What's new

Rice's Daedalus 5.0.0/5.0.1 feedback thread

Rice

Emulator Developer
Rice's Daedalus 5.0.0 feedback thread

Give your opinions and suggestions in this thread, not bug reports. You can also post your new shots here.

See another thread for bug reports.

Rice

scotty

The Great One
Your emulator is still a great emulator, however there is still quite a few discolourations in the games I have played.

In Perfect Dark; the menus colouration is really bad in particulr, and that is the only place in the game that is actually slow.

The plugin has great compatibility and is very stable

Oh I forgot about Perfect Dark's camspy problem, I cannot see where I am going when I use the camspy

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Is it working with my crappy Rage 128 yet? Last time there were major issues, ranging from flickering like a strobe light to practically no working graphics at all (and OpenGL CRAWLS on my system for some reason, with your plugin at least.)

Don't get the wrong idea, i'm not insulting your plugin, I have the lowest end 3D card that's usable...

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
nephalim said:
Is it working with my crappy Rage 128 yet? Last time there were major issues, ranging from flickering like a strobe light to practically no working graphics at all (and OpenGL CRAWLS on my system for some reason, with your plugin at least.)

Don't get the wrong idea, i'm not insulting your plugin, I have the lowest end 3D card that's usable...

I have Rage 128 AGP on my office computer, it works fairly good.

DeLeTeBR

Re: Rice's Daedalus 5.0.0 feedback thread

And the men has done it again, now it is faster then ever to fight against one of the last robot bosses in Mystical Ninja and Neon genesys Evangelion is nicer (now I can see almost all menus).

Best regards and thank's for your hard work,
DeLeTeBR

Last edited:

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
puzzle league.

many of the mans hate pokemon, but of the game puzzle league it is better than other games, even of the pokemon, which is annoying. also in the new 5.0 is it very close to working. VERY close. if the errors of this game are fixed, maybe the greatest plugin you will have of all plugins because it fixes other games also.

for this game is not the most exciting for me like dr. mario, but is it a good game anyway.

shroomario

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I don't get it. for some reason, every game I've played is slow as dirt. My machine is decent, as you can see from my specs. How fast do the games like super smash and starfox 64 run for you, rice?

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
karth95 said:
I don't get it. for some reason, every game I've played is slow as dirt. My machine is decent, as you can see from my specs. How fast do the games like super smash and starfox 64 run for you, rice?

I get about full speed on my PIII-600, geforce2 MX400 with windows 640x480 with 1964, CF=3.

It is slowed by your video card, not your CPU or memory. Try to use 16 bit, DirectX, low/mid-end combiner, low resolution windowed mode.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Bomberman 2

I can't run games like killer instinct, yoshi's story, and bomberman the second attack. I only get a black screen (and Dlist gets to 0.0%) using DirectX. OpenGl is mostly broken is this version (I don't get a black screen, rather a lot of black squares). other games doesn't have problems in directX (and well, I haven't to run noone good enough with OpenGL)

The only exception can be bomberman 64 the second strike, that show the logos only and then turns black. (You need to enable also normal combiner to display bomberman graphics with the right colors)

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Re: Bomberman 2

NeTo said:
I can't run games like killer instinct, yoshi's story, and bomberman the second attack. I only get a black screen (and Dlist gets to 0.0%) using DirectX. OpenGl is mostly broken is this version (I don't get a black screen, rather a lot of black squares). other games doesn't have problems in directX (and well, I haven't to run noone good enough with OpenGL)

The only exception can be bomberman 64 the second strike, that show the logos only and then turns black. (You need to enable also normal combiner to display bomberman graphics with the right colors)

It is not true. KI runs like charm. OpenGL are working better than ever with all OGL version. Yoshi has combiner problem, but Bomberman should work just fine.

Haven't you pay attention to the new options? I guess your Bomberman ROM is not covered by the INI, but you can just switch the "Screen update setting" option to make it work.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Re: Re: Bomberman 2

Rice said:
It is not true. KI runs like charm. OpenGL are working better than ever with all OGL version. Yoshi has combiner problem, but Bomberman should work just fine.

Haven't you pay attention to the new options? I guess your Bomberman ROM is not covered by the INI, but you can just switch the "Screen update setting" option to make it work.

I know those game should run, so I know my prob. is specific for my system. Just posted to see if someone has experienced the same, and knew some solutions.

