Project64 site redesign

OuT

here's my tweaked N64 logo (click on the image for full size) :

icon preview:
48uc1.png
32wc0.png
16lu6.png

... files!

@Iconoclast: your avatar is also displayed too slowly with IE7...

Iconoclast

Now that looks awesome.

Doesn't surprise me. Microsoft's programming is usually bloated when it comes to file size, and they STILL forget some implementations. FireFox and possibly Opera should view my avatar at the correct speed.

OuT

another idea, based on SWAT_Marc's work (link)

48tg5.png
32ve4.png
16ha3.png

very, very quickly done... and I don't like this one much, because it's too similar with Windows Media Player icon...

anyway, files as usual!

Mr.Garrison

Hm I think it's hard for us to judge which of the logos will fit best in their upcoming design, so no, I don't think that's such a good idea.

Iconoclast

Well, why is it a bad idea to start a poll on a bunch of ideas tough to choose between? That's the purpose of a poll. Now, if the decision was very easy to agree on, then a poll wouldn't make sense.

Mr.Garrison

What I was trying to say was that it's hard for us to know what logo is going to fit in with the design because only zilmar or whoever is designing the site knows how the site is going to look.

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
here's my tweaked N64 logo (click on the image for full size) :

icon preview:
48uc1.png
32wc0.png
16lu6.png

... files!

@Iconoclast: your avatar is also displayed too slowly with IE7...

Now thats a nice image. I'd vote for that definitely.

I think a poll would be good for this, once we get a couple more good quality logos.

Iconoclast

Even better, it's not copyrighted!

*waits for skepticism*

Well, if he used the 4 bit one I made to make that, then, yes, it is, but he didn't have to use mine. There are non-copyrighted versions of the N logo image on Google images; they can't tell if he used that or ripped it from the ROM/got it from someone (me) who did.

What's more; I can't imagine a Project64 logo that would look any better than that. It just looks so awesome for a logo...what does the team think?

The ONLY downfall to using that as Project64's icon is that it doesn't really say anything about Project64 in contrast to the other N64 emulators, but hey, not all programs out there have a icon with their name/acronym in it. I think the simple recolorized N idea is as good as it gets, here.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
IE 7 supports PNG transparency quite well, but that's not the case for previous IE versions...

this aliasing can also be due to a not-so-good outline selection... simply try the "magic wand" of Paint.NET, you'll be amazed! and the most important, save in a format that support alpha channel (transparency) ;)

actually, IE6 can use PNG alpha, but you have to add a heckload of scripting.

A.I.

Banned
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Iconclast. Yes, it's a nice icon and it is preferable in appearance to the old one but it is really just another Nintendo logo; albeit different colours.

If I had to choose this or the old one I would take the old one again and again not because I like it it but because it represents the concept of this great emulator: that it was made by the fans for the fans, not Nintendo. Yes it needs a major spruik up and I don't deny it doesn't look old and a little dated, but not to the extent Project's 64 identity is changed forever.

As you said most sites don't have a icon with their name on it and this is one of the many thousands of reasons why PJ64 stands alone from other emulators. It already has an identity, a reputation and performance to match. As reverant as I am to Nintendo, Project 64 is so much more than the original N64.

To change it to the default 'N' would be an insult to Zilmar and all the people who have made PJ64 what it is today. PJ64 deserves it's own icon, not a carbon copy of Nintendo's. And this means the logo DOES have to have 'Project 64' or 'PJ64' in it. Even 'PJ' would suffice. Take away PJ64's identity and Project 64 loses it's soul and I don't think it's makers would want that, do you?

And I know what you're going to say: does a emulator has a soul? Well religious discussion aside (I think we had enough of that lately!) what I'm trying to say is: they can take away Project 64's logo but they can't take away Project 64!

Actually, I think I may have contradicted myself here but you know what I'm trying to say... :p

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

XdaywalkerX, the app is called PJ64, so you may want to put a J into your designs (if it has one already I apologise, but I can't see it).

OuT

3 last submits are amazing!

mine are not really good: they're not enough custom

Last edited: