What's new

Serious Chankast discussion (Chankast Authors welcome to join!)

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
Hey guy's if you want to read the english version from talfi himself check out the thread here

All i can say is, the wait will be worth it :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
The Dude said:
Since this is a serious discussion about Chankast, I was wondering what the authors think of the front-end and the utilities. I know that Chankast will be going open source but are you guys (the authors, not the rest of you) annoyed with these people are doing?
Because of it will be open source, the author will be find it good, because these author try to improve this emu.
ANd think on it if it will be OS! Then the party really begins! Chankast rocks and the authors are geniuses!

The Dude

MasterPhW_DX said:
Because of it will be open source, the author will be find it good, because these author try to improve this emu.
ANd think on it if it will be OS! Then the party really begins! Chankast rocks and the authors are geniuses!

That's what I think, but so many people at other forums are knocking them down because they think they are infringing on the authors' work.

SeiferAlmasy

La proxima versión alpha 0.3 estará esta semana que viene seguramente

The next version, alpha 0.3 comming soon in next week

Garantizo que Chankast correra en 600-700 Mhz. Estuvieron dando razones y motivos y fueron muy convincentes, se nota que saben lo que hacen a la perfeccion.

I guarantee that run's Chankast in 600-700 Mhz. They were giving to reasons and reasons and they were very convincing, note that know what they do to perfeccion.

Sorry my wrost translation... :blush:

jdsony

The reason I don't like plugins is not because they are difficult (for me) to setup, it's because it makes unnessesary downtime and can be overwhelming for people that don't understand all the options. Many times I just want to relax in front of the tv using tv-out and having to change options for different games just isn't natural. Even most PC games have far less config settings to change than emulators like EPSXE. Of course if the plugins are really good and don't require changing all the time for different games like for N64 emu's then we can all benefit from that. It's not really such a big deal since I bought a Dreamcast so any features the emulator can add that the DC doesn't have is a bonus.

Many of you are talking about adding plugins for the Capcom hack etc but really that's something that doesn't need to be a plugin at all, a Capcom hack could be completely eliminated from the emulator as time progresses.

The chankast authors can do whatever they like, they are doing great work and giving it to us for free so I'm more than happy with whatever they have in mind for the future.

manboy

jdsony said:
The reason I don't like plugins is not because they are difficult (for me) to setup, it's because it makes unnessesary downtime and can be overwhelming for people that don't understand all the options.

so you don't like plugins because you are not smart enough to understand them... :happy:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
On the other hand YOU may not be smart enough to understand that there are people that haven't used an emulator before or do not have the required knowledge, so stop insulting jdsony without reason.

ultima528

But the thing is, if you like the configuration the way it is right now, then maybe the authors could just make the current settings the default settings, and then you won't have to bother with it just like it is right now.
I'd say that plugin support is a good thing so that there are options for people (either way, I believe it's in the next version already, judging by the screenshots posted recently).

Multi-player network support would be great for games like HeadHunter & Fantasy Star Online.
I don't know wether it's possible or not...

OP
mashakos

mashakos

PLUGIN HISTORY LESSON
The reason psx and n64 emulators needed different configurations/plugins was that the standard PC's of the time couldn't run the games at a decent speed with default settings. So you if you didn't have a P3 800MHz with a nVidia TNT back in '99 you had to play around with the settings of Bleem! or get a glide wrapper for UltraHLE.

I don't know about other people but my 1 year old PC runs Chankast smoothly and I don't believe downgrading the quality of the GFX will affect the speed greatly since the speed problems are more related to emulation than to processing power of modern PC's. I also don't believe there's a point to downgrading the gfx of dreamcast games to the point where they look like PSX games. But the cool thing about ePSXe's plugin system was that it offered cool enhancements and super speedups for ppl with good PC's. On the other hand, it's a hassle setting up the system from scratch so much so that I made a util for myself that saves ePSXe's registry settings into different configurations.

A software gfx plugin would be a great idea for Chankast and that's for the 2D fighting games Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike and Jojo's Bizzare adventure. That way, those games will look more normal.

I believe that if a config/plugin system was employed it would need an effort from some of us to make smart frontends for easier use / n00b convenience :)

Heinster

ChAnkA_RuLz said:
Multi-player network support would be great for games like HeadHunter & Fantasy Star Online.
I don't know wether it's possible or not...

