What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Problem with transparency

jailhousews

I have just starting practicing/experimenting with making my own hires textures and have already run into a problem.

On Mario 64 I made a texture to replace the stained-glass window with Princess Peach on it, at the very start of the game. However, when I use the new texture, the outside that should be transparent is white. I double-checked that I had indeed saved it as .png with alpha channel, it is transparent when viewed outside of the game.

This was using Glide64 1.22 Napalm release plugin. Rice's plugin works with texture packs I downloaded, but not when I make my own textures for some reason. What am I doing wrong?

Oh and I'm using project 64 v1.6

mode7

Could you post the complete filename of the texture please
Is this an png_all texture from the png_all folder? (would be correct)
Or ist is a RGB texture with rgb in the filename? (would be wrong)

OP
J

jailhousews

It is a png_all texture. File name: SUPER MARIO 64#0D09F13E#0#2_all.png

I found a way to fix it already though. It only has this problem with the transparency when the option "Save texture cache to harddisk" is checked. Why would that be?

Anyway, unchecking it fixes the problem. Also, using ricevideo plugin fixes it. I don't know why ricevideo plugin wasn't loading my own textures before.

KoolSmoky

It is a png_all texture. File name: SUPER MARIO 64#0D09F13E#0#2_all.png

I found a way to fix it already though. It only has this problem with the transparency when the option "Save texture cache to harddisk" is checked. Why would that be?

Anyway, unchecking it fixes the problem. Also, using ricevideo plugin fixes it. I don't know why ricevideo plugin wasn't loading my own textures before.

With Glide64, you need to manually remove the texture cache from the harddisk before loading new textures. The whole point of saving the cache to the harddisk is to load the cache which is way faster than going though all the textures.

There is however an easier way; tick "Texture dumping/editing mode" and use hotkey "R" to reload the new textures. This feature allows you to explicitly swap textures while the emulator is running.

-KoolSmoky