What's new

questions about Epsxe

realworksuks

hi, I have Version 1.6 of Epsxe, I checked their website and apparently this is the newest version, last updated 3 years ago.. I can't get the thing to work properly. I want to use it for both Iso's and Cd's. I can get the Iso Loaded and working, but it goes way too fast, and every once in a while freezes for a second then starts going really fast again, the sound is also really fast, and the sound didn't work during the cutscene either, but worked in game... The Graphics are terrible in game, but really good during cutscnes. I used all of the basic settings in the wizard guide: Pete's Open Gl 2.7 for graphics and Espxe SPU core 1.52 for sound. and Also I have one of my ps2 controllers hooked up through USB, and I can't get the joysticks to work at all, the joypad configure doesn't read them or something.. Can anyone help me solve these problems? My computer specs are 2.4 ghz athlon, 1 gig of ram, integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics card, also a basic integrated sound card as well. Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cyberman

I do NOT recomend using the OGL 2.X plugin first. Try using the DirectX 1.7 by Pete. Although not as splendifferous in options it is much better to test with. Be certain you set the FPS limiting or you have no hope. :D Click on show FPS and READ PETE's readme for his GPU's. You wouldn't have to ask here if you had. You should be certain to set it to automatic. It seems like you have FPS limiting OFF.

I can't help you with your joypad, I recomend testing to see if it works using control panel first then go from there. Unfortunately you cannot use Nrage's PS1 joystick plugin since ePSXe doesn't appear to support these.

Also to save your sanity I recomend ePSXecuter from Pete. This toy makes things extremely easy for solving some of the more unique problems of PS1 game emulation namely it makes a unique configuration per game. You can set up everything without running ePSXe itself save the joystick :D

Last edited:
OP
R

realworksuks

thanks, I got the joypad to work! I am trying to find some plugins, what would you recommened for the system I told you about? I don't really know anything about plugins or things like that, truthfully I don't even know what they do, all I know is I need them to play the games, so keep in mind your talking to an idiot here.. hah. anbody know of a good site to find plugins, and psxe executor, etc.

xneoangel

Persona User
All right i'd recommend Pete's OpenGL 1.76 for your system (not OGL2), but that also depends on the game you are trying to play if it has 3D definetly use OpenGL 1.76 but if it is mostly a 2D game i'd suggest P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU 1.17(Your CPU will be able to handle it).

Also you should tell us what game are trying to play, because at PSX emulation every game needs to be configured in a special way to make it run properly, that's why Cyberman suggested ePSXecutor and that's why i need to know what game are you trying to play to be able to help you.

You can find all Pete's Plugins here:
http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

OP
R

realworksuks

well, the only game I tried so far is vagrant story. I am going to try Harvest moon back to nature soon, and also wild arms, and saga frontier, hmm and grandia. I just got that ePSXecutor, is that thing gonna be hard to use? What should I do with the sound plugin, and what settings should I use for both graphics and sound?

OP
R

realworksuks

oh yeah, and the thing that bothers me the most is the constant one second lagging that happens, why does that keep happening? about every 7 seconds it lags for a second and then resumes..

when I just used Epsxecutor, it didn't let me config anything..

forget that last post, I'll figure that out

Last edited by a moderator:

xneoangel

Persona User
Ok let me explain ePSXcutor is a program that makes profiles for your games so you can save the optimal settings for every game you run on ePSXe.

That lagging may be caused by your CD Drive reading the disc, i suggest you make an ISO of the game on your Hard Drive and run it from there.

P.S: Dont double post, there is an edit button you can use.

OP
R

realworksuks

sorry about the multiple posts. Wow i've made huge progress, harvest moon and tactics ogre are working pretty much perfectly. No lagging on those games, and i got the Epsxcutor to work too. I have been just using ISO's so far by the way. There are so many options still that I have no idea what they do for example under sound: enable MDEC XA, enable CDCA, Enable SPU IRQ hack, etc. This is a different emulator from what i'm use to. Usually there is a file button up top where you can reset the game, save state etc, is there save state?. I haven't saved a game yet, but I am thinking I will run into difficulty there. I think I have some ok settings for a slow game, like harvest moon. I wonder what settings I should use for the faster games like, gran tourismo 2 or something. Oh and another thing, in most emulators there is a fast forward or a speed button, does that exist?

OP
R

realworksuks

thanks, you've been a lot of help. It seems I only have 2 memory cards, is there a way to make more of those?

xneoangel

Persona User
Yes of course, if you read the tutorial on memory cards i linked in my previous post you should see this phrase:

"In this window you can select the 2 files that will be used for memcards. If you select an inexisting file, it will be created the first time you run a game. To continue hit OK."

So you can have as many memory cards as you want but you can only have 2 mounted at a time, or you could use epsxecutor and set a different memory card for each game.

OP
R

realworksuks

awesome. I am wondering what do the codes mean?? Here's an example: Asteroids - (NTSC-U)

Last edited:

xneoangel

Persona User
NTSC is the television system used in USA, Japan and the Americas.
NTSC-U stands for National Televison System Comittee - USA
For NTSC games you'll need an US BIOS

PAL is the television system used in Europe.
For PAL games you'll need an european BIOS.

I'm just telling this for informative purposes as you shouldn't be speaking about browsing ISOS and stuff as warez is not allowed in this forum.

You should read the rules.

OP
R

realworksuks

hey back a few posts ago you recommended the OGL plugin 1.67, and not OGL2. Why is that? I've been using both and can't tell much of a difference. Also that link you posted on memory cards doesn't work.

xneoangel

Persona User
Yes OGL2 looks better but it requires much more of a system, i mean a Geforce 6800 or ATI X800 can be stressed by OGL2 with high settings (i dont know about current generation cards though), and OGL1 looks worse but is much more compatible and requires less system and since you have an integrated Geforce 6150 i suggest you to use OGL1.

About the link, that's weird, it works for me.

OP
R

realworksuks

That was some good advice, the OGL 1 has been running a lot smoother than OGL2, and I can't really tell the difference between the two's graphics. I have a question though. If i want to upgrade my computer to make these games run perfectly with awesome high resolution and all that stuff. What do you think I need the most? Is all I need is a new video card? Or would I have to get extra ram also? I doubt my processor speed is an issue but maybe. Here is my system so you don't have to go back and look.
Athlon 64 3800 2.4 ghz.
1 gb ram
and the integrated NVIDIA Geforce 6150 LE

What would be the best way to run these games perfectly..?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Switch your graphics card to something non-integrated. Other than that, your system is more than enough (or dare I say even overkill) for PSX emulation. Any GeForce or Radeon that has good Pixel Shader and OpenGL support should suffice.

xneoangel

Persona User
That system is more than enough for PSX emulation, the only thing you will need to upgrade would be your Graphics Card(and only if you want to use OGL2), anyway if you will upgrade you should go for any current generation mid-range card like a Geforce 7600GT(this one is great card, it is as fast as a 6800GT and in some cases even faster and it's only 200$, and you can find cheaper than that, i have one of these and im really happy with it) or an ATI equivalent i believe the X1600 is ATI's mid-range offering but im not sure, or if you can afford it go for something better than that.

Agozer said:
You don't need a PAL BIOS to run PAL games on emulators.

I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me.

Last edited: