What's new

neo geo

stimulate_uk

can somebody explain to me how to run the games on this emulator? i change the directory but nothing happens, can anybody help?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What emulator? There are more than one Neo-Geo emulator out there, you know.

OP
S

stimulate_uk

neo geo rage x my friend, it when i start the exe i just dont know how to play games? it says that directory but the games aren't recognised when placed there, can somebody help me?

Last edited:

Allnatural

stimulate_uk said:
neo geo rage x
That's probably your problem. NeoRageX is old, and I don't think it supports current rom sets. MAME or Kawaks would be a better choice. Nebula too, but I don't think that's been updated in a while. In any case, make sure you also have a current bios set. None of the games will work without that.

Agozer

Yes, NeoRAGEx doesn't support most never sets. Pre-1999 sets should work as is since they don't really have any protection, but games made after that (Garou, Rage of the Dragons, Nightmare in the Dark, SvC Chaos, Samurai Shodown V+V Special, Metal Slug 3-5, Matrimelee, King of Fighters '99-2003, Pochi & Nyaa, Sengoku 3, etc.) need not only decrypted sets, but a "fixed" p1 rom to work on NeoRAGEx.

Needless to say, NRX is more of a curiosity and a museum piece than good Neo-Geo emulator by now. Sure, some people still use it (like myself) to test a few things, but Nebula, Kawaks or MAME is what you should be using.

Agozer

The original MAME is commanline-driven. It doesn't have a graphical user interface. It doesn't show anything unless you specify switches via the command prompt console.

If you want a GUI version, download MAME32, MAME32Plus!, or any other derivative MAME build that has a GUI.

Agozer

MAME32 is the Windows port which doesn't have a GUI. Just MAME refers to the DOS port. I apologize if I was unclear.

Allnatural

Agozer said:
MAME32 is the Windows port which doesn't have a GUI. Just MAME refers to the DOS port. I apologize if I was unclear.
No, you were right the first time. MAME32 is the GUI version (official site). The command-line version is just MAME; dos version is dMAME.

Agozer

Allnatural said:
No, you were right the first time. MAME32 is the GUI version (official site). The command-line version is just MAME; dos version is dMAME.
Ok, thanks. I'm even starting to doubt myself since there are so many different builds. -_-

Agozer

stimulate_uk said:
yeah i got it now, but how do i play my games when there is screenshots in the directory?
That's doesn't really make sense to me. Would you please elaborate?

OP
S

stimulate_uk

yeah, i have a couple of games downloaded. The question is how do i play them? they have been placed in the 'roms' folder, but still i cant seem to get them to be located in the main menu so there one click away to play.

Agozer

Make sure that the romset is zipped and the set is a MAME set. You also need the MAME Neo-Geo BIOS files, of course.

Agozer

stimulate_uk said:
i dont understand man.
There are two kinds of sets floating on the internet, non-MAME and MAME Neo-Geo sets (Non-MAME sets are meant for emulators like NeoRAGEx, kawaks and Nebula, although Nebula and Kawaks should work with MAME sets as well).

Second, you must never unip any of the set you download. Just leave them as is and throw them in the roms folder.

Clear enough for you?