What's new

Sapphire Radeon 9500 overheating BIG TIME.

Clements

Just get the GeForceFX 5600 and be happy! The 128MB doesn't look like it's the Ultra version to me, so get the 256MB one. It's a great card, nice performance and supports all the new crap like 'Pixel Shaders'. The 5700 Ultra is worth a look- $218 at newegg and is a good card. The nVidia's will run games like Doom 3 adequately. The 9500 Pro is faster than the 5600 but not by all that much.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements, yes, but is it worth supporting pixel shaders 2.0 if the support is obscenely slow compared to the competition? (read: with PS2.0 usage, even in HL2 which has a GeForce FX optimised path, the 'comparable' 9600 Pro destroys the FX 5600U's frame rates; added: in fact, the 9600 Pro is faster in HL2 than the FX 5900 Ultra)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Bah...I think you guys spend way to much time and money on video cards. I would say at most I have spent $350 on video cards in my lifetime, and I don't bother to figure out what the "32-bit hypershading trilinear c-buffer" is for unless a game I play will actually use it :p

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
Bah...I think you guys spend way to much time and money on video cards. I would say at most I have spent $350 on video cards in my lifetime, and I don't bother to figure out what the "32-bit hypershading trilinear c-buffer" is for unless a game I play will actually use it :p

^^; I've spent a lot of time, but not as much money as you think on video cards.

FYI, I paid for half of my $150 Kyro II ($75) and my Radeon 9500 Pro ($177.75) - total $227.75.

Clements

Tagrineth said:
Clements, yes, but is it worth supporting pixel shaders 2.0 if the support is obscenely slow compared to the competition? (read: with PS2.0 usage, even in HL2 which has a GeForce FX optimised path, the 'comparable' 9600 Pro destroys the FX 5600U's frame rates; added: in fact, the 9600 Pro is faster in HL2 than the FX 5900 Ultra)

The fact is, I couldn't care less if the corresponding ATi card is any faster. He just wanted an nVidia alternative, and I give him one. I'm happy with it, and I don't like Half-Life, I like Doom. :p

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
^^; I've spent a lot of time, but not as much money as you think on video cards.

FYI, I paid for half of my $150 Kyro II ($75) and my Radeon 9500 Pro ($177.75) - total $227.75.

Well, average it out with the fact that I have been buying one video card every 3 years since 1995 :p (albeit back then you didn't need to spend as much to get a good card...ironic isn't it?)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
Well, average it out with the fact that I have been buying one video card every 3 years since 1995 :p (albeit back then you didn't need to spend as much to get a good card...ironic isn't it?)

Wrong. 3Dfx Voodoo2 SLI - $600.

The Voodoo3 3500TV was like $300 on launch, too, wasn't it?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Wrong. 3Dfx Voodoo2 SLI - $600.

The Voodoo3 3500TV was like $300 on launch, too, wasn't it?

I am referring to the pre-3d card era. I remember I needed my first video card upgrade because my POS trident 512k of vram ISA card couldn't cut it for running duke3d at a normal frame rate. I spent about $50 on one IIRC.

Voodoo 2 I probably spent $50 on, because I went in half with somebody. My card after that was a GF 256 with DDR, I think I spent $100 going in halves on that one as well.

Last edited:
OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I just lost my job so I don't know if I'll be able to do the upgrade. I *think* I got the softmodding to work because my 3dMark03 scores jumped 1000 points but I don't notice any real difference in any of my games. FFXI still isn't that great. :\