What's new

....Perfection?

OP
AzNStYleZ

AzNStYleZ

RPG Crack Addict
i think he meant by resembling perfect games dont have BIG CRACKLY POPPY Sounds..well i dont anyway

scotty

The Great One
the next version is always better. Schibo knows his final version is going to be good, I can tell by that last message. Whenever it comes out, we will never know.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
No crackly sound in the next 1964 eh? sounds good to me.

:1964:

as for the nothing is impossible thing, I guess thats true but perfection in this case is very very difficult :p

Flash

Technomage
Clements said:
Lots of people complain of crackly sound, which I have never experienced.
/quote]

And it's strange, but it's good for you

You need a fast processor (1.2GHz+) and a modern sound card.

.... And you don't have ( full hardware) sound card, because Avance AC'97 is only a codec, half of sound card (better to say "a small part of...") Only thing it does is converting digital signal to analog and vice versa. But it can't
do signal processing, it requires DSP - digital signal processor and 3D sound (DS3D,A3D,EAX, especially EAX2 and A3D 2-3) requires very powerful signal processor. Vortex2 and SB Live-Audigy (EMU10Kx) DSPs can be compared to Pentium-200.

So when mb manual says "Onboard AC'97 audio, supports DS3D, A3D 1.0, EAX 1.0 blah blah" - it's most outrageous lie, because your granny's SB16 can support 3D sound that way - by software emulation.

In case of cheap onboard AC'97 "sound cards" DSP is emulated by main CPU.
So when very "cpu-hungry" program is running (N64,PSX emulators, MAME, Unreal 2 and rest of modern games) there's no CPU resources left, CPU is loaded up to 98% by game (emulator), so these cracks, ñhirps and other noise
appears.

Solution - to buy hardware sound card
Even cheapest CMI8738 is waay better in all aspects (sound quality, CPU load )
than sole AC'97 codec.

And N64 emulation doesn't have any special sound card requirements :
any card that support DirectSound will work. Old ISA AWE64 or newest Philips Audiophile - all will work ok.

I think it's a bit too early to be looking for perfection considering the relative difficulty and the relatively brief time that emulating the N64 has been viable.

Yep. Some games is still not emulated and audio plugins must polished a bit.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Hey Flash, can you tell me about my sound card, the ESS Maestro? I'm asking 'cause it's a laptop sound card and non-upgradable, I want to know what i've got...

Flash

Technomage
nephalim said:
Hey Flash, can you tell me about my sound card, the ESS Maestro? I'm asking 'cause it's a laptop sound card and non-upgradable, I want to know what i've got...

What ESS Maestro do you have ?
ESS Maestro-1, ESS Maestro-2 or ESS Maestro-3 ?

All of them have SB emulation support,
DS3D acceleration, Sensaura 3D sound support and EAX1 support (don't sure about A3D 1.0)

It's hardware card, not only codec.
So not bad for laptop card

OP
AzNStYleZ

AzNStYleZ

RPG Crack Addict
mightyrocket said:
Until the next release you can try Nemu. It has got very good sound-quality too.

Yeah, i know but ive had a problem w/ nemu when i try to open it says failure to initialize plugins ???? well, ill revert to the other forum for that :D

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Flash said:
What ESS Maestro do you have ?
ESS Maestro-1, ESS Maestro-2 or ESS Maestro-3 ?

All of them have SB emulation support,
DS3D acceleration, Sensaura 3D sound support and EAX1 support (don't sure about A3D 1.0)

It's hardware card, not only codec.
So not bad for laptop card

It's an ESS Maestro 3i (listed as ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM) in the device manager.)

I bought a top-of-the-line laptop, so even though I got the crappy video at least I have good sound. I am wondering because I never had these "crackling popping" problems everyone mentions...just choppy audio if it gets slow. Raising the buffer fixes nearly all sound problems.

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
If we're going to get silly about "perfection", you should note that even Mario 64 isn't perfect. The graphical "morph" effect the game uses (e.g. the Princess Toadstool picture becoming Bowser in the first boss corridor) is not supported in any emulator or plugin.

SNES emulation is about as far as it's going to get. Apart from some unemulated special chips (they have no documentation on the DSPs, and the DSP-1 is partial enough so Mario Kart and Pilotwings works), there are some timing issues in some lesser known games. Problem is, if they make fixes for those, it could easily break other games.

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
the emulation of good sound.

i am have a very good emulation for many games. only of the video for dr. mario is not the best in any plugin/emu. this is sad for to play with a party and four controllers, dr. mario is a best game at this. but mario cart and others are the very fun. only of having a really huge monitor is what i'm missing the most.

OP
AzNStYleZ

AzNStYleZ

RPG Crack Addict
EddyB43 said:
If we're going to get silly about "perfection", you should note that even Mario 64 isn't perfect. The graphical "morph" effect the game uses (e.g. the Princess Toadstool picture becoming Bowser in the first boss corridor) is not supported in any emulator or plugin.

SNES emulation is about as far as it's going to get. Apart from some unemulated special chips (they have no documentation on the DSPs, and the DSP-1 is partial enough so Mario Kart and Pilotwings works), there are some timing issues in some lesser known games. Problem is, if they make fixes for those, it could easily break other games.

Yes, but SNES emulation is closer to perfection then any other emulation other than GB and handheld emulation, because it supports ALMOST every game u just have to look at it the right way

petronius79

AzNStYleZ said:
Yes, but SNES emulation is closer to perfection then any other emulation other than GB and handheld emulation, because it supports ALMOST every game u just have to look at it the right way

no matter how perfect the emulation is, even if it is a direct port to PC, nothing compares to the analogue composite TV signal of the old consoles and the tv sound or the arcade.

even when I play my favourite games through emulation I feel that something is missing, even in the perfect neo geo games.

I only wonder how I managed to tolerate the tiny screen of the Game Boy for so many years when I was a kid. I tried recently to play a game on the Gameboy after so many years and my eyes squinted.

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
I think the difficulty with N64-emulation is the oddness of that console....that every game needs special preferences AFAIK...
And think about it...not even the NES is perfectly emulated... ;)

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Well that's because the NES has a nasty setup with it's mappers. How many did you need Nintendo? :blink: