What's new

Project 64's Legacy!

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
Will there ever be more pj64 versions?

I mean non-official...

I understood the team asked us not to make them...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, Pj has been discontinued now... :(
And I really dunno 'bout that, but the core source has been released, so other emulators may use it for their own benefit.

I doubt that there would be any non-official releases; that would be stealing the code.

OP
Johnny_Rico

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
But--

People continued UltraHLE (SupraHLE)!
Why can't people continue PJ64 in the same way?

Doomulation

Johnny_Rico said:
But--

People continued UltraHLE (SupraHLE)!
Why can't people continue PJ64 in the same way?
Don't you get it? SupraHLE merly STOLE the code from UltraHLE!
It's a hacked version, even though it's appreciated (not very much actually), but it's still wrong.

The guy actually stole UltraHLE and made SupraHLE.
And UltraHLE was discontinued.

And I think the authors wouldn't be too happy if someone stole their code and began to make an emulator exacly like project64. And I don't think you'd like that if someone did that to you.

OP
Johnny_Rico

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
So what will it help them if thay keep almost everything to themselves?
If credit they want so thay will surely be remembered!
(Like we remember Epsilon and RealityMan)

If they are planning a comeback so it's understood...

But with no reson...
It's not a perfect emulator or something...

Doomulation

Hehe... once again, you get it all wrong.
They don't want u to steal their emulator, but they released the source to help other emulators.

And, since pj got so far, I think it will be remembered.
The source is for help other emulators. Not to copy it and compile pj!

Code11

Here is an idea. You compile a library that has a function or two that is vital to pj64, and keep that source sealed. Then you release the rest of the source open, with that file. The library could be programed to start up with a message like "This Emulator Uses the Source From PJ64" and so on. This will allow programers to further develop the emulator (in hopes of achieving 100% emulation) and fix any bugs that are there right now, while still giving credit where credit is deserved. It is just my beliefe that if you are creating a freeware program, such as pj64, then you shouldn'd be gready with the source. I mean, you've done all that you wanted to, why not let someone else continue the legacy?

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
I look into my magic crystal ball and see that the future holds the followng for Project64 :

Project64 will be continued by someone else who this is is not clear but it could be anyone.Furthermore PJ64 will be able to play almost all game without bugs except for Mario 64 (only kidding :) )

But this is just me using my :alien: skills which are a little rusty.

yogaman

Banned
Doomulation said:

Don't you get it? SupraHLE merly STOLE the code from UltraHLE!
It's a hacked version, even though it's appreciated (not very much actually), but it's still wrong.

hmpf :pissed: Dominator won't like the way u express that!!

DakkonB

I know this started as a project for school but...

I dont see why anyone involved would anything one way or another about as long as they got mention, the point was to make an emulator that works , why on earth does eveyone want us to keep reinventing the wheel? I will make an emulator based on the code in PJ64, I wouldnt mind hearing from the last team on how they would like that handled, (ie. the name, credits, so on..)
:pj64: Forever

I think keeping the name would do them great credit for their work too

DakkonB

o yeah I almost forgot

Quote from the release notes of PJ64 1.4
"Since this is the last version some of the source is now available for others to continue the project if they desire, or just to help the existing emulators."
K, so anyone who want to help plz come meet me in the Irc chan

:pj64: FOREVER

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Doomulation said:

And I think the authors wouldn't be too happy if someone stole their code and began to make an emulator exacly like project64. And I don't think you'd like that if someone did that to you.

er....thats not why uhle was stopped. it was originally stopped for legal reasons, nintendo got on to them well quickly. then when development started, epilison quit and reality man taunted everyone with screenis of uhle 1.5 . but thaqt was just a lie.

superhle, hydrahle and wateva else cam afterwards.

u obviously dont know wat u r talking about dominator. ppl accuse the company of cheating, or not actually implementing anything new (as hacks arent the most effective way of increasing core compatibility). it wasnt the company's fault why uhle was stopped.

Doomulation

Re: o yeah I almost forgot

DakkonB said:
Quote from the release notes of PJ64 1.4
"Since this is the last version some of the source is now available for others to continue the project if they desire, or just to help the existing emulators."
K, so anyone who want to help plz come meet me in the Irc chan

:pj64: FOREVER
I'd be really instrested in making an emulator.
Hmmm... let's see, I think I'll come.

Doomulation

Oh yeah, sk8, you're not getting my point.
SupraHLE hacked the code of uHLE. It was not meant to be continued by others, or well, at least the authors didn't release the source.

And I know, it was Nintendo that forced them to stop. And the other emulators merly STOLE the code, although, it wasn't supposed for them to have.

DarkLink

They didnt't really steal it, because the name is almost the same : SupraHLE - UltraHLE.

They let the name almost the same to show people that they took Uhle's source to make a hacked version. They just tried to improve it. Don't call it 'steal'.

And for the PJ64 case, if someone continues the emulator, but doesn't change the name, then that's not stealing.
BUT, If they change the name of the emu, that's not good:hrm:
ALSO : They must keep the actual authors names in 'About', not only put THEIR names.

Enough said, see ya later!

Dominator

Doomulation said:
Oh yeah, sk8, you're not getting my point.
SupraHLE hacked the code of uHLE. It was not meant to be continued by others, or well, at least the authors didn't release the source.

And I know, it was Nintendo that forced them to stop. And the other emulators merly STOLE the code, although, it wasn't supposed for them to have.

I think the guy means ..
"Steal : To take (the property of another) without right or permission."

1) None of the credits have been removed
2) One of the authors has granted The Company the right to try improving the emulator without really believing that we'd manage anything without the source code. The property has not been transferred.

So, Doomulation, in my opinion you are :
"A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers"
Read ... an idiot.

Period

gokuss4

Meh...
ok dominator calm down. your suprahle is a great emulator, who knows you might make it support voodoo3 pefectly soon, and why would jabo and zilmar release the pj64's core if they didn't want people to make changes to it huh? doomulation?

yogaman

Banned
I think it's stupid to blame someone because he/she tries to improve an existing emulator!! It's not just because of giving credits and all but that another guy picks up the work of somebody who just 1) gave up 2) doesn't have any time ....now, if somebody doesn't want his program to be continued, then it's another thing. But RM agreed...... so let's stop bashing the people who do the hard work for us

Doomulation

Ummm...yeah, I really don't think I get my own point.
Sorry, dominator, if I did upset you.
I drop it. And I do agre with you, the credits are still there, they've been given approval.... no, I won't complain. :D

And for pj, let's hope someone continues the great emulator.