What's new

new daedalus gfx plugin released!

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ok strmn nrmn mentioned this on the 'daedalus on xbox' thread, but its now been updated on the daedalus home page, and im checking it out right as i type - plus i thought it deserved its own separate thread.

get it from daedalus.boob.co.uk

StrmnNrmn

Apparently I'm the only person in the world that can't access the site at the moment, but I'll put up a list of all the changes and a bit more info as soon as I can.

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
okay, gonna reply to my own message :innocent: im having a few probs, in daedalus, it doesnt seem to work, all the games hav screwed up gfx, and are super slow. in 1964, it seems to work, but theres this odd blurred effect which kinda dominates the image, although each game ive tested seemed very fast, and the gfx were pretty good, apart from this odd blurring effect. should their be gfx options or sumthing, cos when i clicked 'video options' 1964 just froze. oh and pj64 froze when i used the plugin ???

StrmnNrmn

Well, what I was going to post on the daedalus site was that it's not been tested/written for v0.07b - and I've not tested it with any other emus yet. I wanted to get the source out as soon as possible, but it seemed wrong to release it without a corresponding binary :)

When I was merging in some of the fixes I made to the Xbox version, I broke a couple of things (mostly to do with the detail texture) so there's some really odd texture bugs that crop up. There also appears to be a problem with one of the blender modes, but hopefully I can track this down tonight.

Any feedback would be very useful though - especially screenshots!

Trotterwatch

I have the same problems with the plugin, so I'll download Deadlus and see if it works well in that :) From what I have seen though this plugin works well (I checked Knockout Kings 2000, and the text was nearly visible - was just squashed up).

One problem with this new plugin for me (and I must stress this may be down to a registry setting somwhere) but when I use it in PJ64 - it always opens up two instances of itself - one with rom browser and one without. If I close one, the other closes down with it? Curiously this only seems to be happening with this plugin, and not any others.

Can anyone confirm if this happens to you or not? If it doesn't then I will clean up the registry via uninstalling PJ64 (all versions).

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Same thing happen on my config. Seems really strange, there's one instance that doesn't have the debugger menu and one that have it....

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ok, dunno why i choose waverace, but i did. this sorta blurry bug seems to appear in every game ive tried, but im guessing this is the thing that happened as a result of ur xbox conversion, anyhow here goes.

StrmnNrmn

Ooops - I'm such an idiot - I just realised that I left in some code that I was using to test an old problem that used to crop up with Voodoo cards. Basically all the textures are being scaled down to 16x16. New binary on its way!

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
okay, that would solve A LOT of problems, lol. hehe no wonder all the textures looked so fucked up. oh well :)

Trotterwatch

Excellent work StrmnNrmn, the text issues in Knockout Kings 2000 have now been completely alleviated (ie the menus). In game it looks good, with only a few problems to do with disappearing textures (this is tested with 1964).

Will get some screenshots now :)

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Majoras Mask has improved incredibly, although there are two error boxes that appear after loading, cant remember wat they said, but they didnt seem to affect the game at all.

Gamer123

Xbox Addict
I've tried running the plugin on both 1964 and PJ64, and I cant get either emu's to work with it.

1964: I get a bunch of mixed up colors and less than 10 vi's a second. I still get sound, but mixed up colors with gfx. (8.3c and 7.3)

PJ64: I get two instances of PJ64, both show a blank screen, and dont do anything.

Any ideas?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Paper Mario seems to be missing all of the sprites... I ran it on 1964 0.73, with a GF2...
I`ll post a screenie later...

zorbid

Something hot. :D (not so hot in fact, Rice's unofficial can do it too)
Super Mario (e)

---EDIT---
The screen looks bad, because it was heavilly jpg-ed, and I had to resize it to 1000 in height, then recompress it.
More should come. :)

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

To stop the double screen issue in PJ64 - you have to disable the Rom Browser. This will enable the plugin to work in PJ64 - though the stability and compatability still isn't 100%.

I also notice that the only Emu that lets you view the graphics plugin settings (but doesn't really let you change it properly) is Daedalus 8 (unofficial compile). It doesn't however run the games properly, the graphics are all messed up.

Still from what I have seen of this plugin, I have been very impressed with :) A lot of issues other plugins have, seem to be cleared up in this plugin. Can't wait to see what a fully optimised (for the emu) version is like, such as Rice's 1964 modded version.

Last edited:

ShadowPrince

I tested new plugin with 1964 v0.8.3
Two games that emulates very good,but have really weird problems with textures:
1.Mario Tennis - some things this plugin shows even better then
Jabo 1.4 .But there are alot of blacked out textures,and in some places for some reason the game slow down considerably .This happens only with that plugin.
Just wonder,generally what kind of bug cause black textures?
2.Super Smash Bros. - corrupted textures,slowdowns
Those two major bugs ,happens on very large amount of games,
so i think if STRMNNRMN manage to fix them,it will fix many other games.
Impressive so far,cant wait that CoolDaedalus and STRMNNRMN will merge their work into one plugin.