Why would anyone want to play a 1 player game(headhunter) online:smurf:?

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Heinster said:
Why would anyone want to play a 1 player game(headhunter) online:smurf:?

in fact, the online, if it's made one day, will be only enable the games with 2,3,4 players... it will send/receive the pad command of these players by the net... it's the only way to do that...

Last edited:

Talas

Son of the Sky
Huh? Didnt really understand that one Nightmare. You mean its possible to play Headhunter Online?

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Talas said:
Huh? Didnt really understand that one Nightmare. You mean its possible to play Headhunter Online?

how it could be possible ??? you can't... it's impossible... or you have to rewrite the game entirely... :p

even for the 2,3,4 players games it will be very difficult to make it possible...
ie: for soulcalibur, the 2 players have to be in the same arena... and even if they are in the same arena, at the beginning of the fight, the 2 players are at a random distance from each other... etc... all of these informations have to be send/receive... so i don't think you'll see netplay soon, in chankast...

anyway, a gamestate save is needed for doing that... and it's not implemented yet...

Last edited:

Talas

Son of the Sky
Its not? And I thought I had saved some stuff in Chankast. The VMU also shows that things have been saved on it...

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
S0LAR said:
I think he's talking about quicksaves created by the program, not the usual DC savegames.

you're right... you need a common entry point for the netplay... and it will be possible only with a quicksave (except if the authors can identified the variables from the rest of the game, or find the way to have same random numbers on both emulators), both machines have to start at the same point...

for those who know kalleira, it was pretty easy on kalleira to do that, because it was used with games (fighting games generally) who don't have random variables during the gameplay (kalleira only had to deal with the joystick/pad commands)... unfortunatly, it's not the case with lot of dreamcast games... it's make the work more difficult... (maybe impossible...)

EDIT * maybe there is a solution to have the same random variables on both computer... i remember that years ago, a random number was basicaly created with the clock of the computer... so if we can have exactly the same clock on both emulator, the random numbers should be the same... and in that case there is no need of a quicksave...

Last edited:
Wow, talk about EPSXE!!!

Will the PS plugin makers also think of making plugins on Chankast?

:happy: They did great work on the ps plugins :p

I know that its difficult, because they have to start all over again

jdsony said:
The chankast authors can do whatever they like, they are doing great work and giving it to us for free so I'm more than happy with whatever they have in mind for the future.

I really, really agree with your opinion, but sometimes too much headache wears out the creativity. Minds have limitations, and if the Chankast authors overworked themselves, they probably won't burst out the best for the Emu and will just be satisfied for what they have finished. This thread is to help them, in times of the mind crisis. So please bear with the recommendations of the users.

Pumster

Emulation has definitely come a long way. Though emulation is typically frowned upon, it does provide a way for some people to experience consoles they couldn't afford or purchase during their time. In my opinion, emulation isn't wrong if you at least purchase the game (Providing its a CD-Based game.) and the console is no longer supported or manufactured. (In other words, if it directly affects the company, it's probably wrong.) After all, who wants to buy a new-old console just to play one game? With games as expensive as they are, it seems wasteful to purchase these consoles, which can be expensive, for such a small amount of use.
With computers becoming faster and more powerful, mimicking home consoles is a much easier process. However, with the presence of 3D, you definitely need the advantage of being into PC games. For example, having a GeForce, ATi, or other form of Graphics Card is definitely a plus. In addition, you'll need all the RAM you can get; For higher-end consoles, such as Dreamcast or GameCube, 512+ MB of RAM is a must for some stable emulation. Actually, that reminds me - does Chankast have an FPS Limitation option? (To prevent the games from being run at unplayable speeds.)

Anyway, I'm boring, so, if you need somewhere to skip down to, look here. Good Dreamcast emulation is hard to find. Only a few emulators actually support commercial games, and people were starting to get bored waiting for a second chance to experience the Dreamcast. Fortunately, Chankast is the first real Dreamcast emulator, and, hopefully, the developer(s) will be able to finish this project. While I can't play it due to my GeForce 3, I still support this project - the Dreamcast is a great system and, once Chankast is finalized, everyone will see why.

Last edited: