What's new

Project 64's Legacy!

mmcoder

Here's the facts; 1) The public has been given permission to continue project64 or implement its source code in other projects. 2) Everyone please stop talking about UltraHLE "source" - there is no public UltraHLE source. That's an old old myth. Everything done with it have been unauthorized binary hacks. 3) That being said, Realityman is aware of this and hasn't done anything I know of to try to stop it, in fact I seem to remember an emupound interview in which he basically wished them luck because they would need it, so who cares anyway. In a nutshell, there's no stealing going on. If we made a Nemu binary hack and the authors either gave no approval or permission, that would be stealing.

flow``

flow``
Doomlation... please know what in the **** you are talking about before you open your mouth..

Dominator has always given epilson and RM full credit for the emu and has explained time and time again that suprahle is a binary hacked uhle with modifications.

As far you you (doomlation) trying to continue anything with pj64 source.. i laugh

the pj64 source is extremely complex no matter how clean and organized the source is. zilmar and jabo had certain tactics and strategies of how they planned to emulate the n64. they each had their own way of doing things, which proved to be very successful. they have been around the scene for an extremely long ammount of time and IMO, know the ins and out of the n64 and emulating it. to just say "sure i'll help" without knowing **** is about the funniest thing i've ever heard..

in the end, you could improve the core as much as you want and make it run full speed on my old p1 100 but the fact remains, if you can't improve the graphics, your stuck. that's why i wish jabo would've released his gfx source so that some end-users might be able to have the chance to take a shot at fixing things but i respect jabo's decision to keep it closed souce. i don't find him greedy or not caring for that decision but see how he just doesn't want to give away his accomplishments with the video plugin that he has worked extremely long and hard on.

crhylove

Banned
i agree. pj 1.4 is a great emu, and a new milestone in n64 (and ALL other chip/console) emulation. Mucho congrats to jabo, zilmar, smiff, etc..

However...:devil:

*i* think that perhaps the most important part of pj 1.4 is the plugins, and THEY aren't open source, which would be the biggest benefit to the community. There are other emu's that have good core compatibility that is improving all the time. 1964 comes to mind specifically, but there are others, and they ALL have very valid specs that merit serious attention, and kudos to respective authors. None of them however seem to have a gfx plugin that rivals jabo. i think that jabo's focus on 3d fps made it go so far, but maybe looking into 2d stuff like dr mario or others would've helped over all compatibilty, even in the fps games (perfect dark, golden eye, etc.). if pj 64 *is* truly dead (hopefully this is an exageration again), then nobody being able to explore these channels (with the current jabo source) will be the biggest loss to the over all community most likely.

still this is all up to jabo/zilmar's whims, and is totally right for them to decide whatever they please. gift horse and all.

anyways, super congrats guys! you set us up "the bomb".

all my base...

rhy
:devil:

here's MY free labors that all of you can enjoy:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/194/communizt_vagina.html

happy 2002!

2fast4u

yep, but...

..I agree that the plug-ins are the most important part of the whole emu. You can see almost all other emulator coders recommending to use Jabo's plug-ins for their emus. I only think about 1964...

However I can't understand why - considering that - the plug-in code wasn't released. ???
Surely Jabo has a good reason for that... but I can't see it...

2fast4u

mmcoder

I also wish jabo's plugin were either open source or would still be continued by someone. It's definitely the most important bit now that 1964 has come so far. Maybe he could pass it on to schibo, how cool would that be? Please? Heh. Another thing though, it might be possible to fiddle around with an older copy of Daedalus and get the graphics plugin-ized (this has supposedly happened already, right? Yet I don't think I found the gfx source anywhere)

yogaman

Banned
hmm....u could actually speculate why jabo didn't release the source of his plugin....1) he is really proud achieving gfx no other plugin can provide 1.1) doesn't want other stealing his hard work achievement 1.2) thinks of privatly working on it....and maby release a far greater plugin (holds that option open) 2) wants to play *RM* 3) ----hmmm----- he doesn't think we deserve the right to......

okay, whatever- above are only speculations....and nobody but jabo can decide whether to go open source or not :D

cheers

2fast4u

i doubt that he's gonna work on it privately. if he wanted to continue working on it, :pj64: would be still alive i guess...

maybe the question is not if jabo's plug-in will live on but what alternates there are to follow up. there are other very good plug-ins out, no doubt in that...

(space free for ur thoughts)

2fast4u

mmcoder

2fast4u said:
i doubt that he's gonna work on it privately. if he wanted to continue working on it, :pj64: would be still alive i guess...

maybe the question is not if jabo's plug-in will live on but what alternates there are to follow up. there are other very good plug-ins out, no doubt in that...

