What's new

NRage Input Plugin V2.00 BETA (an overhaul)

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Majihal, you should download the newest version. That logfile is from an older release. Squall, yours was OK.

I dunno what's going on. I haven't changed the GBCart code since the end of August. Play your cart in the GB emulator to make sure the savegames/ROM haven't gotten corrupted. Yeah, it's probably not the problem. Better safe than sorry.

One more bug to the pile. MBC3 support broke itself, and no idea when. Yippee.

Need a few days to mess around with this, and I need to get out of the office. Can't concentrate with people screaming at each other.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
just revert it to the gcart just after you fixed MBC5

everything was working then, im pretty sure anyway.

btw, Blue and Gold saves are fine, i didnt bother checking the rest, as they are likely fine as well.

Last edited:
OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
just revert it to the gcart just after you fixed MBC5

everything was working then, im pretty sure anyway.

btw, Blue and Gold saves are fine, i didnt bother checking the rest, as they are likely fine as well.

Alright, I've reverted ALL the changes on the MBC3 read/write funcs, except for the CopyMemory replacement calls (which are the same in MBC5). If that doesn't work, as a last resort I'll completely revert the GBCart.cpp and GBCart.h (before the MBC5 fix), then reapply the fixes one by one. But I really really don't want to do that.

That's it, as soon as my server comes back online I'm installing subversion so I can hack around without permanently breaking things.

Majihal

Yeah first try with pokemon crystal (pad 2) and pokemon yellow (pad 3) success ^^ I'll try the others now if I have the time :)

I have tested the blue and gold versions and it seems to work perfectly (I say seems because I've just seen that it works on the main screen). I'll try to really play with it later and I'll tell you if something is wrong.
You've done a really good job :)

Edit : Oops sorry I forgot the edit button

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Well, that's a relief. Now that it's working, can you send me a debug file with one of the carts? Just trying to see which one of the fixes fixed it.

squall_leonhart

Majihal, just remember that pokemon tower will not work no matter what Rabiddeity changes :p

you can only load and arrange your pokemon.

i would still like to know what you could've changed that broke it :|

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
As I thought. Most GB carts have a register you have to write to in order to enable the RAM for reading and writing. It's designed to protect the onboard battery backup in case you quickly flick the power on and off on your gameboy (remember the warnings that told you not to do that on your NES?) So I added that toggle to the MBC3 code to try and get the emulation perfect; in theory, an N64 rom could use that as a form of verifying whether you have a real ROM inserted or a backup ROM with special RAM pak. But it seems that Pokemon Stadium expects the RAM to be writeable right off the bat. Maybe one of the Transfer Pak init routines does it automatically, I dunno. In any case, I've removed it from the MBC3 code, but I need you guys to heavily test MBC5 carts as well, and an MBC1 cart if you can get ahold of a game that uses it.

squall_leonhart

hmm... i have pokemon green...... its partially translated to english... *wonders if it'll still work.. hmm...*

test 1
Code:
Didn't get FF device 3
RomOpen
 Cartridge Type #:03
*** Init Transfer Pak - FAILURE***
TPak Write:
  Address: 8000
Cart Disable
TPak Read:
Query Enable State: 0
TPak Write:
Cart Enable
TPak Read:
Query Enable State: 1
TPak Read:
Query Enable State: 1
TPak Read:
  Address: B000
Query Cart. State: Not Inserted
RomClosed
*** Close Transfer Pak ***
*** DLL Detach
---DEBUG FILE CLOSED---

...doesn't look like Pokemon stadium supports the mbc1 rom

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Same problem as before, the RAM isn't active on that cart. Something must be wrong with the docs, or the TPak is activating the RAM without saying anything... fixed it, so try it again. If you notice lines that say "Failed RAM read" in the debug file, it probably means there's a problem with the plugin.

Fixed. Latest should fix the MBC1 problem. I never got around to adding that check to MBC5 which is why it still worked. I'm just gonna pull that check out of there, it worked fine before I meddled and added it.

squall_leonhart

still notw orking for the US cart of pokestadi2

oh well.. i'll check te jap one later

BTW! GUYS i have just discovered whats going on with the rumble pak.

i loaded up Snowboard kids and was able to reproduce the not detecting rumble stick bug.

THE PROBLEM
you are not allowing for the device to reset itself.

after pressing the button to switch to the rumble pak you need to wait for the rumble pak to be re-accessed.

take alook at this dump.

On the first time trying to detect the rumble pak it will respond with a not connected message.

however on the second time it connects fine.

so for some reason the pak seems to not update fast enough?

ok nvm the bug reports.

Rabid!, the rumblepak not being detected is becoz of the shortcut switches, for some reason its not properly switching the paks at first.

if i change to rumble pak via the config screen, it changes everytime.

btw, the Test button works perfectly everytime for me.

guys, hook me up with any games you want me to test for this bug.

