What's new

Rice's Unofficial Daedalus Plugin 4 For DirectX And OpenGL

Anakin

Well... It still doesn't work for me... In any way!

That's all...
It doesn't work for me....
There's nothing i can do...
I prefer all jobo's plugin... They work fine...
I know it's D3D and yours OpenGL, but doesn't work for me...
:(

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Re: Well... It still doesn't work for me... In any way!

Anakin said:
That's all...
Be more specific. And there's opengl *and* a directx version.
What happens when you try it? Refer to the post above and post relevant info as well.

stormyandcol

Helium Wish are coming...
excite bike now playable!
some graphical errors, especially in the distance but is running at near perfect fps.

once again showing its great compatibility and a great alternative for games that don't work well with other plugins. :D

Anakin

Re: Well... It still doesn't work for me... In any way!

Anakin said:
That's all...

Well... here i go.

My system:
Duron 1.3Ghz
256Mb
64Mb Video onboard Sis 630 AGP
Directx 8.1a
Direct3D HAL
Hardware Acceleration

I know you all say that it's a crap, but it works fine to me.
Your plugin doesn't work to me, neither directx 8.0/8.1 or openGl.
Opengl 1.2 works, but the graphics are horrendous and the game runs slowly. All the Jabo's plugins runs incredibly to me, but not yours. I have Opengl in my Sis 630 and doens't work.
Don't recomend to me Glide Wrappers 'cause they work good in one thing, and bad in others. I tried Voddo2,3, XGL200 and many others. they work a little bit. I like to play in a full screen.
Well... What do you recomend to me?

I've tried both Zelda 1 and 2, Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64, all basic games.

Or the System scrash or the screen turns black or the computer reset. It's all i've got.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Try eVoodoo (link below). That card is crap. I find it not hard to believe why the daedalus doesn't work :(
Try Glide64 & eVoodoo instead, or just change gfx card.
All links below.

stormyandcol

Helium Wish are coming...
this plugin shouldn't be considered a viable alternative for use with "basic" games like Mario64, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark etc.

it should be thought of as an excellent alternative for a selection of games that don't work well with existing graphics plugins, well, that is until it does get rid of some serious bugs thats stopping it from being the best plugin atm.

definately a plug in to watch out for, i'm sure with a few more releases down the line, it'll be the only plugin we need for a lot of games, overtaking even jabo's plugins.

p.s. checkout starfox, at the planet screen, notice theres no slow down here and is nearly perfect! :happy: shame its not so perfect in-game.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
it should be thought of as an excellent alternative for a selection of games that don't work well with existing graphics plugins
Could you specify a game for which this plugin is an excellent alternative? A game, which does not work well with all plugins but this one? I ask this because Rice's plugin does not work well enough with my Voodoo :(

Gonetz

i'd stick to glide plugins if you've got a voodoo.
:)))
You don't understand. I'm not searching a plugin to play. Sure, I'll use Glide64 for it (I'm one of its authors), but I like to see a progress of other plugins. Since I can't test this plugin myself (DX render does not work, OGL render works bad), I ask more lucky people about good things in that version.

Cyberman

Gonetz
3dfx does not support OGL 1.0 spec even.. it's a minigl driver that's a subset of GL 1.0 spec. I forget what's missing but apparently it's a number of functions. MiniGL JUST supports the features used in Quake GL only. (mrph). KoolSmokey has a GL replacement that I think it's better (I've tried it and it seems a little better) but you must put the DLL in the same directory as the program you are trying to use it with (IE Project64 .. etc).

It doesn't work GREAT but it runs OK.

Cyb

Gonetz

3dfx does not support OGL 1.0 spec even.. it's a minigl driver that's a subset of GL 1.0 spec. I forget what's missing but apparently it's a number of functions. MiniGL JUST supports the features used in Quake GL only.
It's common mistake. 3dfg OGL driver is full enough to run ANY commercial game, at least released up to end of 2001. It also can run non-commercial appliocations like screen savers and video plugins. Pete's OGL plugin runs pretty well on my video card. There is one true MiniGL driver - Metabyte's WickedGL, it can run games only. I do believe that 3dfx OGL driver lacks or poorly implemets some functions of OGL 1.1 (or why it does not work well with Rice's plugin?), but it definitely is not MiniGL.

