What's new

Rice's Daedalus plugin 4.3.0

Rice

Emulator Developer
I enjoy to join the party that new plugins are getting released every week, all getting better and better.

what's new in this new release.

For both OpenGL and DirectX:
- Fog fully works
- more texture released bug fixes and more speed
- Color combiner compiler fixes
- Gamma color correction option to enhance dark images
- More GUI options
- Z-buffer depth is configurable now, should be more compatible with video cards used to have zbuffer problems
- Others

For OpenGL
- Color combiner for nvidia is working almost flawless
- Viewport bug fix
- Texel 1 coordinates bug fixed.
- Using opengl pointer arrays for more speed

Games getting better (as I tested):
- Zelda OOT and MM
- Mario tennis
- Waverace
- Papermario

As this plugin supports opengl 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and nvidia opengl extensions, and supports all DirectX compatible video cards, setting options should be paid attention if the plugin does not seem to work fine for you, you might want to switch to different DirectX combiner or opengl variants to see better result, even though the default option should be the best for you.

Again, opengl works the best if you have nvidia Geforce 256 or better video cards with correct nvidia driver installed. ATI Radeon is supported as opengl 1.3. If you get everything right, opengl should looks better than DirectX though it is a little slower.

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
The file is changed. A new file is uploaded to fix two found problems. Zelda 2 crashing problem (texture loading) and castlevania primary depth bug.
And a new option - Fast texture loading, it works and really fast.
And a new option to avoid image covering by toolbar.

Last edited:

Kid A

Nevermind
Rice:
You said...

"As this plugin supports opengl 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and nvidia opengl extensions......."

Where is opengl 1.3 option?

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Kid A said:
Where is the opengl 1.3 option

Good point, I don't bother to put it into the list as I am supporting it in the same way as 1.2. I should change the menu to "Opengl 1.2/1.3".

You should tell if you are using DirectX or Opengl for me to understand your problem better. I guess your problem is with DirectX. Can you try different zbuffer depth setting to see if one of the settings works for you? This is one of the problems I try to fix with this release.

Someone had mentioned to me that Radeon DirectX driver broke its depth buffer recently and application software needs to do depth culling job which should be done by driver.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Default setting should work just fine for Geforce2 GTS. My general suggestion of trying different settings is for non-nvidia video cards as I have no chance to test them.

jacky400

Rice, would u mind telling us what is the difference and meaning between each z-buffer depth option ? If i own a Nvidia card,which one is good to use ?

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
No, there is no difference for us to emulate N64 as fas as one works. The plugin itself should detect a correct one to use. For some reason, some video cards does not tell which one to use correctly, the plugin uses the one told by the video card driver, but the one does not actual work. This is the only reason that I add this user option to the config box. Radeon is one of such video cards, some Radeon driver versions are broken, and I try to give a chance for such video card users to manually select another zbuffer depth.

One of the choices is special, the 16bit_lockable. Unfortunately my geforce 2 does not support it. We need it to play Resident Evil 2, and I can not program it as my video card does not support it.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
What video card would Resident Evil 2 require then?

Would the depth buffer method for Resident Evil 2 explicitly *require* a GeForce 4 Ti or Radeon 8500?

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
These two are definitely supporting it. I don't know others. My cheap laptop onboard video card does support it, unbelievable, but not my geforce 2!

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
There's a problem for me. I have the Z-buffer problem on my ATI Radeon 8500, but all of the setting either fail, or make no difference.

Oh, and 16-bit lockable was one of the ones that failed...

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
OMG!! For first time I'm playing in 1964 at full speed!! :D
Superb work Rice!

Just one thing: I can't go fullscreen, it only hides the toolbars :(

L

Linkin Park

good work!!! :D it´s more faster , more faster!:happy:
:daedalus: