What's new

New feature maybe for N64 emulators?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
And note this idea comes from a non-programmer

What would be the possibility of loading plugins and thier settings based on the game being selected?

For me it's no hassle to switch plugins and settings back and forth, but for my son this has always been an issue. He's six and can move around the menus fine for selecting his game he wants to play, but changing alot of settings or which plugin is used in which game is too much for him. Now my younger boy wants some N64 stuff on his system also. Looking through ROM notes I am seeing many games say "use Jabo's D3D 1.4" or "Rice's plugin". Instead of having to switch manually this is what I was thinking.

Considering most ROMs are known due to the CRC of the file, how hard would it be to a small extra config file to do this automagically? Say I go load Banjo-Tooie or whatever and it's know that one plugin has bad gfx or sound issues with this game, but then I go load Banjo-Kazooie which works better with that same set of plugins that have issues with the other game. If you get what I'm saying here?

Of course default settings would be provided with each emulator and can be changed manually by the user. I tend to see no difference in this compared to an EMU that has the CF factor set to 4 by default yet we may change it.

Anyway just a thought, but seems feasible in my mind and sounds like a nice idea. It would also hopefully help in the process of slowing down all the redundant questions I see asked here over and over.

Any thoughts or should I just shaddup? :)

doggi

Banned
thats a good idea.. :) .. have the same problem with certain games not liking certain plugins.. :satisfied

doggi

Banned
i just mucking around and i might have a little program that could customize for games.. anyone provide info would be good.. like if the plugin settings are stored via registry or internally?:)

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
STRANGE!!

I can see there are now 4 posts in this thread including this one, but I can't see posts 2 and 3?!?!!?

Something still amiss with the board? or something odd in my settings? All the other threads appear to be ok.

I remeberde Doggi has replied (Doggi is the re-registered version of Doggie), but his posts are invisible. I think this is the answer.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Why was he banned before?

I'd like to help test out the program he is making, but I'm not downloading anything from someone who has a bad rap.

BTW, I can see those posts now. Thanks Slougi

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hrm doggi, are you sure that little app of yours works? Pj gets its settings from the project64.rdb file. All the known games are already in there, so adding a small line like "Plugin=Rice" or something with support for it (new build) would be everything you'd need to do.

Although the only source that's available for the emulator is the 1.4 source; not the 1.5 (and probably won't be).

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Unless you want to try modifiying the reg entries,

At HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\N64 Emulation\Project64 Version 1.5\Dll

/sugesstion (!)

doggi

Banned
actually its stored via registry.. as thats what my program is initally doing.. but after i get some best setups for certain games, no need to define each one

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Why don't you try for yourself? I'll give you a little hint, though: Glide64 works awfully good with most games except zelda oot and mm. If we had a better wrapper, it would be even better result.

And for yoshi's story, you'll have to switch between jabo's and rice's unofficial daedalus plugin (optional; both fixes and causes problems).

Dominator

Anyway just a thought, but seems feasible in my mind and sounds like a nice idea. It would also hopefully help in the process of slowing down all the redundant questions I see asked here over and over

This is surely much of a good idea, but I doubt that it'll happen anytime soon.
First of all, all emus do not provide the same results when using the same/rom plugins. Then, all emu/plugins/roms won't provide the same results depending on you computer configuration.
So, you'd have to define some "best default" setting that would take care of, atleast, the previous factors.

Even tho' you came across thiese points, you'd have to stay up to date with the plugins/emus evolution (new options, features and consequences for the emulation settings & effects).

zorbid

Why would you have to provide a default database?

Just let the users define what set of plugin they want with a given game, and record that in a ~ini file (call it whatever you want)