What's new

Perfect Dark slowdowns

Triz

i'd have to agree with sytaylor here...

Project64 only emulates what the n64 emulates i mean when i say that my system runs perfect dark 'perfectly' is that it runs it the way the n64 runs it but smoother in most cases, when there is slow down in a part of the 64 version there is slow down on my pc the vi/s stay at a constant 50 (with the pal version) with these slow downs 'in perfect dark' and the sound doesn't skip or anything, so the slow downs are just in perfect dark internally. if you want to blame someone blame rare! :D j/k but seriously they aren't anything to fret about the only bad slow down is when its loading up the menu at the start after you load it other than that its poifect!

:pj64:

OP
Eliminator

Eliminator

The Eliminator
OK.....I tried out 1964 with Perfect Dark. I had a constant 60 fps. The speed is incredible. The only problem is the counter factor. For Goldeneye and Perfect Dark there is no proper counter factor that works good on my PC. The best one for me is CF=3, but movement is very jerky, although running at 60fps. We'll just have to wait for Nemu 0.8 to perfectly play this game.

jc34

Eliminator said:
OK.....I tried out 1964 with Perfect Dark. I had a constant 60 fps. The speed is incredible. The only problem is the counter factor. For Goldeneye and Perfect Dark there is no proper counter factor that works good on my PC. The best one for me is CF=3, but movement is very jerky, although running at 60fps. We'll just have to wait for Nemu 0.8 to perfectly play this game.

try setting the counter to 1x .5 default that seemed to work
on the system I was messing with it made things smoother and slowed it down enough that everybody in the game was not running around way to fast.

hope that helps

jc34

Eliminator said:
Actually CF=1 seems to work best! [/QUOTE

does it play good?
on my dads system it runs smooth without any pauses

and with azimer' audio v0.30 plugin the sound is pretty good too
I noticed that sometimes th speech sounds funny but nothing you can not live with.

I also noticed that the settings in the audio plugin have alot to do with how fast the game plays.
the only 2 options I have checked off are:

Enable Audio Fix
Sync gameplay to audio

with the audio plugin setup this way the game runs smooth and fast

if you check off

use v0.21 style audio

or uncheck
enable audio fix
it starts to get jerky somewhat

also check off under the CPU menu
Audio Sync
this seems to give nice clean sound

i also tried
GoldenEye with this setup
and it ran pretty smooth also
only alittle bit of the jerkies once and awhile but so far the best I have seen the game play.

this is just some things to try if you have not done so yet it is so far the best way I have found to get Perfect Dark running fast and smooth.

hope it helps
later's

Last edited:

RJA

The PC Wiz
Well, Triz and Eliminator, despite that it may not with your systems, it works for me

"Advanced Block Linking" -on (game is very slow and jerky with stuttering audio without this on!)

"Larger Compile Buffer" -on (prevents those nasty pauses!)

CF -3 (makes the game smoother);)

Triz

RJA i have the exact same settings as you just posted

seems i must have tinkered around with CFB when i first used :pj64:

:D

OP
Eliminator

Eliminator

The Eliminator
Ya CF=1 runs very smooth without any pauses. CF=3 is very jerky for me. Same for GoldenEye.

OP
Eliminator

Eliminator

The Eliminator
Can someone post how Perfect Dark is running for them in Project64 with all the different counter factors?

jc34

Eliminator said:
Can someone post how Perfect Dark is running for them in Project64 with all the different counter factors?

last night I tried PJ64 again but set the the CF to CF=3 that seems to have helped alot as it is smooth with pj64 now slower than with the way I have it setup in 1964 but it is most playable now in PJ64.

The only thing I noticed is that in PJ64 I don't get any ingame music.but I get the use of the rumble effects from my rumblepad with Nrages plugin.

In1964 I get ingame music sounds great but the rumble effects do not work with Nrages plugin or any other plugin,so I am not sure what is going on with that.

I will play somemore with PJ64 and see if I can get the music to work...maybe its just my system setup who knows.

Laters

OP
Eliminator

Eliminator

The Eliminator
Music works fine for me in PJ64 but the rumble is sometimes inacurate like for example it rumbles when it shouldn't.

Rice

Emulator Developer
but the rumble effects do not work with Nrages plugin or any other plugin,so I am not sure what is going on with that.

A bug in 1964 0.7.1. It has been fixed, will be in next release.

Adaman

How do you change CF? Do i need some kind of plugin? Its running really slow for me...

Last edited:
OP
Eliminator

Eliminator

The Eliminator
For Project64 you highlight a rom then go to options, settings then rom settings and near the bottom you'll the Counter Factor setting. For 1964 you right click a rom and then you can change the counter factor in the settings.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh, pd works best on CF 1 on 1964. which is just about good enuff (50 -60 vi/s), but no jerkiness as on the other CFs. i can get away with cf2, working not too bad, but anything above is way too jerky.

the CF on pj64 didnt work too good for me.

Adaman

on pj64, it wont let me change the rom settings, on 1964, it will let me change the cf to 1, but when i try to start up PD, it says "unkown microcode"