(space free for ur thoughts)

2fast4u

When and if StrmnNrmn comes out of hiding, we'll have a pretty decent plugin being worked on. It works with both Zelda games, tony hawk, etc.etc. so it's pretty advanced really. I'm just starting to wonder if it's gonna be a Corn situation here

2fast4u

mmcoder said:

When and if StrmnNrmn comes out of hiding, we'll have a pretty decent plugin being worked on. It works with both Zelda games, tony hawk, etc.etc. so it's pretty advanced really. I'm just starting to wonder if it's gonna be a Corn situation here

hmm...did i miss something or what? i wasn't in the forum for a hell lot of time, though. who is StrmnNrmn?? where did u read about this?

what? where? why? where am i??? ;)

mmcoder

2fast4u said:

hmm...did i miss something or what? i wasn't in the forum for a hell lot of time, though. who is StrmnNrmn?? where did u read about this?

what? where? why? where am i??? ;)

Don't worry it's pretty simple. StrmnNrmn is the author of Daedalus. Daedalus has pretty decent graphics, which were build into the emulator, without plugins. The newest version uses graphics plugins. The source came out, but no binary. But the graphics plugin source was absent for some reason. And StrmnNrmn is busy with "real life" (doncha hate that?) The point is, if and when he gets back to work, we'll have a new version of Daedalus with a Daedalus graphics plugin. Unless I misunderstood something somewhere down the line.

Some other possibilities is that 1964 gets to work on their plugin, or a new TR64 comes out with new plugins.

In other words, I don't think things are as bleek as they seem, it's just that everyone seems to be busy doing other things right now

2fast4u

puh, that was close.
i didn't care too much about daedalus (i was so satisfied with pj64 that i lost interest in any other emu :) besides 1964) so no wonder i didn't know that.

thx for clearing that. i'm off to download daedalus!

2fast4u

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
1964's graphics plugin needs a LOT of work but I hope they do continue it - Nemus has had many author problems - And Sttrrnnnmmm has temporarily disappeared. TR64's plugin is quite strong it just depends how much work they do on it. I just hope in a few weeks Zilmar & Jabo realise how much everyone misses them and comes back to start work on Banjo-Tooie

%I Can Dream Can't I%

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, 1964 haven't forgotten about their plugin. They said that they won't be working on it for a while. That's all.

And y'know, Neum 0.8 supports, if we ever will wait that long for the release, and 1964 ALMOST does. Did u know that? Well, of course u did, since it's written in the GUI.

The only thing they have to do is to make this "unknown controller command" known. Then it can be emulated. But slow, though. But when it's working, I guess the authors will start to work on it :)

yogaman

Banned
2fast4u said:

Well...I think if the main coder quits...and only the plugin developer remains, it's kinda hard to continue (isn't it?)...
Even if Jabo would continue PJ64 would be "dead" with Zilmar gone :(

(It's like RM continuing when epsilon is gone = plain pointless)

Last edited:

DK64

lets stop the flaming of dom and supra mmmkay... afaik RM told Dom he didnt mind what he was doing..

i dout that pj64 will be continued as such, perhaps there will be minor updates to allow updated spec and (maybe a few more features. some of u will argue that mame is still going strong, but pj64 is alot more complicated, most ppl will look at the code and have absolutely no idea what it means, those that do will have difficulty improving it...

pj64 will remain a somewhat legend, like uHLE, but i doubt it will be continued in the future..

2fast4u

well of course there will be various authors doing somewhat improvements with the core (applying the released source code). this may help for the compatibility of some games, but that should be all.

mmcoder

2fast4u said:
well of course there will be various authors doing somewhat improvements with the core (applying the released source code). this may help for the compatibility of some games, but that should be all.

I took a look at the source code and it's basically a lot like the 1964 source code, that is to say that it's freaking complicated beyond belief :) Only an incredibly experienced N64 coder is going to do anything with it, IMO. Azimer, schibo, or someone of that caliber. I did get a big CPU usage improvement by recompiling the RSP.dll with a .NET beta compiler though, but I can't give that out. I think someone else should verify that and see about making a recompiled release sometime though.

flow``

flow``
Doomulation said:

And y'know, Neum 0.8 supports, if we ever will wait that long for the release, and 1964 ALMOST does. Did u know that? Well, of course u did, since it's written in the GUI.

doom.. please tell me this
if Jabo's plugin doesnt run banjoe tooie in pj64

how in the hell do you expect it to "somewhat" work in 1964?

1964 and apollo can only be as compatible as pj64 due to the restrictions of them both using the same video plugin (unless azimer and schibo/rice get cookin on their video)