wrapper is an emulator/translator of sorts, while being not quite it. In Glide64's case, a glide wrapper is needed for the plugin to function on modern cards, because Glide64 uses Glide to render graphics, and not Direct3D or OpenGL like modern cards. The wrapper translates or "wraps" the Glide-specific functions and calls put out by the Glide64 plugin into OpenGL so that your graphics card can understand what it's dealing with, and then display whatever the plugin wants get displayed.

You don't need a wrapper at all if your computer sports an old 3DFX Voodoo graphics card, which natively uses Glide.

Last edited:

MaXiMuMMaXiMuS

I've actually had some success with using enbseries with PJ64. I just use the config included in the project (download link is listed below video) using Mudlord's Rice Video build 6.1.4 and it works great so far. Framebuffer effects are really sloppy in rice though so that's still there but I've been playing OOT so far with no game breaking issues. If it doesn't start for you, I'd suggest changing the FB settings for the game in the RiceVideo6.1.0.ini file. Certain settings won't allow the game to start when you start it again.

It's only Bloom though, but it's a start. The motion blur, SSAO, and etc. settings seem to have no effect.