I have messed up all settings, and haven't found anything that works yet.

Oh, I guess my OpenGL problems are system-specific too.

Here is a shot of Bomberman to explain you wat i meant when said OpenGl was broken

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
And one for Paper Mario.

Well, i think i can live without OpenGl, since DirectX work pretty well. Anyway, keep up the good work Rice!

Riven

Rice said:
I get about full speed on my PIII-600, geforce2 MX400 with windows 640x480 with 1964, CF=3.

It is slowed by your video card, not your CPU or memory. Try to use 16 bit, DirectX, low/mid-end combiner, low resolution windowed mode.

Ummm, 1964 0.99 emutalk.com beta?????

I'll like to put my hands on it :1964:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Rice is one of the two 1964 Authors the other being schibo, Only They (and maybe beta testers) have it.

PistolGrip

Just a few things which might help you in your design.

1) Forget about crappy video cards and supporting them, not only do they not have the speed to do n64 emulation well, they miss features which no doubt takes you longer to add. Make the cutoff point a GEFORCE2MX or equivilent. Is there any reason you do both OPENGL and DIRECTX? I will take a look at the source code later and see if this designed well (if it was abstracted enough from the platform level it wouldn't really matter which API you use and hence this isn't a problem). DirectX or OpenGL run fine on ALL decent hardware, no need to give the option.

2) You have too many options which actually greatly affect emulation. Usually you have options for "extra" things and make sure that the actual emulation runs the best it can on the hardware it is running on, without requiring user interaction.

3) It does not work properly until you have properly tweaked it (sort of similar to #2), ideally it should work the best it can on your hardware without having to go to the options first.

Your plugin is very good, I hope you can use what I have said as constructive critism. I look forward to your future releases.

milen

Strange with my Voodoo3 I get about 35Vi/s in absolutely evry game i try in Opengl 1.1 combiner. I too get more speed with tr64ogl but this plugin is more compitable. I have full speed in evry game that works with glide64 or jabo1.5. Jet Force Jemini works great.

Zerogoki

Susume! Taisen Puzzle Dama Toukon! Marumata Chou is far better emulated:

before:

Puzzle%20Dama%20rice%204.6.JPG

now:

Puzzle%20Dama%20rice%205.0.JPG

Thanks for the very good job Rice.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
karth95 said:
I have a Gforce2 TI, with 64 meg ram. I know it's not the fastest on the market, but it does the job. I can hit a consistant 60 vi/sec with TR64ogl in Super smash. With your plugin, I get 36 vi/sec. About the same for mario64. I guess I'll have to play around some more, because no one else seems to have this problem.

I run your plugin in 32bit mode, is it going to make that huge a difference between 16bit and 32?

edit: Well, I just ran some tests, and it's very strange. No matter what I do, it gets 30vi/sec. 16bit, 32bit, 1024x768, 640x480, cf 1, cf 3, doesn't matter. 30 vi/sec. Anyone got any help? I already removed the ini and re-added it, and ran the uininstall for 1964, but it doesnt' seem to matter.

Edit again:
I just changed to directx. Works great. 100% on everything. So my openGL is screwed. Time to backrev my nvidia drivers, and see how it goes. using DX, I get 60vi/sec @1024x768 in 32bit mode.

Edit for the third time.
Backrev'd from 4.4.03 to 30.something, same problem no matter what. I'm somewhat irritated at this point. I can't think of anything else to do.

I had the same problem with OpenGL stuff being super slow. I didn't back up to an earlier driver though. I set my display to the generic VGA. Uninstalled Nvidia drivers via the ADD/REMOVE control panel. Then used a Nvidia driver remover from Guru 3D . After that I reinstalled the latest version of NV drivers again. Everything was smooth sailing from there.

gamerk2

Banned
I have an issue when loading a state ONLY when in fullscreen mode. It works fine in windowed mode. It says that it could not intitiate Direct X 8. I'm currently using Direct X 9.0.

I've tried it on all my games, and i have the same error.

My display is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.

I'm using the defalt settings, and i'm running on PJ64.

Is it a Direct X error, or my video card?

By the way, on army men 1, the colors of the soiders are wrong.
The colors are slightly improved in the 2xSal mode, but that messes the backgrounds up. This was also a problem in the older version, but at least the game runs at full speed in fullscreen mode and in the cutscenes now. Keep up the good work!