Here's new log. Did the same old thing, started F-zero and then open controller pak tab and then bye bye rumble.

im not sure why this would be.. unless the plugin is saving its setting when opened :|

F-Zero appears to create the rumble connection when the game starts

Last edited:

Majihal

I tried pkmn green (which has a MBC1 savetype hasn't it ?), with pocket monster stadium and pokemon monster 2, all japanese versions (the first pocket monster stadium is only in japan, the "first" pokemon stadium in US and Euro is the pocket monster 2 in japan), and the cartridge is recognized but not the save, so it seems that MBC1 is not supported by the TPak yet. Sorry I erased the log :unsure: (I hope you'll understand me xD).

And the "Test Rumble" button works perfectly for me now ^^

Legend

still notw orking for the US cart of pokestadi2

oh well.. i'll check te jap one later

BTW! GUYS i have just discovered whats going on with the rumble pak.

i loaded up Snowboard kids and was able to reproduce the not detecting rumble stick bug.

THE PROBLEM
you are not allowing for the device to reset itself.

after pressing the button to switch to the rumble pak you need to wait for the rumble pak to be re-accessed.

take alook at this dump.

On the first time trying to detect the rumble pak it will respond with a not connected message.

however on the second time it connects fine.

so for some reason the pak seems to not update fast enough?

ok nvm the bug reports.

Rabid!, the rumblepak not being detected is becoz of the shortcut switches, for some reason its not properly switching the paks at first.

if i change to rumble pak via the config screen, it changes everytime.

btw, the Test button works perfectly everytime for me.

guys, hook me up with any games you want me to test for this bug.

im not sure why this would be.. unless the plugin is saving its setting when opened :|

F-Zero appears to create the rumble connection when the game starts

Are you saying I'm wrong about everything I've been saying? Not sure if you read any of my posts that I spent hours working on about this issue but almost everything you said in this statement here is the opposite of what's going on-using shortcuts does nothing bad. I can shortcut between paks perfectly a thousand times and no problem. There's nothing wrong with the shortcuts. It's actually going INTO the config screen to the CONTROLLER PAK tab that kills the rumble pak from working again.

If you don't believe me, as I have already said, go into F-zero with 1.83, go to config screen to the controller pak tab and then back out. Still rumble. Now switch paks around and pause, restart level, the game will reinitializes paks at that point, and you have rumble again. That's how it should work.

But now try to go in game with 2.00, go to config to the controller pak tab and then back out, rumble gone forever. Even with a level restart, which is when the game reinitializes the pak, still no rumble. IT'S THE CONTROLLER PAK TAB IN THE CONFIG SCREEN!!!!! Sorry, this just makes me upset because you saying everything I said is inaccurate and I worked really hard to get to the REAL bottom of all this!!!

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

ok, so its not restarting the plugin properly.

but it could be related to the problem i had with using shortcuts in snowboard kids...

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
It's not re-initting the DInput device properly. I know the problem, I just don't know exactly where it is. Still looking.

squall_leonhart

well, the problem occured with me in snowboard kids when switching to rumble pak via the shortcut buttons.

but if i had the game search for the rumble pak twice, it re-initt'ed the second time.

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
well, the problem occured with me in snowboard kids when switching to rumble pak via the shortcut buttons.

but if i had the game search for the rumble pak twice, it re-initt'ed the second time.

OK, I think we're talking about 2 different issues. Squall, do you have your emulator set up to pause while you're in the config screen?

OK, Legend, I'm unable to reproduce this issue on my hardware. I'm using Project 64 1.6, F-ZERO (U) [!], and a Logitech Rumblepad 2 with latest drivers. Bone stock setup except for the latest build-- emulator pauses while I'm in the config menu, and starts back up when I come back to the game. In other words, as far as the emulated game is concerned, the rumble pak has been plugged in the whole time.

I start up a race, fire up my engines, slam into a wall a couple times. OK, rumble works. Go to config menu, click on Controller Pak tab, click Cancel, and I'm back in the game. Slam into a wall a couple more times, and rumble still works OK.

If you're using a PS2 adapter and that driver, my best guess is that the driver doesn't like having one program create multiple copies of the device interface. If that's true, it's a bad driver. Better hope it's open-source or you can contact the author.

Before, there was no test rumble feature; 1.83 just had an array of 4 FF devices. 2.00 has that same array, plus one extra device within the config interface for testing rumble. If the test rumble device is the same as one of the other 4 FF devices (which always happens when you navigate to the rumble pak config) then we have 2 interfaces to one device. Normally this isn't a problem, but maybe your driver writer assumed nobody would ever do something like this.

I've worked in a quick fix, if this is indeed the problem. Now the config dialog won't try to init a device until you press "Test Rumble". However, if you try to "Test Rumble", it has to create that second interface in order to try to rumble. Try the latest DEBUG version and see what happens, and please don't click "Test Rumble" for now! :p