What's new

Sapphire Radeon 9500 overheating BIG TIME.

Trotterwatch

Is your CPU still overclocked? If so underclock it, that's going to be a big factor in producing the higher heats capable of giving you the infinite loop error.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
The problem he is having is video card related, because the video would
get corrupted then lock up. Processor overclocking problems usually would cause Windows XP to give you a STOP: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error and *not* the infinite loop crash problem.

But, with one scenario:

If overclocking the processor and the processor is getting enough voltage, but the video card is not getting enough voltage, the video will
get corrupted, lock up and probably an infinite loop crash would occur.

If vice-versa, the processor is not getting enough voltage, you probably
would get these symptoms:

STOP: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when running processor intensive applications.

Games crash with a generic application exception error when playing
a 3D game or when a lot is going on in a 3D game.

Windows may give an exeption error reguarding an application executing an invalid instruction, even when the processor supports the function.

Windows may give you file corrupted errors.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

The problem he is having is video card related, because the video would
get corrupted then lock up. Processor overclocking problems usually would cause Windows XP to give you a STOP: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error and *not* the infinite loop crash problem.

Sigh

Overclocking the proccessor causes a build up of heat , it also usually involves overclocking the memory. This can indeed invoke the inifinite loop error, 'thus' you are wrong.

BTW, you might want to go into your BIOS and disable Fast Writes (if enabled), the single most pointless feature ever. I believe the only real advantage it offers is for DOS functionality (feel free to correct me anyone). I have never seen it over anything but an added instablility to windows.

As a temp measure also try turning off AGP 4x. Now before anyone jumps on my back, all I am doing is offering some simply diagnostic advice. If the crashes stop when using AGP4x, then sweet, you've found the prob. If not, just reenable AGP4x for it's small FPS increase :)

Last edited:

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
i think it could be the clockspeed of the ram of that card!
my brother has the same card (9500 nonpro 128MB redplatine and ram in L-form) from sapphire
the ramclockspeed is 275Mhz! do you use the softmod from the rivatuner?
My brother is using it and he has set the core clockspeed to 330Mhz and the ram to 325Mhz and it's workin very well! he has got more than 1000 points more than me in 3dmark03 (with a barton 2500+ @ 200Mhz x 10 --DDR 400) I've got a native 9700 with core/ram clock @ 263Mhz (can't be overclocked or i get the same result as you!)

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
Sigh

Overclocking the proccessor causes a build up of heat , it also usually involves overclocking the memory. This can indeed invoke the inifinite loop error, 'thus' you are wrong.

BTW, you might want to go into your BIOS and disable Fast Writes (if enabled), the single most pointless feature ever. I believe the only real advantage it offers is for DOS functionality (feel free to correct me anyone). I have never seen it over anything but an added instablility to windows.

As a temp measure also try turning off AGP 4x. Now before anyone jumps on my back, all I am doing is offering some simply diagnostic advice. If the crashes stop when using AGP4x, then sweet, you've found the prob. If not, just reenable AGP4x for it's small FPS increase :)

Yeah, you're talking about if the case temp goes too high and causes all the components to overheat. I have a case fan to avoid this problem
and the problem may be because he has no exaust fan next to the video card. GogoTheMimic's problem is video card or motherboard related, because he's also getting a scrambled display.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I have tons of fans. I have one intake in the front by the hd, one intake on the side in the middle, one exhaust on the top, two on the back, and one pci slot exhaust fan right below the card. I have no idea how to softmod it but I had my voltage on my CPU at 1.55 volts and the vid card at 1.6 Also, I have the AGP speed at 8x not 4.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Also, with the fact the person has a Pentium 4 processor, if the processor was overheating, there is a chance the processor will start thermal throttling, thus the PC will start being slow and games will
start becoming slow and jerky.

jollyrancher

Well the irony here is that P4s shouldn't overheat... they should come with a built-in fan but I bought this laptop in 99 that was recalled because it overheated.... and I just replaced the heatsink... put some thermal paste on and set it right and it was good.

Trotterwatch

Ok, Gogo, do this for me - drop the AGP speed down to 2x - and disable fast writes. Test your computer, does it still crash? If so, then fair enough reenable 8x.

If it doesn't, try going up to AGP4x, see if that is stable. AGP8x is pretty useless at the moment, and as usual not 100% stable.

RGGAAAAARCP or whatever said:
Also, with the fact the person has a Pentium 4 processor, if the processor was overheating, there is a chance the processor will start thermal throttling

Yes, but once again I cite the fact I am more concerned about the overall heat than one component overheating. The P4 itself may be within acceptable tolerances of heat, but the ambient temperature of the case could be much hotter due to it...

A basic rule of troubleshooting is to try to eliminate as many contributary factors as possible. Some people for example are loathe to turn the AGP speed down, despite the fact it is an easily reversible change.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Pentium IV's being hot also heats up the mainboard.

Mainboard chipsets are right next to CPU sockets these days.

Do we see a problem here?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
If the case is not hot, there's a majorly high likelihood you have an insufficient
power supply for overclocking.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I have a 500watt power supply! I had it down to 4x and the same junk happened. I haven't had any problems with it since I threw my CPU back down to stock. My question is, why would overclocking cause my video card to mess up? I mean, I can understand if I was overclocking the card but why would the CPU's overclocking cause the error with my card? Bah, I'm lost. What I'm probably going to end up to do is just get rid of this card and get a nVidia FX5600. My friend needs a better card to play FFXI with so I'll sell him my card cheap. Thing is, I'm torn between these two cards:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=14-127-995

Or to go with a 256mb card...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=14-127-102

Compared to my 9500, is the FX5600 chipset better, equal, or worse? Keep in mind that pretty much the only reason I would consider going to the 256 card over the 128 is my concern for my comp being able to handle Doom 3 and higher stuff. FFXI runs decent on my card now at default settings but get's choppy at times, would the 256 card be better for XI than the 128?

EDIT: I'm also thinking about getting a sound card. My integrated one works fine for me but what would be a good sound card for around 60 bucks? Soundblaster of some sorts? I'd also probably want to get surround sound speakers too huh? ><

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Probably because with a Pentium 4, always required to overclock the processor by overclocking the FSB, the AGP bus gets overclocked as well, if overclocking the FSB. The AGP bus was probably running out of spec.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Guess I'm gonna have to get a new vid card then. Oh darn, gonna have to upgrade my computer. *grins* Which card should I go for guys?

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Bah, I really don't want to get another ATI product. I think it'd also be nice to have a vid card made by the same company that made my mobo. The card is overclockable and it got great reviews from Tom's Hardware.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
GogoTheMimic said:
Bah, I really don't want to get another ATI product. I think it'd also be nice to have a vid card made by the same company that made my mobo. The card is overclockable and it got great reviews from Tom's Hardware.

So get an MSI Radeon. ;)