What's new

NEMU RULEZ....(try to beat this emu!!)

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
hey smiff and others, I see this whole thing is going the wrong way!! It's true, that the title of the topic sounds outraging but keep in mind: I didn't want to start anykind of competition, it was more to draw attention to Nemu, (which in my opinion just ROCKS).......Smiff, u've got good company over there in the PJ forum, so it's not too criminel to get it here in the Nemu corner a bit crowded aswell :D !! Nemu has been suffering a lot from the PJ boom (I don't mean the authors, more the interest in the emu itself) ..... so if I show these grand pics of nemu......enjoy it! Keep the bloody critics for urself! :angry:

Josep

eyerun4phun
you gotta realize smiff that whats visually pleasing to everyone is what counts for public distributed emulators, If the authors just want to please themselves and say "look i made this and this work" then so be it. But i don't see any critical thinking that goes towards screen shot because they are purely based on the persons visual pleasure.

The Shadow

yogaman said:
hey smiff and others, I see this whole thing is going the wrong way!! It's true, that the title of the topic sounds outraging but keep in mind: I didn't want to start anykind of competition, it was more to draw attention to Nemu, (which in my opinion just ROCKS).......Smiff, u've got good company over there in the PJ forum, so it's not too criminel to get it here in the Nemu corner a bit crowded aswell :D !! Nemu has been suffering a lot from the PJ boom (I don't mean the authors, more the interest in the emu itself) ..... so if I show these grand pics of nemu......enjoy it! Keep the bloody critics for urself! :angry:
I agree, screenshots don't exactly require critical thinking. Although I can see your point, I still have to disagree. :devil:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
If you see a screenshot that looks shit, are you going to go "ooh, that looks great"... I would hope not (I'd hope you say nothing lol). My reaction to these PD Nemu shots was that PJ and Nemu both seem to be so good (so close) that the decision on which a gamer is going to use will rest on matters that cannot be conveyed in a screenshot, like stabillity, speed and features... it's not supposed to be a big deal. I'm talking to users here not the authors, they arent competing. But the user still has to make a decision, and I think it's interesting... deal with it :p

Gorxon

Administrator
Smiff said:
If you see a screenshot that looks shit, are you going to go "ooh, that looks great"... I would hope not (I'd hope you say nothing lol). My reaction to these PD Nemu shots was that PJ and Nemu both seem to be so good (so close) that the decision on which a gamer is going to use will rest on matters that cannot be conveyed in a screenshot, like stabillity, speed and features... it's not supposed to be a big deal. I'm talking to users here not the authors, they arent competing. But the user still has to make a decision, and I think it's interesting... deal with it :p

Yeah, but we don't have to choose one emu to use only you know....and...when you compare screenshots...you just can't compare a ss with anitaliaising and one without aa. That's just sick, since the one with AA will look much better, of course (but it will run much slower too). I'm sure Lemmy's plugin can look just as nice with all the tweakin you did on jabos... ???

Anyway, Nemu 0.8 (or 1.0? ;) ) seems great, no wait....it rocks! :nemu:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i didnt do any tweaking at all to make it look better, those were/are my default settings... and those arent the differences i was talking about... i assume everyone knows what FSAA is and that it can be forced driver-level. Tell EmuManiac to be more careful when he's showing off his emu (just kidding!)

OK no going to back to what I was saying earlier... is that Nemu pic using Nemu's own video plugin? Or are you just showing that the Nemu core runs Perfect Dark? I can't be sure, that's how close the graphics are (or how close you can make them if you want, ill demonstrate if you like heh).... except I don't think Emumaniac would be as immoral as to publish pics of Jabo's graphics without crediting him, so that can be ruled out right :)

Lemmy

Quote from my own post: P.S.: I am using a TNT2 Ultra which cannot do Antialiasing.

I thought this explains why there is no antialiasing in those shots. My card cannot do it so it is not there. And of course this implied that I did those shots, except for the title screen one.

Smiff: My core ran Perfect Dark about 12 months ago. But it took me some time to get there gfx wise. And as I said we don't use jabo's plugin why would we show any screenshots of it?

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
12 months...so that's where you've been.
working secretly on Nemu64...how COULD you Lemmy!
I think I need a closet, I am going to cry now.

:D

Kritikal

To get back to the subject of actual game emulation... Perfect Dark uses tons of "special effects" such as x ray vision, night vision, infra red, full screen blur when hit or tranquilized, static(in bad transmission cutscene), I wonder how well nemu and pj64 will handle those. I assume some or all will require frame buffer textures.

Kritikal

Oh, and the camspy, can't forget the camspy. I guess also multiplayer split screen, but that has been in many games.

Lemmy

True

Well that is true. Framebuffer emulation is very slow and if we did that those effects were only good in 320x240 native n64 resolution.

But there is one big advantage of Nemu compared to the n64: On the n64 this game is horribly slow - often below 15 fps. In Nemu its always 30 fps as long as the pc is fast enough. And of course the resolution is a lot higher :)

Re: True

Lemmy said:
Well that is true. Framebuffer emulation is very slow and if we did that those effects were only good in 320x240 native n64 resolution.

But there is one big advantage of Nemu compared to the n64: On the n64 this game is horribly slow - often below 15 fps. In Nemu its always 30 fps as long as the pc is fast enough. And of course the resolution is a lot higher :)

my favourite part of n64 emulation, pushing the games to look beautiful (1080 is a prime example) :nemu:

Kritikal

I would love to see someone do what has been hinted at and make an n64 emu for xbox. I bet frame buffer textures could be used at nearly full speed since it uses a unified memory architecture like n64. Plus it has a graphics chip that is a half step above geforce 3 so all the special effects could be emulated.

I wonder what it would take for someone like nvidia to make a graphics card that could do frame buffer textures very fast? Is it a limitation of the ram, or the way the ram is used? Should we start an email campaign? Couldn't such a feature be used for special effects in pc games too?

Kritikal

One more thing. I noticed neither pj64 nor nemu have the lens flare/corona/halo things on the lights in the perfect dark screens we have seen so far. Just thought I'd mention that.

Renegade said:

hehe, this made me laff, it made me laff a lot

Tesla-Guy

Smiff said:
If you see a screenshot that looks shit, are you going to go "ooh, that looks great"... I would hope not (I'd hope you say nothing lol).
erm except if it was a super hard to emulate gfx game? Like Yoshi for example?(not sure about this, i'm saying it cauz no emu managed to emulate its gfx (except one)

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Renegade said:

I hope you're going to come out of that closet soon ;)

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
all i can say is...........

nemu64 and pj64 : n64 emulation :: znes and snes9x : snes emulation

or maybe i should say nemu64 : pj64 :: znes : snes9x,

either way u put it there all good emus :cool:

Tesla-Guy

Nemu64 and pj64 have nothing to do with snes emulation, since snes emulators are all LLE and have 99,9999% compatibility ???