Here is a link to Koolsmoky's OGL driver page. It seems to be data 11/9/2002.. so it's rather recent
Thanks. I've tried it. It does not work with Rice's plugin at all :(
So, my question is not canceled - is there any game worth to try with this plugin? If there are some, I'll check them on a computer with GForce card. Don't let me die of curiosity :)

Cyberman

Actually that's if your card is a Voodoo 4 or 5 mines a 3 doesn't work with 'most' games etc. That's life!

Koolsmokey's almost gets NWN working on it though (LOL).

Cyb

Gonetz

Actually that's if your card is a Voodoo 4 or 5 mines a 3 doesn't work with 'most' games etc. That's life!
You are mistaken again. Voodoo3 can run any games which support 16bit color. And V3 can run NWN, very slow though. But this discussion is offtopic here :)

Cyberman

Gonetz said:
You are mistaken again. Voodoo3 can run any games which support 16bit color. And V3 can run NWN, very slow though. But this discussion is offtopic here :)
So I'm mistaken that it hasn't worked for 6 months even though I've changed all the settings set it into the right textures settings right screen size settings right movie settings, and made sure the right drivers were in? Even though Bioware themselves said 'We are sorry it's unlikely you'll be able to get it too work because we would need to know the specifics associated to the 3dfx cards and they are a minority of those available in any case." In the self help forum none the less.. It works FINE on voodoo 4 and 5's anything less it does not. I can only get to the load screen and then things flip out. The GL drivers are very incomplete I might point out as well. IE just like ATI's GL drivers THEY LIE about supported features, this is documented by Pete Bernadete. (See PeoPs and a lot of other cool GPU plugins for the PSXEMupro).

To summarize the drivers for my card do not support certain features NWN has to have. It's irrergardless of weather it's 32 or 16 bit pixel depth. The drivers simply don't support all the GL functions Bioware used which are OGL 1.1 functions. They can't make work arounds for a dead card either (apparently they did for ATI cards which had a LOT of problems for a while).

All drivers are not created equal.. especially for the Voodoo ones :) I've seen a lot of 'repacked' drivers out there but none work with NWN (LOL). The machine is adequate to run NWN as well. So that isn't it.

Cyb

Cyberman

OGL recognition technique

Hey Rice!
Hope things are well with you and all.. stupid question time.
How do you recognize the systems available OGL drivers? I have a GeeForce 2 400mx 64M card in my machine (Dell probably makes the card woopie). Anyhow It seems to pick Microsoft OGL for the GL available. Nvidia causes it to freak out (hehehe), I'm wondering if the GL drivers aren't correctly installed in the machine suddenly (wouldn't surprise me DELL has that tendancy to do MS only). I'll install the Nividia provide (Or maybe Dell provided) drivers (latest and worst yet perhaps?) and see if it still does this. Would be nice to know if the thing is supporting GL properly.

Suggestions on if I'm going nuts or not would be appreciated ;)

Cyb

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Hi, Cyberman

I think your OGL driver is correctly installed, or just need reinstall the Nvidia provided driver.

Microsoft usually provides OGL 1.1 for any video cards ( I guess it implements most of the OGL features in software, not hardware accelerated).

In the program, I can load OGL driver strings (wgl extension functions) to know where the driver comes from, what OGL extension the driver supports, then I will decide which OGL extension feature I can use in the plugin.

I believe Nvidia supports OGL and extension the best, followed by ATI.

Cyberman

Well after installing the latest drivers for NVidia's cards it works fine.. geesh. My card has the SVideo out dohickey but I doubt it will work with my card since I think DELL made it and they do things there way :)

I tested Zelda MM and Super mario. Had some weird thing happen where mario's head points upward on the opening screen it didn't do it the second time I ran it so my guess is you have a few uninitialized variables floating around. Bit maps are a little hosed I noticed, namely it looks as if they are being redraw 300 times a second as they are all torn and shreded looking. Other than that.. looks great!

Cyb

BFeely

Here's what happens to Yoshi's Island on my PC using DirectX mode: (Geforce3 Ti 200, latest drivers, DirectX 8.1)
yoshi_bug.jpg

Notice that most of the sprites are huge.
It does not happen when the screen is in 320x240 mode though.