What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Retexture Guide

mode7

No but we could put something together with people on the forums.
I'll be writing a tut for skybox and tiled images retexturing soon anyway.

gitech

N64 Artist
Are you planing to assemble the guide or would you like one built by "us"? I was thinking of writing one with input from others. Here is some info that I posted in another thread that can be used in a retexture guide, and/or to help you for now:

The "hires_texture" folder is where you would put a "hires texture pack" that you can download from various threads here in our "Hight resolution texture projects" forum.

Or, it is where you would place "your" hi-res textures if you made some from your own texture dump of a game.

To do your own hires textures you would first check "dump textures to files" in the video plugin and play through the game that you want to dump and retexture. A new folder will automatically be created in your "plugin" folder called "texture_dump". In that folder another new folder will automatically be created for the game you "dumped" textures from with the "correct name" for the game. By "correct name" I mean it is the name that the plugin created for the folder and is the name that the plugin recognizes for that game. This means that when/if you make a hires texture of your own you will need to place it in (save it to) a folder of the same (exact) name that YOU create within in the "hires_texture" folder. That way the plugin goes to the "hires_texture" folder to look for the games textures instead of the ROM.

Tip: play through one "area", "level" or "room" at a time and take (copy) the textures that dump for that "area" AFTER you have fully explored it and just BEFORE you leave the "area" to go to the next, such as defeat a boss or go through a door. Create a new folder in your (plugin/hires_texture/"game name") folder with the name of the "level" or "area" you just copied the dumps for. Paste the textures that you copied from the dump folder for that area into it your new (plugin/hires_texture/"game name"/"area name") folder you just created.

For example your folder directory would look like this: ...Desktop\Emulators\N64\N64 Emulators\project64 1.6\Plugin\hires_texture\CASTLEVANIA2\CHARACTERS\FRIENDLIES\CARRIE FERNANDEZ\CARRIE 2ND COSTUME\2ND POISON

*All of the folders in capital letters were created by me/would be created by you. This example is of a folder directory that is pretty advanced but I put it here to show you what kind of folder creation/organization you should use to make sorting through all the textures you create easier when you are faced with thousands of textures to keep track of.

Once you have all of the textures for an area in the folder you created above you can open the texture you want to change (make "hi-res") in an editing program like Photoshop, do what ever you want to it, and save it. It should save right over the old "lo-res" texture, and now you have a hi-res texture that will replace the old one while playing the game.

For reference you can download this hi-res texture pack and learn more about retexturing from my experiences here: Castlevania LOD Hi-res Texture Pack WIP

OP
shaoranmps

shaoranmps

Manaurys M. suazo
one done by all the people that have retexture pack is that if i learn something about retextu it would be a help for everybody because a i have 24 hour free time 7 day i week i could finished a pack weeks and help in his pack everyone who need it

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Mmh, need a fast response, that's why I'm posting it here.
If I change other textures, than the png_all textures, like the ci_by_png and the png_by_rgb_a, what do I need to bear in mind? It seems, that none of my retextures are loading, not in Rice and not in Glide.
I would really need help.

gitech

N64 Artist
Just some fast ???

Is this a first time problem for you? Are you saving them as .png? Are they in the right folder? Is your editing program set for a different image "mode" other than RGB color? Are you using the same ROM version to load the textures that you dumped them from?

mode7

Mmh, need a fast response, that's why I'm posting it here.
If I change other textures, than the png_all textures, like the ci_by_png and the png_by_rgb_a, what do I need to bear in mind? It seems, that none of my retextures are loading, not in Rice and not in Glide.
I would really need help.

Are you using the latest version of mudlords rice plugin?
Because this one doesn't seem to have any problems with ci for me.
Just use ci by rgba and you'll be fine.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Just some fast ???

Is this a first time problem for you? Are you saving them as .png? Are they in the right folder? Is your editing program set for a different image "mode" other than RGB color? Are you using the same ROM version to load the textures that you dumped them from?
Yeah, to be exactly, it's my second problem, but my first one I fixed via replacing glide wonder hq with glide napalm and all textures loads correctly with both rice and glide. I am saving them as *.png like all my other textures. I don't know exactly, what you mean with other image mode? And yes, I am using the exactly same version of the rom.

Are you using the latest version of mudlords rice plugin?
Because this one doesn't seem to have any problems with ci for me.
Just use ci by rgba and you'll be fine.
Yeah, using the latest version.
It seems, that none of the changed textures are loading. Only the edited png_all. They all have an alpha channel and are a multiple of 2 (nearly 4 - 8) and named correctly. Wonder what I did wrong.

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
I have been messing around with Glide64_Napalm_PR1 and as far as my LOD textures go only about 20% of them load.

Are you using mudlord/rice to make/dump your textures and glide64 napalm to load them?

OP
shaoranmps

shaoranmps

Manaurys M. suazo
i was thinking if was this topic about plugins problems or if anyone have a guide to retexture because most of the replay arent saying anything about that so is anyone going to help or keep talking about something that doesnt have to be with this topic??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

P.D theres a plugin forum here in emutalk for those who dont know

gitech

N64 Artist
Sure, sorry on behalf of us. I will help MasterPhW by IM.

You can help and bring your thread back to topic by posting a list of things you would like to see in a retexture guide. Take your time, make it neat and ledgible so there is no confusion and I and others will start to talk about what to do next. Hopefully. ;)

OP
shaoranmps

shaoranmps

Manaurys M. suazo
thanks is very good but a i really want example i got allready the textures and i want it to give it an effect like cell shaded or things like what are the steps i got to do

microdev

i really want example i got allready the textures and i want it to give it an effect like cell shaded or things like what are the steps i got to do

Ah, I see. Try this one.

If that one does not fit to your need than do a Google search like that. It supplies you with plenty of cell shading tutorials.

Last edited:
OP
shaoranmps

shaoranmps

Manaurys M. suazo
well i a little hard to do it but this was what i was looking for thanks microdev if ya see something intersting about posted here